Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greekappi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
All my friends and I have our iMessage Caller IDs set to our email addresses on our phones and other devices. My question is, if I've started an iMessage to a friend via our email addresses and in the middle of the conversation I decide to turn off iMessage for a little while, when I decide to turn iMessage back on, will it deliver the messages that my friend has sent me during my iMessage hiatus?

I guess I already know that answer to my own question, and that is, "no". My brother and I have tried it and the only indication that I never will receive his message is that on his end in iMessage it will never say "Delivered" underneath the message. It will be blue, indicating a connection with an iMessage participant, but it will never say delivered and I will never receive it when I turn on iMessage again.

It seems that it is lost in space forever.....on Apple's servers?

This problem only occurs when using iMessage to contact a recipient using their email address and not their phone number, since the message will be resent as an SMS if the recipient has iMessage off.

Thoughts?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
I've heard others that have had several delivered at once that they recieved between wifi connections.

greekappi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, I know that between wifi connections it will work, but what I am asking is between turning iMessage off and on. You know what I mean?

Scartissue

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2004
Maybe the rationale behind it not sending if turned off is to prevent someone turning it on after 6 months to receive dozens of messages at once. Or that they want turning it off to be 'opting out', so that one has that option.

You could try turning off data? Or read receipts so that you don't feel pressured to respond?

greekappi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, the main issue is actually with a Group Message my friends and I have going. One of our friends doesn't want to get constant vibrating alerts informing him of all of our inane conversations throughout the day, but he wants to be able to receive text messages from co-workers throughout the day.

The problem is that if he turns iMessage off for a couple of hours, so as to avoid the bombardment of messages from me and my friends, when he turns it back on he wants to read what we've all been saying. But he doesn't want to lose iMessage functionality with his co-workers.

Currently we are having an epic battle between using iMessage or Beluga. If iMessage had ways to name Group Message chats and ways to only turn off specific Group Messages (for a short time and then have the messages all push once you turn that Group Message back on like Beluga does) then we would be using iMessage all the way.

As it currently stands, Beluga is just better for Group Messaging.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I am not sure if this is still the case, but at one point if one member turns off iMessages in a group chat it converts the whole chat in to Group MMS (I would presume that feature would have to be turned on as well).

I am sending a message to my buddies to verify.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
The problem is that if he turns iMessage off for a couple of hours, so as to avoid the bombardment of messages from me and my friends, when he turns it back on he wants to read what we've all been saying. But he doesn't want to lose iMessage functionality with his co-workers.

If he turns off iMessage he can't iMessage his co-workers. What you're looking for is different notifications for text coming from different people.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but at one point if one member turns off iMessages in a group chat it converts the whole chat in to Group MMS (I would presume that feature would have to be turned on as well).

This is correct, and MMS groups are limited to 10 recipients and available in US only.

greekappi

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
If he turns off iMessage he can't iMessage his co-workers. What you're looking for is different notifications for text coming from different people.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm looking for. The problem isn't that he can't receive texts from his co-workers, the problem is that he can't get all of our Group Message iMessages when he turns iMessage back on after the work day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.