Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Dear all - Any help would be appreciated,

I know there is a lot of discussion about the Iphone 4S/ ios5 battery life but I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this :

My Standby and Usage statistics are almost identical, for example I fully charged my 4S last night and took it off at midnight. When I checked this morning not only did the battery drop by 30 % my usage was over 8 hours without me even touching the phone and I can confirm every possible setting(Wifi,Location,Bluetooth,Push,Face time etc) besides an alarm was off!! Please also note that this was after a full restore from new with none of my apps or mail accounts or anything even added!

I have tried the following remedies that other forum members have suggested :

Hard Reset
Hard Reset at 100% Battery
Reset Network Settings
Delete Mail Accounts
Restore from New

Nothing seems to work and the battery is draining ridiculously with my usage going up whilst the phone is on standby. ios4 didn't used to do this and the usage and standby stats were always reflective of what was actually going on.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any tips how to solve it? If not maybe I need a new 4S - just seems silly 3 days after launch!

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
same thing

I m having the same issues, and I did all that and turn notification on and off and it fixed it for a few hours...And then it went back again after I fully charged it just to check....I also noticed the battery is not lasting very much...It is almost as if something is running on the background.....AS we speak I am restoring the phone to see if it fixes the problem.

tigert07

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
same here, i thought it was an email issue, but nope. i have identical stats and its bugging me a lot.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Someone on another forum just called Apple about this and they were told to set up a Genius appointment.

carragoldian

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Someone on another forum just called Apple about this and they were told to set up a Genius appointment.

Not sure how a Genius appointment will help. I have yet to find anyone with iOS 5 (on an iPhone 4 or 4S) that doesn't have this issue.

Like the OP I did a full factory restore with no restore from backup, this should have set the phone up as a completely vanilla phone. I then disabled absolutely everything, all notifications, all location services, cellular data, wifi, everything. The weird thing about my usage stats is that the standby is accurate, i.e. one hour after disconnecting the fully charged phone from the power it reports standby as 60 mins (I deliberately didn't touch the phone), but the usage is reported at 56 minutes. Apparently IOS 5 is capable of making time, it seems to have been able to work for 1:56 during only 1 hour elapsed. Now that's impressive...:)

If I had to guess, I would say that this is an artifact of moving to a dual core processor, but still, the high CPU usage with absolutely nothing enabled is crushing battery life and turning the phone into a doorstop. I want iOS 4 back!!!

7timethecrystal

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
Not sure how a Genius appointment will help. I have yet to find anyone with iOS 5 (on an iPhone 4 or 4S) that doesn't have this issue.!

I'm talking about it in other threads, but my wife's iPhone 4S, identical to mine, has superior battery life to my 3GS. My iPhone 4S, however, is draining 6-7%/hr on standby.

I have Genius appointment this evening, I'll post my results.

carragoldian

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I'm talking about it in other threads, but my wife's iPhone 4S, identical to mine, has superior battery life to my 3GS. My iPhone 4S, however, is draining 6-7%/hr on standby.

I have Genius appointment this evening, I'll post my results.

Let us know.

I just decided to try something even more radical. I put the phone in airplane mode and guess what. Even with absolutely nothing running and no network, it's still running up usage at right around 1 minute of usage per minute of sitting idle. Definitely something wrong here.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Not sure how a Genius appointment will help. I have yet to find anyone with iOS 5 (on an iPhone 4 or 4S) that doesn't have this issue.

Doesn't have what issue? The identical usage and standby time?

I have a 4S with obviously iOS5 and I'm not having that problem. Just checked and I'm at 70% battery with 8hr standby time and 2hr and 3 minute usage. Usually when you have identical usage and standby time, that means an app is hanging. I suggest doing a hard reset and trying to isolate the culprit. That has worked for me in the past with previous iOS versions.

tmuraca

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
I am having the same issue. However, the thing that is bugging me more (as this battery drain is not the first time I've seen it happen after upgrades, although the first time I, specifically have had it) is that when I do a restore to factory settings in iTunes, for some reason it has failed due to network connection loss over and over. Finally, I am about 2 min left from DLing the direct file found in this forum and am going to try it manually. I dont have any throttling of my net, and this happened as well when upgrading the iPad 2 at home on a different provider, differ OS with iTunes.

Is there any other evidence of Apple getting nailed to the point of failing servers?

Medinarem

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009
Took the iPhone to store

I first did a restore at my house it worked for two days and then it started up again. I took it to the store and he told me that they are two types of restore and that he needed to do a DFU restore first before he can give me a new phone. It has been 1 day and half and it seems to be working now. Will keep everyone posted.

kipwinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
same here

I have the same problem! I tried everything.... really all the things mentioned.
Nothing works...

