Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I want to use my old iPhone as an iPod touch for the kids.

It has the sim in it that no longer is active.

So right now it does act as an iPod touch as it doesn't get phone service.

But, I want to erase everything on it and set it up as a new iPod touch.

If I erase all contents and settings what will happen? Will give me the screen that says to connect to iTunes? Or will it just be a "blank" iPod touch. And if it does give me the connect to iTunes screen how do I proceed. Do I just connect to iTunes and tell it to setup as new phone? If I do that will it still work as an iPod touch since it has the old inactivated sim in it or will it not work that way?

The old iphone has ios5 on it. Do I even need to connect to iTunes after I erase all content and settings? Can I set it up as a new phone right on the device. Or will having the old inactivated sim in it change things?

Thanks.

Last edited:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Restore in iTunes, it'll need a SIM in it to first get setup even if the SIM is inactive. You can take the SIM out after. Everything will work fine, just like an iPod touch.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Can i set it up as a new device or will it look for a new sim for that.

I don't want to restore from a backup.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I set up my 3gs as a Touch. I didn't do a restore on it, or set up as new device. I just renamed it (through iTunes) to iPod instead of iPhone. I left the inactive sim in, it just connects to my home wifi network.

I left a few contacts on it, plus my recipe apps and then loaded it up with music and parked it in the small speaker dock I have in my kitchen. Seems to be working fine for me.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I think I just did the coolest thing with my old iPhone 4. I got a SIM from an iPad 3G and put it in the iPhone. I know it costs money but now it is like an iPod touch with 3G.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
I set up my 3gs as a Touch. I didn't do a restore on it, or set up as new device. I just renamed it (through iTunes) to iPod instead of iPhone. I left the inactive sim in, it just connects to my home wifi network.

I left a few contacts on it, plus my recipe apps and then loaded it up with music and parked it in the small speaker dock I have in my kitchen. Seems to be working fine for me.

Hey! You are doing exactly what I want to do but I am not sure exactly how to do it. Where in iTunes do you rename the old phone to "ipod"? After you do that, it will sync separately from the new iPhone, right? I don't want the old phone and the new to be affected by each other, i.e. I don't want to erase or mess up anything vital on the new phone.

Also, does the "ipod" still have access to all music and apps that the iPhone does?

Sorry if some of my questions seem noobish. I rarely have time to play around with iTunes and it's taking me a while to get the hang of this.

Thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.