Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

STC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I just noticed this. The screen didn't show the "sync in progess" screen w/ the battery. It would be nice to see that screen, not just the lil pinwheel at the top.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
That's one of the new iOS 5 features and one of my favorite, in fact.

It's nice to be able to continue whatever you've been doing uninterruptedly while syncing, dontcha think.

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
ya i like being able to still do what i want on the phone..talk/text and not worry about sliding to cancel sync then starting all over again

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
It bothered me at first because there was something about seeing on the iPhone screen that it's synching, but I have discovered now that I like being able to use the phone while it's syncing. If you want to see if it's still doing its thing, just bring up iTunes!

The problem I am having is how slow it is! I had deleted all my music when I installed iOS5 last week but decided to add it back because I want it on the car when I'm not in 3G range. It is taking forever to sync over WiFi! I'm thinking about canceling it and just hooking it up by USB in the hopes that it'll be fast. At this rate, I'll be up all night!

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
... It is taking forever to sync over WiFi! I'm thinking about canceling it and just hooking it up by USB in the hopes that it'll be fast. At this rate, I'll be up all night!

Isn't the point to be able to plug in your iOS device, and have it sync while you are asleep? A few hours before I go to bed, i open up iTunes on my iMac, and download all app updates. Then, before I fall asleep, I plugin iPad and iPhone. They sync wirelessly and update all the app updates I just did. Pretty awesome I no longer have to connect to computer through USB! :cool:

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
My iPhone syncs with my MacBook and I have cats. Cats and open laptops sitting around the house do not mix! None of our laptops are left open unattended, but especially my MBP!

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
ladytonya

You can just plug it in while its syncing and it will transition to the USB cable automatically off of the wifi sync. Also for the first set up it is wise to use the cable because of the speed issues. After you have your main bulk of music on the phone and are just doing standard syncs with maybe a few songs and what not then its good to use the wifi sync.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
My iPhone syncs with my MacBook and I have cats. Cats and open laptops sitting around the house do not mix! None of our laptops are left open unattended, but especially my MBP!

Perhaps syncing with iCloud is the better use case for you. I only set my iMac to sleep while at work. This means overnight my iPad/iPhone get all the updates necessary. If your main computers are in sleep mode, or otherwise inaccessible to iOS syncing, it makes it hard to enjoy the benefits of WiFi syncing.

just my .02 cents.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
Perhaps syncing with iCloud is the better use case for you. I only set my iMac to sleep while at work. This means overnight my iPad/iPhone get all the updates necessary. If your main computers are in sleep mode, or otherwise inaccessible to iOS syncing, it makes it hard to enjoy the benefits of WiFi syncing.

just my .02 cents.

I don't think so because whenever I am using my macbook i leave the phone in my pocket or on my desk and sync. I don't have to be plugged into power for the iPhone to sync via wifi so as I am using the computer or around the house in the evening the sync happens wirelessly. I now don't need to waste 8-10 hours worth of energy usage by having my computer on over night just in hopes that a once in how ever many months update happens to be available for my iPhone.

The best benefit for me is that I no longer need to have the iPhone cable at my computer so I have no wires to my lap top.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions! I did do the first sync by WiFi, that would have taken forever!

As for backing up to iCloud, I haven't yet decided if I want to do that. I have a 32 GB iPhone and when I get a 4S or the next version, whatever they end up calling it, it will be 64 or larger. My backups are way bigger than the 5GB iCloud max and until I figure out that I really want to use the service I don't want to pay for a size upgrade. Right now, I just sync by cable, no biggie.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Thanks for the suggestions! I did do the first sync by WiFi, that would have taken forever!

As for backing up to iCloud, I haven't yet decided if I want to do that. I have a 32 GB iPhone and when I get a 4S or the next version, whatever they end up calling it, it will be 64 or larger. My backups are way bigger than the 5GB iCloud max and until I figure out that I really want to use the service I don't want to pay for a size upgrade. Right now, I just sync by cable, no biggie.

I doubt your backups are bigger than 5 gigs. iCloud backup doesn't back up media or anything like that, basically it is just configuration files. It doesn't even back up "apps" just the configs for them. You would have to have thousands of apps for your iCloud backup to get that big.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
If it had a progress bar and we lost that, then I'd say you had a good point. But this is great to be able to sync and use your iPad at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.