Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecatz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Hey all, quick question.

I'm about to switch over to IOS 5 on my iphone. I have a me.com apple ID that I will use as my primary apple ID on the phone.

My wife's APPLE ID is our Itunes purchase account, so that's what I'll set up for itunes purchases.

My question is, if we BOTH use the same iphoto account, on our MAC, but have seperate apple ID's, how do we use photostream?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all, quick question.

I'm about to switch over to IOS 5 on my iphone. I have a me.com apple ID that I will use as my primary apple ID on the phone.

My wife's APPLE ID is our Itunes purchase account, so that's what I'll set up for itunes purchases.

My question is, if we BOTH use the same iphoto account, on our MAC, but have seperate apple ID's, how do we use photostream?

You have 2 choices for Photostream for 2 people. You can either share an iCloud account (not recommended!) and not be able to use iMessage since you will both get each others messages. OR you can both have separate iCloud accounts, which means you will have separate photo streams. Now the tricky part. If you are using one PC to manage your photo stream you have 3 ways you can do it.

1) Sign in and out of iCloud whenever you want to change users (not recommended, since it could get VERY messy)

2) set up a second user account on the pc and set up your wires iCloud account on there....this is what I did. Now you can grab her pics and yours, but nothing else gets messed up.

3) set up another iCloud account strictly for photo stream. Set up your primary iCloud account as a secondary and have it sync everything else....set up the photo stream account as the primary and turn on only photo stream. Now you will have your cal and mail and all the other stuff on your main account, and just photo stream on the photo stream account. Now all of your pics will go to your iPhoto.

joecatz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
3) set up another iCloud account strictly for photo stream. Set up your primary iCloud account as a secondary and have it sync everything else....set up the photo stream account as the primary and turn on only photo stream. Now you will have your cal and mail and all the other stuff on your main account, and just photo stream on the photo stream account. Now all of your pics will go to your iPhoto.

If I have a me.com account, and she has a me.com account, and we BOTH used her yahoo ID for Itunes purchases AND photo stream, would that work?

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
You have 2 choices for Photostream for 2 people. You can either share an iCloud account (not recommended!) and not be able to use iMessage since you will both get each others messages. OR you can both have separate iCloud accounts, which means you will have separate photo streams. Now the tricky part. If you are using one PC to manage your photo stream you have 3 ways you can do it.

1) Sign in and out of iCloud whenever you want to change users (not recommended, since it could get VERY messy)

2) set up a second user account on the pc and set up your wires iCloud account on there....this is what I did. Now you can grab her pics and yours, but nothing else gets messed up.

I don't think your option 3 would work because on the devices only the 'primary' iCloud account can sync photostream?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think your option 3 would work because on the devices only the 'primary' iCloud account can sync photostream?

thats what I said, you set the photo stream account as the primary account, then you add your real account as a secondary account, disable everything in the photo stream account. You could potentially get cross chatter in iMessage.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
What you have set in iCloud and what the iTunes store is logged in to can be two different things.

My wife and I have our own iCloud/Apple ID accounts but we use a 3rd Apple ID as our iTunes store log in.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What you have set in iCloud and what the iTunes store is logged in to can be two different things.

My wife and I have our own iCloud/Apple ID accounts but we use a 3rd Apple ID as our iTunes store log in.

iTunes and iCloud account is completely separate....we share iTunes account, but have separate iCloud accounts. You can set up your iTunes account in the store panel in the settings.

joecatz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
okay, maybe this will make more sense

Is there a way to share photostream between two different ID's to ONE IPHOTO library?

simoncg

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011

I like the sound of option 3! Do you know if it would work on a mac - as I would need to have 2 icloud ids associated with one login?

Thanks

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
this has to be thought of at Apple.

anyone...on Macs that is?
I'd love the use of this with iPhoto and iOS 5 on two iDevices.

Omniver

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Boston, MA
okay, maybe this will make more sense

Is there a way to share photostream between two different ID's to ONE IPHOTO library?

YES!

I've been doing it for months. The key is to do it with iPhoto, not iCloud. Set up you iPhoto library to be shared across your two user accounts on your Mac. (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198). Then, in your Mac account, set up your photostream, on the other Mac account, set up their photostream.

Now whenever each one of you logs in, it will import that user's photostream into the shared library. Voila. One library, multiple photostreams.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
rats, i don't have separate accounts for two users.
and slowly switching to Aperture. so wondering if iPhoto is now better. geez.

PatrickWA

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012

#3 is the best solution I've been able to come up with so far, but it's not quite optimal and I keep looking for something better. I guess this is it, though.

For instance, say I have things set up like this:

• iPhoto & iTunes on Mac Mini set up as our central media/data/htpc server with only one user account.
  • Mom has an iPhone and an iTunes account set up to Mom@e-mail.com
  • Dad has an iPhone and an iTunes account set up to Dad@e-mail.com
  • There's a family Macbook Pro with individual accounts
  • There's a family iPad
  • There are multiple individual iPods
  • There is a family AppleTV
  • All are synced to the same iTunes and iPhoto library on the Mini
  • Daughter will eventually have iOS device and iTunes account at Daughter@e-mail.com

Okay, so now I set things up as described in #3 above - create another iCloud account linked to Family@e-mail.com and make that the primary iCloud account on Mom & Dad's iPhones for just Photostream, then they each have their individual IDs for everything else.

