Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wadawow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I don't remember this before but since I upgraded to IOS 5 if I get a text while I"m on the phone it will very loudly blare in my ear the alert sound... in the middle of my conversation. ANy way to stop this?

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
I don't remember this before but since I upgraded to IOS 5 if I get a text while I"m on the phone it will very loudly blare in my ear the alert sound... in the middle of my conversation. ANy way to stop this?

You can turn off the audible alert for texts -

1) Settings
2) Sounds
3) Text tone - select "none" at the very top

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Because that will mean there is no sound ANYTIME a text comes in ... the problem is that the sound plays while in a phone call.

Well, you can always enable the sounds again once you're done with your phone call. Or, just silence the phone entirely using the switch on the side of the phone. Either way.

iPhone is not smart enough to know when you're on a phone call so it won't silence your alerts automatically. You either have to turn them off in Settings, or silence the whole phone using the switch. I wish the phone could just detect when you're on a call and simply silence any incoming alerts. Seems like common sense but, for whatever reason, it's not part of iOS.

Well, you can always enable the sounds again once you're done with your phone call.
Hold on a second while I finish laughing....

... Ok all done. Wow, I can imagine "Oh HI MOM! So good to talk to you. Here hold on, let me call you back. I need to go into the settings on my iPhone to disable all my text alert sounds. *pause* no it's ok, I'll turn it back on after our call ends. *pause* Yeah, I do that with every single phone call I get every day of my life. Why do you ask??"

Or, just silence the phone entirely using the switch on the side of the phone. Either way.

Much better reasoning. Now this one is actually a do-able work around. Obviously not ideal, but much more convenient.

Personally, the text sound isn't blaringly loud for me so I'm not bothered by it. Actually, I like knowing when a text comes in.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Hold on a second while I finish laughing....

... Ok all done. Wow, I can imagine "Oh HI MOM! So good to talk to you. Here hold on, let me call you back. I need to go into the settings on my iPhone to disable all my text alert sounds. *pause* no it's ok, I'll turn it back on after our call ends. *pause* Yeah, I do that with every single phone call I get every day of my life. Why do you ask??"

Much better reasoning. Now this one is actually a do-able work around. Obviously not ideal, but much more convenient.

Personally, the text sound isn't blaringly loud for me so I'm not bothered by it. Actually, I like knowing when a text comes in.

Sarcasm duly noted.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
I remember this happening in iOS 4 as well, though not 100% sure.

It did/does, and it's annoying as hell. I don't know why it's so hard for the phone to simply detect when you're on a call and silence the alerts for you until you're done. I rarely have a complaint about my iPhone or Apple-anything in general ... but this is one of them.

Whatever, I digress :rolleyes:

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
It definitely did do it prior to iOS5. And it is pretty annoying when it happens! There needs an option where the sound/vibration is disabled while the proximity sensor says the the phone is pressed against the side of your head!

I agree that doing it manually before/after calls isn't realistic.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
How is that not effective?

I agree, that is not effective at all. So every time I get a call I have to do all that then answer a call?
I do find this very annoying. I wish the alert sounds shut off while on the phone or at least change to vibrate.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
I agree, that is not effective at all. So every time I get a call I have to do all that then answer a call?
I do find this very annoying. I wish the alert sounds shut off while on the phone or at least change to vibrate.

Submit a suggestion to Apple via the link above. Maybe they'll change it.

iVB

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
bff

Exactly what I was going to say...lol

my silence mode has a vibration in it (which I need it while I am not talking to anyone) so that is not useful in my case at all.

the phone has a sensor that stop accidental clicking by the ear, why THE HELL they don't do the same to stop vibration from the same sensor?

btw a lot of you talking about disabling sounds while the vibration is much more annoying and it is the big deal in this case in my opinion!

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
happened to me yesterday - I knew it! It wasnt like that before. I had to ask the other person on the phone to repeat what he said.

It is complete non-sense. When my phone rings I tend to just pick up, I will most certainly not include in my routine to switch the mute button to off. It is probably just a bug. There is no point, especially after introducing the very useful notification centre, to ring a sound when you are speaking to someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.