Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxhdn

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Ok, so all of you who continue to insist that there must be a strong accent because of southern cali or whatever, that's total crap. I've had trouble with mine too but it worked great for the first week I had it. Now it gets EVERYTHING wrong, won't connect to the network half of the time, keeps saying theres been a problem etc. So since it worked for the first week and doesn't now, does that mean my accent changed??? Why not just aknowledge the fact that siri kinda sucks??

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Ok, so all of you who continue to insist that there must be a strong accent because of southern cali or whatever, that's total crap. I've had trouble with mine too but it worked great for the first week I had it. Now it gets EVERYTHING wrong, won't connect to the network half of the time, keeps saying theres been a problem etc. So since it worked for the first week and doesn't now, does that mean my accent changed??? Why not just aknowledge the fact that siri kinda sucks??

Let's remember that Siri is beta and as such it means that Apple is continually working on it. Could be they're working on the server for the past few days. Maybe next week it'll be better than before, who knows?

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Siri suddenly stopped working for me today, she was complaining every time that "uh oh something's wrong". So I disabled Siri, rebooted my phone, and then restarted Siri. She immediately started working again. However her response time even after that has been a lot slower today on some but not all inquiries.

It must be an Apple issue because at the time I was getting the best data rates I have seen from Sprint since I got the phone, about 1.5 Mbps.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I've seen a lot of posts claiming that turning off Siri and turning her back on again fixes some problems. This indicates to me that some of the problems are with the client...

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Siri mostly hangs for about 20-30 seconds and then says "sorry I'm having trouble connecting to the network." The network is fine and everything works manually.

I'm going to stop trying to get it to do anything...almost as annoying as the new faulty iCloud.

It isn't a network issue, it's a server side issue. You can have the best connection in the world but if Siri isn't working server side, you're just going to be looking at the spinning circle forever.

For what it does, I like it. There's definitely room for improvement: by the time the iPhone 5 comes out it will be fully featured.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I'd like to see Siri integrated into more areas of the iPhone. Twitter, for example, would be great. It works wonderfully for me. I almost never have to restate myself. Siri doesn't work well if you're in a loud room, mumble, or have a strong accent. It's not perfect, but it's far better than anything I've seen before.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I'd like to see Siri integrated into more areas of the iPhone. Twitter, for example, would be great. It works wonderfully for me. I almost never have to restate myself. Siri doesn't work well if you're in a loud room, mumble, or have a strong accent. It's not perfect, but it's far better than anything I've seen before.

Just set up twitter updating from texting, create the contact, and have Siri message that contact with whatever twitter update you wan and it will be tweeted.

You can do the same for Facebook.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Siri learns as time goes on. I've heard people on other forums mentioning that it can take a day or two to learn your voice properly.

Also, Siri is still in Beta, and there are more features getting added next year.

kbizzle

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2010
Siri sucks

I also do not have much of an accent. I'm from cape cod, and have been asked by many a person from around the country where I'm from, since I don't have an accent. Long story short, Siri can't seem to get much right.
I know it's a work in progress, but we use dragon at work, so I'm used to some dictation quirks. Siri's mistakes just don't make sense. I tried to reply to a friend the other day saying "I'm on my way, and I'm bringing the coupon."
First of all, coupon doesn't seem to be in her vocabulary. I got various interpretations including... "I'm on my way, and i make" and "I'm on my way, but me on."
Ive tried speaking slower and faster. Anyone who has used computer dictation will know they teach you to annunciate, but to speak fast, because slowing down actually some how makes it harder for dictation programs to understand. At least that is what dragon teaches.
Also, it must not work well with google maps or yelp, because she can't seem to find a single restaurant on cape cod. I'm sure a lot of issues will continue to improve, but for now I agree. Siri is more of a hassle than a help for now.

PS - dragon works a million times better. (not the iPhone version, which is only slightly better than Siri)

fredric100

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Works Well but Often Unavailable

Works very well for me when it's available. However, it seems to be unavailable about half the time I try to use it = unavailable about 5x per day. The spotty availability is frustrating.

Last edited:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I tried out Siri for a day and concluded that she really didn't fit into my lifestyle. Besides, I know where I am most of the time on the space-time continuum and have no need to contact people all day long to let them know where I am. :D

BrunoWill

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
I think it's great, it can understand what I am talking about even I use my bad english. That's so funny!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Voice recognition now is like touch on the Newton.

It might be the future, but it's just we've just not reached a level of technology where it doesn't create more problems than it solves yet, and we're probably not going to for another 20 years.

Phazer

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Siri is one of the biggest failures in the history of Apple.

OP, I have had the exact same problems. Ignore the fanboys who are insinuating that it's somehow your fault.

imnew2mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Another Siri Failure

I don't typically post but the iPhone 4S sucks in so many ways I can't stand it. I want my old 4 back.

Siri is useless. 1 in 50 times it will work. I get I can't take a request right now or or somethings wrong with additional various responses.

The camera they said is so awesome is far from it. First off it can not focus up close or anything resembling close. The photos I do take are very grainy in high light areas.

The battery life is horrible!

I can not see any speed difference what so ever.

The supposedly better signal is a load of crap. The only better signal is that the bars show deceptively high signal levels. 4 bars might mean you really have no signal and can't make a call. Or 4 bars means the signal is horrible. I have many calls that are ridiculously quiet like the person is in a hollow room standing back very far from the phone. Some have heavy static when I have 5 bars.

Apple has failed on ever aspect of this device. What a complete failure!

