Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IronicTrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
So I have ethernet which I am trying to translate into wifi for my xbox. I followed all of the steps, but for some reason when I try to connect to my Mac with the WEP key the key is always invalid. I also tried without a WEP key and it couldn't obtain the IP address. Anyone have any ideas?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
So, I was curious and gave it a shot and also could not get it working. I'm not all that interested in getting it to work, so I'm not going to continue trying.

I would recommend that you purchase a wireless router - right tool for the job ya know....

IronicTrout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
So, I was curious and gave it a shot and also could not get it working. I'm not all that interested in getting it to work, so I'm not going to continue trying.

I would recommend that you purchase a wireless router - right tool for the job ya know....

Yeah I know but I am just trying to do this while I am in college (there is no wireless in our room for some reason) and was trying to avoid buying anything. But I guess I don't have a choice.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The XBox probably wants the HEX equivalent key. Use this tool to get the HEX Equivalent for your WEP Key: http://www.wepkey.com/

You'll have to check the settings to see whether you used a 40-bit or 128-bit WEP Encryption, then use the code associated with that (128-bit is more secure, and the password will be 26 characters long when converted).

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.