I set the phone as a new iPhone. Did the whole DFU thing and nothing. I did notice something. When I remove the sim card, the problem is gone. That is to say... I leave it on standby and it doesn't drain the battery. It's really strange.

I am clueless!

Hope someone has an answer..

kipwinger

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
t-mobile

Any of you using a contract free iPhone and using t-mobile sim cards?
I read on a Dutch blog that there are some problems with the iPhone 4S and the t-mobile sim cards!

VydorScope

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011

Um... if you read the various battery threads you would find TONS of people without this issue, including me. Yesterday got 17 hours standby with 5.5 hours of usage before i plugged in and went to bed.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
My battery life has close to DOUBLED with what i did...

Dont mess with location settings and all that other crap.

Do what i did.

Drain the battery.. I drained it and while it was at 1% it lasted quite a while which means to me that the % calibration is off.

I let it sit for about 3 hours. Not sure if it helped in the end but thats what I did and my phones battery life is perfect right now.

Charge the phone overnight with the phone off.

That should make a major difference. A total drain, reset and uninterrupted charge to the battery.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Drain the battery.. I drained it and while it was at 1% it lasted quite a while which means to me that the % calibration is off.

I let it sit for about 3 hours. Not sure if it helped in the end but thats what I did and my phones battery life is perfect right now.

Charge the phone overnight with the phone off.

That should make a major difference. A total drain, reset and uninterrupted charge to the battery.

I did the same thing you did. The battery does seem to last a bit longer but the % calibration is still WAY off. At 1% I can watch nearly 40 minutes of video before it shuts down. You can't rely on that battery % reading one bit.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

I don't have this issue. This was all 3G usage and a little GPS usage. Also I have EVERYTHING on, Siri, push, location services, iCloud, WiFi, Bluetooth...

c0031ce0.jpg

My phone finally turned itself off at 5 hours and 35 minutes of usage. This is pretty close to Apple's claim of 6 hours of 3G usage.

Last edited:

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Same problems here, decided to reset my phone, and setup as a new device. Transferred everything across manually, and apart from a few calls, loads of texts, weather checking and about an hour of web browsing, this is what i am at, or was when i took the screen shot.

169202c8.jpg

It's now at 5 hours, 29 minutes, and gone down to 38% battery.

Going to let it run down on its own and then do a full charge.

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
just got back from genius bar, refuse to address my battery problem because i had 2 replacements. Got it first day of release home button wiggle up and down left and right called apple and they sent me one with dead pixel and wiggle home button, took it back to genius bar right away and right now end up with serial# started with C38 worst battery life ever, 9 hours standby 2 hours usage now its 16 percent left everything is off. :mad::mad::mad: gonna return to ATT and wait for next batch...

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Same problems here, decided to reset my phone, and setup as a new device. Transferred everything across manually, and apart from a few calls, loads of texts, weather checking and about an hour of web browsing, this is what i am at, or was when i took the screen shot.

It's now at 5 hours, 29 minutes, and gone down to 38% battery.

Going to let it run down on its own and then do a full charge.

That's actually really good. What kind of battery life did you expect?

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
That's actually really good. What kind of battery life did you expect?

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy with it now, but before i set it up as new, it was absolutely pants, but it was restored from a backup from my ip4.

It was after checking here and other threads, that i decided to setup as a new phone, and sync everything across manually.

Maybe it was going from an ip4 backup that was causing my battery problems with my 4S?

c613m

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
Ottawa
I drained it and while it was at 1% it lasted quite a while which means to me that the % calibration is off.

This, I just completely drained mine (had no issues though, but wanted to give it a first calibration), and mine last a good 25 minutes streaming a movie on Plex with 1% left. Will report back in a few days if it's improved anything, but the battery in my 4S so far has been phenomenal.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    107.4 KB · Views: 151

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
I really believe it's a sim thing. I am in europe... but perhaps you guys are om contract?

How would a sim affect the battery life? Unless it's been cut wrong and making a connection on the sim tray somehow? But, the tray is lined with a a grey sticker/insulator on part of it.

I'm on contract, and in the UK. Restored my phone as a new phone, manually transferred stuff across and it seems to be having a better battery life now.

JonaYO

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
This is how mine looked today, i wonder if its bad?

iphone 4s 32 Gb black, iCloud on, location services on mostly everything on

Attachments

• E004DE38-D9EB-4E58-BB27-938C0A216AA9.PNG
    E004DE38-D9EB-4E58-BB27-938C0A216AA9.PNG
    106 KB · Views: 156
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.