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
I guess mileage will vary but these are things I am able to do just fine with Siri:

1. Text my wife every day by saying "Tell my wife I'm on my way home. I love you love you love you with all my heart." I say this normally with no pauses at all.

2. Turn off all my alarms on my vacations days. I have 3 alarms set for weekdays. I say "Disable all alarms" to turn them off and "Turn on all alarms" to turn them all on. Works every time.

3. Checks weather without issue.

4. Set reminders consistently...95% correct.

5. Set calendar entries.

6. Used it this weekend at CVS to find what 90% of prices were for a sale. Such as "What is 90% of 5 dollars and 99 cents"

And the possibility of Siri could be endless given the videos in this link: http://9to5mac.com/2011/11/26/using-the-siri-proxy-to-watch-videos-on-plex/

And a nice WP7 and Siri comparison: WP7 vs Siri

I understand mileage definitely varies and there are some really good days and then there are some really bad days for any tech...but this "complete failure" stuff really needs to stop.

But on the other hand as well, for anyone that argues it's a beta, when it's the core of at least 2 commercials, you don't advertise something that doesn't work - beta is not an excuse when you're trying to sell your product with that feature.

I have the sneaking suspicion that it's working a lot more than it's not working - especially with my experience.

I will give this one troubleshooting hint for those that are having problems. One thing I notice at times when I'm switching from the house wifi in the car to 3G - if the phone tries to hold on to that last little bar of wifi it will affect Siri. Either make sure you have good wifi connection or 3G connection or else Siri will time out.

AlkFoo

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
I was having issues with Siri last night and most of today. I took the advice of "disabling" Siri (Turning it off). I waited about 10 seconds, turned it back on (enabled it) and it was fine.

Anyone having a problem with it not even responding or saying, "I'm sorry, there is something wrong, etc...". This worked for me.

Mr. Fixit

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
SIRI has been AWOL ALL DAY!

No doubt SIRI is packed with potential. Nobody can take that away from her.
My big grip is (as stated earlier) it's experimental. Not ready for prime time. My "answer" on another (completely biased) forum was that it was "brilliant" of Apple to release it in Beta, as it needed a huge data base of different voices, and their beta program couldn't supply that many voices in normal testing. "Brilliant" making your paid, loyal customers help finish your job? I don't think so. The rush to get it to market and start profiting from it overtook good business judgement.

I went to the Apple site and watched the beautifully-produced commercial for the 4S, the guy jogging along, while changing his calendar events on the run. Great stuff, but what they don't tell you is that, 1) It's only in beta, and, 2) From time to time it will be out of service for extended periods while they test and tweak. So even though it is a major part of the 4S campaign, it's known to be flawed and it's still being built.

Our family is pretty much "pure Apple", 'pads, phones, desktop & laps, but on this one, Apple pretty much stepped in it.

zatoichi101

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
My friend and I received our iphone 4s's today and i finally got mine activated on crappy AT&T after hours of trying. Long story short, Siri seems to be completely useless and i wanted to see if others are also experiencing problems. ....

I am having the EXACT same trouble with my new 4s! I switched from a Blackberry to the new iPhone 4s on Sprint, but so far, the Siri feature has been useless. I cannot seem to voice dial anymore. For example, I have three entries for my Dad -- separated by different names: Dad Home, Dad Mobile and Dad Work. Three seperate entries, not one entry under Dad and then separated by fields. This worked better on Blackberry, saving me an occasional second step of answering, "Which Dad?" By making a separate entry called "Dad Home" that is all I needed and the phone would dial his home.

But Siri cannot even get that far. I say, "Call Dad Home," and Siri responds with, "Which Dad? Dad Home, Dad Mobile or Dad Work?" I say again, "Dad Home," and Siri just repeats the same question. This goes on over and over again. It will NOT dial my father's home automatically. I have to then pick up the phone, look at it and then highlight Dad Home.

I have a lot of entries in my address book that are like this.

Siri really sucks.

I want my OLD voice dial feature.

So, bleomycin -- you are NOT alone. And the other users -- sheep -- on this site have been extremely rude to you, I see. Siri is simply not working for me either.

NotAdvisable

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2011
Perth, Australia
I am having the EXACT same trouble with my new 4s! I switched from a Blackberry to the new iPhone 4s on Sprint, but so far, the Siri feature has been useless. I cannot seem to voice dial anymore. For example, I have three entries for my Dad -- separated by different names: Dad Home, Dad Mobile and Dad Work. Three seperate entries, not one entry under Dad and then separated by fields. This worked better on Blackberry, saving me an occasional second step of answering, "Which Dad?" By making a separate entry called "Dad Home" that is all I needed and the phone would dial his home.

But Siri cannot even get that far. I say, "Call Dad Home," and Siri responds with, "Which Dad? Dad Home, Dad Mobile or Dad Work?" I say again, "Dad Home," and Siri just repeats the same question. This goes on over and over again. It will NOT dial my father's home automatically. I have to then pick up the phone, look at it and then highlight Dad Home.

I have a lot of entries in my address book that are like this.

Siri really sucks.

I want my OLD voice dial feature.

So, bleomycin -- you are NOT alone. And the other users -- sheep -- on this site have been extremely rude to you, I see. Siri is simply not working for me either.

Not to be mean, but why duplicate the data for your Dad three times on an iPhone?
Have one contact with separate fields in that contact for Home, Work and Mobile.
The reason why you are having this problem, is because when you say "Dad Work" it is looking for a contact named 'Dad' and a number field named 'Work'.

I love Siri, and I have a real Australian accent.
It always works, and I haven't had any problems with it other than some different words shown on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.