Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Hey peoplez,
So yeah, I'm new to the forum but ugh I swear my Macboook hates me! A little while ago it just wouldn't shut down, so I forced it to shut down, now it just seems to do it all the time o_O I've tried repairing the permissions (Always seems to be about a million permissions to repair every time), I've tried repairing the disk via the OS X install DVD (It came back saying everything appeared OK), I've EVEN tried re-installing the whole OS yet it still does it D: I know forcing it to shut down isn't good, eventually my mac will go bye-bye but I srsly need some help here o_O. Using a macbook with OS X 10.6.8 any other details about it just ask really.

Would appreciate it if someone got back to me quickly :3.

P.S OCCASIONALLY repairing the permissions before I shut down works, rarely.

Thanks,

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Have you tried an SMC reset yet?
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Btw, there is no need to shut down the Mac, unless you need to restart it. You can always use SLEEP.

Yeah I already tried the stuff that said

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

It didn't even do anything :S

EDIT: I don't usually put my mac to sleep, infact, I never have o_O what's really the benefits?

Nov 28, 2010
located
EDIT: I don't usually put my mac to sleep, infact, I never have o_O what's really the benefits?

Instant on, not needing to shut down all applications including the open documents. Less wear on the HDD during startup.

Since I switched I have maybe shutdown my portable Macs for less than 30 times, and that since 2004. I just use its SLEEP feature. But your SHUT DOWN problem is still a valid problem.
Do you still have warranty or Apple Care?

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Instant on, not needing to shut down all applications including the open documents. Less wear on the HDD during startup.

Since I switched I have maybe shutdown my portable Macs for less than 30 times, and that since 2004. I just use its SLEEP feature. But your SHUT DOWN problem is still a valid problem.
Do you still have warranty or Apple Care?

Yeah, but how slowly does it drain the battery by putting it in sleep mode? and well I don't know really, I got it as a gift from someone so I have no idea

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yeah, but how slowly does it drain the battery by putting it in sleep mode?

If the MB is unplugged, it uses 1% capacity per hour. But it doesn't need to be unplugged.

and well I don't know really, I got it as a gift from someone so I have no idea
Go here to check you warranty status via your serial number.

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
If the MB is unplugged, it uses 1% capacity per hour. But it doesn't need to be unplugged.

Go here to check you warranty status via your serial number.

Ah I see, I might start using that instead then, when I get this fixed, and well I was just looking at the link you gave me, it's like

"Repairs and Service Coverage"

That expires next June, however I don't have "AppleCare Protection Plan" (Too expensive at the time I assume)

EDIT: I THINK I just managed to do an SMC reset, while I was holding the keys down the LED on the magsafe thing turned green and went back to orange (it's charging atm) when I released the keys?

Last edited:

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Btw, there is no need to shut down the Mac, unless you need to restart it. You can always use SLEEP.

This isn't exactly true. Restarting clears out RAM, for one thing. Yes, I'm aware of the purge command, but most users aren't.

And more wear on the HDD when writing a 2-6 GB sleepimage. Also, you should always save your work before sleeping the computer, just like you would if shutting down.

Not in any way advocating never sleeping or anything like that, but saying there is no need to shut down isn't quite accurate either. I love sleep, and I use it all the time. But I find that it's helpful to restart once a month or so.

Yeah, but how slowly does it drain the battery by putting it in sleep mode? and well I don't know really, I got it as a gift from someone so I have no idea

VERY slowly. I can put my MacBook to sleep, come back in 24 hours, and it's lost maybe 10% battery charge (give or take a bit).

Nov 28, 2010
located
This isn't exactly true. Restarting clears out RAM, for one thing. Yes, I'm aware of the purge command, but most users aren't.

Not necessary for me.

And more wear on the HDD when writing a 2-6 GB sleepimage. Also, you should always save your work before sleeping the computer, just like you would if shutting down.
I disabled it, as I don't like the sleepimage, but you are correct, the standard setting is that sleepimage.

Not in any way advocating never sleeping or anything like that, but saying there is no need to shut down isn't quite accurate either. I love sleep, and I use it all the time. But I find that it's helpful to restart once a month or so.
Maybe I should have added the "IMHO" disclaimer.

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
After resetting the SMC and all this, the problem is STILL there, just have no idea what to do now :mad:

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011

I've been checking the console just now, it seems to have a few odd things in it..

"com.f-secure.clstate-periodic[521]: This system does not have a valid license key."

I don't even use F-Secure anymore (I don't think I even uninstalled that correctly, I just shoved it in the trash) Idk why it's saying i dont have a valid license key o_O I got this macbook as a gift from a family member brand new from apple o_O

and this,
" smcFanControl[370]: IMKClient: exception caught trying to get the rootProxy for connection *load of other writing* NSPortTimeoutException : connection timeout: did not receive reply"

"VMware Fusion Helper[372]: Could not connect the action buttonPressed: to target of class NSApplication"

Not really sure..

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
When you got this MacBook as a gift, had it been erased? If not, did you erase it? Whenever I get a used computer, that's my first response: erase and reinstall the OS. That way I know EVERYTHING that has been done to the system.

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
When you got this MacBook as a gift, had it been erased? If not, did you erase it? Whenever I get a used computer, that's my first response: erase and reinstall the OS. That way I know EVERYTHING that has been done to the system.

Oh, it was brand new when I got it, never been used by anyone else, normally that'd be the same think I'd do, but this was brand new

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I see. Then just follow the steps simsaladimbamba (I always have to copy/paste that name) posted and you should be set. Sounds like F-Secure is what is holding you up.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I see. Then just follow the steps simsaladimbamba (I always have to copy/paste that name) posted and you should be set. Sounds like F-Secure is what is holding you up.

You could call me "sim" or use Text Expander, that is how I write my name, namely "sim" and then that whole " simsaladimbamba " comes out of it.

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011

Well, I just did that and did a reboot to make sure, it has seemed to have worked, but then I'll wait a few more hours before I try again, just to be sure it's all cleaned up, will report back with my findings!

MitoBEve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Hellooow, well I still seem to be having the problem, its getting on my nerves :mad: idk what else to do o_O

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I don't know what to suggest other than reinstalling the OS. It looks like you may be getting an issue from SMC Fan Control, try uninstalling that.

swbusiness

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Found this on another post - GREAT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaven571
Whenever I have an issue and can't figure it out, I:

1) Run Repair Disk Permissions (from Disk Utility)
2) Delete whatever is in the caches: you>Library>Caches; your OSX drive>Library>Caches (this will require your password)
3) restart and do a PRAM reset (hold down Command, R, Option, and P keys before the chime sounds, continue to hold until the chime sounds again and release)

Almost always has my MBP running smooth as silk.
My MBP was not shutting down - I was getting desperate ....
THIS WORKED!!!!! It now shuts down very quickly, the startup is still a little slow - any advice on speeding this up?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

Sandra

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1) Run Repair Disk Permissions (from Disk Utility)
First, the OP already said that doesn't work. Read my response to your post in another thread about this.
2) Delete whatever is in the caches
No, do NOT do this! It will only slow your system and will not address the issue being discussed here. Again, read my response to your post in the other thread.
3) restart and do a PRAM reset (hold down Command, R, Option, and P keys before the chime sounds, continue to hold until the chime sounds again and release)
Again, read the other thread. Resetting NVRAM is only used for very specific purposes. It isn't something you need to do whenever you have any problem of any kind. Learn how these things work before you recommend them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.