Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
After upgrading to the iPhone 4S I still have my iPhone 4. I do not want to sell my iPhone 4 but would like to use it as an iPod touch, as I have done with my past iPhones. I was thinking if it is possible to get an AT&T SIM with data only and put it in the iPhone, this would make it like an iPod touch with 3G. I went to AT&T to ask them and the guy said theoretically it should work but they won't sell me a SIM for this. I asked if I could just get an iPad 3G SIM with data and stick it in the iPhone. Another employee came over and said no. She said that even if I tried with another iPad outside the store that the service would be canceled when I put it in the phone because flags would be raised in AT&T's network for "SIM swapping." The guy said though that it is worth a try and said the girl was just saying because that they can't do it in store.

So I am asking if anyone has tried this. If anyone has been able to put a data SIM, for example from an iPad, in an iPhone? Have anyone been able to successfully do this? Or even if anyone has asked other AT&T employees about this?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I took the activated SIM out of my iPad 3G and stuck it in my 3Gs. Its been in there for a while now. Used to be in my iPhone 2G for a year. AT&T hasn't complained yet.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
That is awesome, now I just need to get an activated SIM from somewhere. AT&T won't sell me one.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have to jailbreak the iPhone in order to change the APN to the iPad's or else it won't work.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You download a tweak that enables APN editing and change the APN in the Network settings to match those of the iPad.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
AT&T doesn't allow APN editing. You'd have to jailbreak it to enable it. OR have the iPhone on iOS 3.0.1 or lower and put in a custom carrier bundle that allows APN editing.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You have to jailbreak the iPhone in order to change the APN to the iPad's or else it won't work.

Are you 100% sure it won't work without jailbreaking?

You can change the APN by using this web site from your iPhone without a jailbreak.

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

You have a couple of choices for an activated Micro-SIM

1. GoPhone and only use the data plan
2. iPad 3G Data plan

Note: AT&T will know what you are doing. :eek:

Dave

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I got it to work. This is great. I am not jailbreak either. I have a few questions, one is that when I open the phone application it says I have a phone number. Is this normal for iPad 2s and it just transferred to the phone?

Thanks guys!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Yes, the iPad 3G Micro-SIM has a phone number attached but you can't make or receive calls using that number. It is used as part of the account setup / management.

Dave

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Another quick question, is there a way I can check how much data I have left? Do I just do it on the website?

this sounds great. i would go for the go phone though, just for the occasional call

Yes but is data just as cheap? I have an iPhone 4S now with my phone number. I have my sister on GoPhone with iPhone and she just gets minutes and text. She doesn't need data.

chillhase

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
hum, i just checked, its more expensive... damn. Is it possible to get all calls over Skype or google voice? I'm only in the states for a few month, so i wouldn't bother do it for that time if the quality is fine enough

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Yes you can use Skype and make and receive Google Voice calls (with Talkatone). Note though there is no unlimited plan.

chillhase

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
yeah, i have noticed that there is no unlimited plan but 2gb sounds as if thats more than enough.

so, how did you get your simcard in the end?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
so, how did you get your simcard in the end?

I went and bought an iPad 3G and activated the SIM with it. Apple let's you return it's products without SIMs so I am just going to return the iPad later this week.

You can use the AT&T myWireless Mobile App right from your iPad.:D

From the iPad: Settings->General->Usage

From the web: http://www.att.com/ipadlanding
Just login using the same credentials you used when you subscribed to your prepaid plan.

Dave

I am using my iPhone though. I can check online though, no problems.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I went and bought an iPad 3G and activated the SIM with it. Apple let's you return it's products without SIMs so I am just going to return the iPad later this week.....
That's why I added the Big Grin :D

You are not the first or last person to do this. At least you purchased the iPad. There have been some that just got a free Micro-SIM from AT&T and then used an iPad at Best Buy or Apple to activate it...:eek:

Dave

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I can't seem to "register" my account online to look at how much data I have used. I know I haven't used any yet but I'd just like to see how to do it. When I try to check on the app it says I must register on a computer first. When I try to register on a computer it just gives me errors.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I got it to work. This is great. I am not jailbreak either. I have a few questions, one is that when I open the phone application it says I have a phone number. Is this normal for iPad 2s and it just transferred to the phone?

Thanks guys!

Can I trouble you to do a step by step on what you did to get this to work. I went to that site "unlock it", and I'm not certain how all this works. I do best when I have a step by step instructions. Thanks in advance.

dannn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
So let me get this straight...
i can buy an unlocked iphone4s, use it with a $25/mo 2gb ipad data plan and just use it for data and voip calls??

This sounds awesome for someone like me who would probably only make maybe 5 short calls a week...am i getting this right here? why don't more people do this?

Also for anyone who's done this, can u still facetime?

Last edited:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Can anyone confirm if that unlock APN is absolutely necessary? Using that website just doesn't seem secure since it installs something from the web.

Can I trouble you to do a step by step on what you did to get this to work. I went to that site "unlock it", and I'm not certain how all this works. I do best when I have a step by step instructions. Thanks in advance.

I'll get it done when I get home.

So let me get this straight...
i can buy an unlocked iphone4s, use it with a $25/mo 2gb ipad data plan and just use it for data and voip calls??

This sounds awesome for someone like me who would probably only make maybe 5 short calls a week...am i getting this right here? why don't more people do this?

Also for anyone who's done this, can u still facetime?

That is what I am doing right now. I haven't tested FaceTime but I don't see why it won't work since you can call using your Apple ID instead of a phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.