Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derrick2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
This is the second time to happen to me. My 4s is plugged in overnight, I take a look at some stage during the night and it is at 100%. I wake up in the morning and the battery is at 96%, even though the charge indicator is still on.

This morning (second time to happen) I even chaecked my emails and played around with it still plugged in, and the charge went to to 95%. It's plugged into a wall charger, not a computer.

I did search the forums and rebooted and now it is charging at 97% but why is it losing its charge while plugged in?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I am having the same issue. I have multiple adapters and they all result in the same thing. Its is very rare for me to take the iPhone off the charger with 100% charge (its always 96% to 99%).

I heard somewhere though that Apple considers anything above 95% "fully charged"

My MacBook Air also sometimes loses 1% to 2% while it is still plugged in (it will say fully charged/not charging and the % will be 98% or 99%, occasionally even 97%). So I think overall this is "normal" and not really a big problem.

derrick2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2011
I understand them considering anything above 95% "fully charged" but the weird thing was for the battery to go DOWN even though still indicating that its charging!

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
You might want to try restoring and then setting it up as a new phone. I've had a problem like that before where my phone would lose charge even when it was plugged in and it turned out to be some kind of software issue. A restore fixed it right up.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I understand them considering anything above 95% "fully charged" but the weird thing was for the battery to go DOWN even though still indicating that its charging!
No this is quite common if you are using the iPhone while it is charging. So for example: push mail, iCloud backup (background tasks) or just making phone calls can use more power then the charging circuit adds to the iPhone.

Dave

k.i.t.t.o.

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I've had similar issues on my 4S in the last couple of days.

-Like a lot of people, my battery didn't seem to last as long as advertised. So I calibrated the battery. Depleted the phone until it shut off on its own, then charged it to 100%. Immediately after that, I started using the phone again and, interestingly, it took 40 minutes for the battery to go down from 100% to 99%. Which was awesome.

-That night, I plugged the phone in overnight only to find in the morning that it had stopped charging at 91%. Yet the meter indicated that it was fully charged. So I unplugged the phone from the charger, plugged it back in, and right away the phone resumed charging. I had to disconnect it at 97% because I had to head out, so the phone was never fully charged on that day. This issue repeated itself the next morning, except now the percentage was a little higher this time (95% or 97%, can't remember).

-The next day, the phone was charged to 100%. No issues. I used it to about 30-ish% with 9 hours and 30 minutes stand-by and almost 7 hours of usage before I decided to recharge it.

-About half an hour ago, the phone stopped at a 98% "full charge", except this time unplugging/plugging the charger didn't increase the charge. So I restarted the phone, and what do you know, it's at 100%. Still at 100% on stand-by as I type this.

Dunno what to make of it. Could be that the battery meter isn't properly set, but then how was it still able to increase its charge in the first two days? Either way, I'm still getting some decent juice from it (fingers crossed lol) so it's not too bad.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
Same issue here on my iPhone 4S. Quite frustrating—this morning I woke up only to find it at 91%.

I think we are asking too much of Apple, people. Making a bug-free phone is beyond them, I am afraid.

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Same issue here on my iPhone 4S. Quite frustrating—this morning I woke up only to find it at 91%.

I think we are asking too much of Apple, people. Making a bug-free phone is beyond them, I am afraid.

It's really beyond anyone because most bugs are discovered after a device/software is released to the public. That's why theres these nifty little things called updates and patches. If they released a perfect phone then there would be no need for updates. Same goes for software.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
Fair enough, but there is a whole gamut of quality standards in this world. Some are more willing to push half-baked stuff out to the market than others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.