Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Hi,

I bought a Mac Mini just for the power, quiet fans and low wattage. I'm completely new to servers so please forgive me if this is obvious:

I keep getting emails from the System Administrator (I thought that was me!) informing me that:

The IPv4 network address of server.local has changed from xxx.xxx.x.x to xxx.xxx.x.x. Some services may not work correctly until they have been updated to use the new configuration.

Only the last digit changes.

Is this normal or something I should worry about? If it's normal, how do I stop all the emails? And if it is a problem, how do I solve it?

I actually don't really need all the server features, so was wondering if it would be better just to disable them somehow?

Thank you,
Darren

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Hi,

I bought a Mac Mini just for the power, quiet fans and low wattage. I'm completely new to servers so please forgive me if this is obvious:

I keep getting emails from the System Administrator (I thought that was me!) informing me that:

Only the last digit changes.

Is this normal or something I should worry about? If it's normal, how do I stop all the emails? And if it is a problem, how do I solve it?

I actually don't really need all the server features, so was wondering if it would be better just to disable them somehow?

Thank you,
Darren

If you are running this at home you are probably getting new IP's via DHCP. You will need a static IP to stop this.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
If you are running this at home you are probably getting new IP's via DHCP. You will need a static IP to stop this.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any reason why DHCP would be more advantageous than a static IP? To make it static, presumably I would have to set 'Configure IPv4' to 'Manually'?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Thanks for the reply.

Is there any reason why DHCP would be more advantageous than a static IP? To make it static, presumably I would have to set 'Configure IPv4' to 'Manually'?

DHCP hands out available IP's as available. Servers should always use a static IP because when the IP changes it could disabled services or change paths that services rely on.

NogbadTheBad

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
United Kingdom
DHCP hands out available IP's as available. Servers should always use a static IP because when the IP changes it could disabled services or change paths that services rely on.

Or Configure a DHCP reservation for the server.

It's odd that the IP address is changing if the mini isn't being rebooted as half way through the DHCP lease period the mini should send a request to the DHCP server to re-use its current IP address.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Are you using an Airport Extreme as your router? For some reason those totally ignore DHCP lease times. I have cameras that will just reboot (3 seconds of down time) and when they come back up the Airport Ext will give them a different address then what they had earlier that day. I set the lease time to 30 days and a reboot still resulted in a new address.

Picking up a new address often on a server can lead to problems especially if your accessing it via port forwarding. You definitely want to make a reservation if your router is an Apple device.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I know this is an old thread, but I am getting these emails all the time. I know why the ip address is changing, my question is how do I stop the freakin emails!

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Just delete them.

Since I do not run the server OS, I don't know how to stop OS X from sending you emails, but you could configure your mail service/client to just delete them based a rule. I would suggest a combination sender/subject line rule.

Chimaera

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2002
Personally my recommendation is to use static IP assignments via DHCP.

How this is set up varies depending on the DHCP server (which I'm guessing is your router) but look for something like 'Static IP' or 'IP Reservations' or something like that in your DCHP config.

The reason I recommend this is because setting IPs manually on the devices a) has a greater margin of error and b) if you need to make a change you need to go back to that device - a pain if you have a number of devices to change.

With static assignments via DHCP there is less likelihood of cockup in the settings - since everything bar the device IP is a global setting so if it works for one it works for all. All IPs are set in one place so if you need to change a bunch you do it in just one place, update your config and you're done. Additionally as most kit is shipped enabled for DHCP it's one less setup step on a device to do.

Generally to set it up all you need is the MAC address of the network interface and the IP address you want to give to it - simple.

One thing to be aware of though, some DHCP servers insist that static assigned IPs must be within the IP range set up on the DHCP server. Others insist that its outside of that range* so check the documentation on your DHCP server beforehand to set it up correctly.

By which I mean the 'pool' of IPs available to the DHCP server - for the sake of argument lets say the DHCP server has 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.199 configured as its range (ie 100 devices). Best practice would be to keep the static IPs out of that (for example do static assignments on 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.99), but some routers wont be able to handle that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.