Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Its ridiculous how long the update procedure takes not mentioning the kernel panics you can have and instability issues I would not do osx if I were you ...how bout linux instead?

What? I haven't have that many issues with my Hackintosh once I got it going. Of couse I figured out how to set it up properly, but it's become pretty simple now for the slightly more "advanced" user. It's worked so well for me that it's my main machine. The updates take no longer than a regular Mac.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Its ridiculous how long the update procedure takes not mentioning the kernel panics you can have and instability issues I would not do osx if I were you ...how bout linux instead?
You're installing an OS on hardware that it's not supposed to run on. Of course it's going to have some quirks and bugs.
And if you've done it right, you will not have a problem with updates. If you do, then you can always downgrade and wait until a working version comes out.

Just a note: Never use community-made distros of OS X as these leave out certain kexts and have excessively troublesome upgrade procedures. tonymacx86's method is by far the best.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
You're installing an OS on hardware that it's not supposed to run on. Of course it's going to have some quirks and bugs.
And if you've done it right, you will not have a problem with updates. If you do, then you can always downgrade and wait until a working version comes out.

Just a note: Never use community-made distros of OS X as these leave out certain kexts and have excessively troublesome upgrade procedures. tonymacx86's method is by far the best.
No I was just telling OP that an osx mackintosh is very unstable yes I know bugs are to be expected as with my hackintosh,anyway I used a dongle and I will link a review to it but this is a 2008 review-http://gizmodo.com/5049756/review-efix-dongle-perfectly-transforms-pc-to-mac

----------

What? I haven't have that many issues with my Hackintosh once I got it going. Of couse I figured out how to set it up properly, but it's become pretty simple now for the slightly more "advanced" user. It's worked so well for me that it's my main machine. The updates take no longer than a regular Mac.

Don't you have to use chameleon every time you update?this takes up enough time like 5-10 mins extra because my last one required me to do this, you are talking about lion hackintosh then yes it easier.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Don't you have to use chameleon every time you update?this takes up enough time like 5-10 mins extra because my last one required me to do this, you are talking about lion hackintosh then yes it easier.

No? Most of the time I update like everyone else. Just run software update. Chameleon is just the bootloader and is untouched by software updates.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Ok, its been a long time since this thread was updated, but here is something that I was never expected.

Some weeks ago, I sent my mother board to Asus for warranty service since one of the RAM slots went bad. When I got the motherboard back I got a broken/bent pin in the socket. I was shocked and further annoyed when Asus has taken over a week to respond to their mistake. Pic below

You can clearly see the pin problem. Top Left

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    765 KB · Views: 124

Paulio

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Ok, its been a long time since this thread was updated, but here is something that I was never expected.

Some weeks ago, I sent my mother board to Asus for warranty service since one of the RAM slots went bad. When I got the motherboard back I got a broken/bent pin in the socket. I was shocked and further annoyed when Asus has taken over a week to respond to their mistake. Pic below

You can clearly see the pin problem. Top Left

Wait, so ASUS bent a CPU pin? You should be able to bend it back without much hassle, this may be helpful.

But if it was ASUS fault, it might be worth holding them accountable and not running any risks.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Thats what I did. I already have a new Case number and all. I also qualified for advanced replacement which they sent me a new/refurb board as soon as they get confirmation I shipped the damaged one.

It took me 2 weeks to get Asus to fix this. And no, I was never planning on touching the pin. It was never my Bent pin to start with.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Project under way, pictures are at Post #135 and on.
Yes, I seriously plan to get the following. Also, I gave it a name that means something for me, Macross. It is the name of my favorite sci-fi ship when I was small. So, I intend this to live up to its name.

Robotech or Macross version?

(Geek, er, Otaku test)

(PS, need to name mine....)

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Macross

Nothing like the Misa, Ikaru and Minmay love triangle. Although the Lisa, Rick and Minmay comes close.

I actually only know of the "Lisa, Rick and Minmay" love triangle.

To be honest in literature and in movies writing a good love triangle is pretty difficult in order for many readers to see it correctly.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
One of the things that attracted me to the series,
Best Sci-Fi on TV since Star Trek (80's a bit empty)

Then we got "V" in the 80's which I loved ... and then also the 2 season reboot as well (which evidently lasted one season more than the original which surprised me). Finally the BSG reboot which was just simply incredible along with the follow-up movies and Caprica mini series which unfortunately was short lived.

Macross/Robotech I'll always love.

Netflix has the entire 3 original (English dub) of Robotech: Robotech, Robotech Masters, Invid. Sweet!

Reactions: PracticalMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.