Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
OK, there's plenty of threads on the internet giving help/instructions on this. But none I can find that deal with the implications of Lion and iOS 5/iCloud.

I have an iMac that's about 2 years old. I've now got a Macbook Pro as well. I'd quite like to able to sync my iPhone with the Macbook Pro. But it's tied to the iMac. Is there any way I can sync the iPhone to the new Macbook Pro without losing App data, settings etc.

I've got all my music, TV shows, movies, apps backed up on a portable hard drive. So it really is just the app data I'm worried about keeping.

I understand the Library path has moved in Lion (that's where the iPhone backups are kept right?), iOS 5 brings into play automatic wireless syncing and iCloud backs up iDevice content. Do those factors have any impact on the best path forward for me?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
This problems is what I like least about Apple and iTunes.

I change computers often and hate loosing my music, etc.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
If you move the whole iTunes folder from one machine to the other then it will sync from the new one as if nothing happened. I've never lost anything moving computers with iTunes.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yep, make sure you have iTunes set to consolidate stuff into the iTunes library and it's simple to move it from computer to computer if you change computers often.

If you're losing your music or other stuff, something's not right in your approach.

I don't know about the iTunes location changing in Lion, when I got the MBA I restored my TimeMachine backup as part of the setup and everything just worked. Looking in iTunes, it says my media folder is "/Users/<myname>/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music" where <myname> is my login/username.

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
If you move the whole iTunes folder from one machine to the other then it will sync from the new one as if nothing happened. I've never lost anything moving computers with iTunes.

Ah, OK. Including the .xml files etc. Not just the iTunes Media folder. Then you're right actually. I've managed not to lose anything and can sync my iPhone with 2 computers. Thank you so much. :D :D

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Could you please tell me exactly what files I need to move. I am using two iMacs running bootcamp with Win7 Pro.

What files in the iTunes directory do I need to move to carry everything from one computer to another

szolr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Could you please tell me exactly what files I need to move. I am using two iMacs running bootcamp with Win7 Pro.

What files in the iTunes directory do I need to move to carry everything from one computer to another

This folder from OS X. iTunes. In Windows it'll be in your username folder, documents and settings, iTunes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 18.38.36.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 18.38.36.png
    739.2 KB · Views: 133
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.