Now the problems/unknowns I see right off the top of my head:
  1. If someone wants to share a photo stream with Dad, can that be sent to Dad@e-mail.com, or does it have to be to Family@e-mail.com? That's a dealbreaker right there. For starters, none of our friends know Family@e-mail.com. Second, Dad doesn't want a bunch of BS Mom pictures and he also doesn't necessarily want pics from his friends showing up on Mom's device. Mom feels the same the other way.
  2. #1 goes double once Daughter gets into it. She is definitely not supposed to be privvy to Mom & Dad's photos and Mom & Dad certainly don't want to be swamped with pictures from all her little girl friends, but there's no way this house will not burn down if she doesn't get to use all the sweet iCloud features too.
  3. The iPad also needs to have some sort of photos shared to it, but we'd really like to limit that to things like the best photos from the last family trip or cute pics of the kids (stuff you show when visiting Grandma). Maybe this means the iPad gets its own iCloud ID - Family_iPad@e-mail.com? But then it's effectively out of the photostream, since the single iPhoto library (on one Mini user ID) can only push out a photostream to a single iCloud ID. I guess we just keep syncing albums to it?
  4. I thought I read somewhere that only the primary iCloud account can access the 5GB of online data. If so, now the whole family is effectively sharing one 5GB account. That's also a dealbreaker.

I'm pretty tired of Apple wedging people into their single person workflow. It's as if they think people don't use their devices in a family environment. These things all work great if each person has their own Mac, iPhone, and iPad, but that's only a fraction of real world use. It's annoying with iTunes, but at least that's manageable through syncing devices to certain playlists. This is just an outright mess.

This could be so awesome and so much simpler if they'd acknowledge that multiple people are going to live together and share their products. Why can't a single instance of iPhoto collect and share to multiple iCloud IDs and/or have multiple photostreams? Is it just that they're worried about people abusing multiple accounts to game the system and get more than 5GB of data for themselves? There has to be a better way to fight that without hobbling the functionality.

brambmanu

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010
Photo Stream- 1 Apple ID, 2 Users

Hi,

My wife and I have been using the same Apple ID for a long time.

With iMessages and FaceTime, even if both devices have the same Apple ID, you can choose a different "username" or receipient. So I can do FaceTime with her, using her phone number or Yahoo mail as ID.

With Photo Stream, there is no such an option. The photos shared from her device are shared like if it is me (the account is under my name). And she cannot really share them with me so I can "like" and comment, they just appear in the Photo Stream menu without notification or anything.

Any workaround or thoughts?

Thanks!

seanpercival01

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
You have a pair of selections for Photostream for two individuals. able to} either share Associate in Nursing iCloud account (not recommended!) and not be able to use iMessage since you'll each get every others messages. otherwise you will each have separate iCloud accounts, which suggests you'll have separate ikon streams. currently the difficult half. If you're victimization one computer to manage your ikon stream you've got three ways that you'll be able to have it off.

1) register and out of iCloud whenever you wish to alter users (not suggested, since it might get terribly messy)

2) came upon a used account on the computer and came upon your wires iCloud account on there....this is what I did. currently you'll be able to grab her pics and yours, however nothing else gets tousled.

3) came upon another iCloud account strictly for ikon stream. came upon your primary iCloud account as a secondary and have it set everything else....set up the ikon stream account because the primary and switch on solely ikon stream. currently you'll have your cal and mail and every one the opposite stuff on your main account, and simply ikon stream on the ikon stream account. currently all of your pics can attend your iPhoto.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
YES!

I've been doing it for months. The key is to do it with iPhoto, not iCloud. Set up you iPhoto library to be shared across your two user accounts on your Mac. (see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198). Then, in your Mac account, set up your photostream, on the other Mac account, set up their photostream.

Now whenever each one of you logs in, it will import that user's photostream into the shared library. Voila. One library, multiple photostreams.

Hello, for a while I thought this worked just fine (hell, I was darn sure it was!), but all of the sudden when I go to iPhoto I just see a bunch of pictures that show a "!" icon instead of the real picture. After some observation I've figured out that I can't see my wife's photostream imported pictures, and the other way around in her case. Please help.

marc.garcia

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Hello, for a while I thought this worked just fine (hell, I was darn sure it was!), but all of the sudden when I go to iPhoto I just see a bunch of pictures that show a "!" icon instead of the real picture. After some observation I've figured out that I can't see my wife's photostream imported pictures, and the other way around in her case. Please help.
OMG, I've seen something here (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198) that has stricken me... If I want to put my iPhoto Library on /users/shared, do I really have to create a disk image??? this can't be true!!!
Man, is this what apple calls "it just works"? Am I supposed to have my wife mount a disk image before she uses iPhoto?? come on!!!
... and, do I have to foresee how big my library may get?? Apple, you've got to be kidding me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.