Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Here is my best step by step.

1. Get an activated SIM, for example from an iPad.
2. On the iPhone go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz
3. On the web app: Continue, Custom APN, Select your country and carrier (I chose AT&T Broadband) and tap "Create Profile." This will install some kind of APN profile on your iPhone, you may have to type in your passcode to finish. It'll also save a bookmark on the home screen for easy access in case you need to do it again.
4. Put the activated SIM in the phone, make sure cellular data is on and try to load something. For me it worked after I turned on cellular data, which I didn't know was turned off.

I have not yet tested out FaceTime since I want to do it with a device not associated with my Apple ID. iMessage does work fine. I believe you can iMessage the phone number that AT&T assigns you but I need to test it out also but it lists it in the iMessage settings.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
:) :d :D

Attachments

• thisthreaddeliversupscht.jpg
    thisthreaddeliversupscht.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 267

marktwothousand

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
- Unlockit does not cause any harm to the phone or put anything "bad" on it, even though you are downloading it from a website and installing it. All it does is changes the settings for the internet route. If you don't want it any more, all you have to do is go to the profile in the settings, and delete it, and the phone will revert to original settings. TRUST ME, I have tried it and it works.

- Using an activated Micro SIM on a GoPhone plan is all you should need to do, I have also tried this with my unlocked iPhone 4 from Canada. However, you should know - when using it in New York City, I encountered many signal and data rate issues with GoPhone data on the iPhone. It was almost always slow, and sometimes completely non-responsive. I also used it in Chicago, where service was slightly better, but still not what I am used to in Canada.

I do not know whether this is just poor AT&T signal or because you are using it on GoPhone, but I believe, unfortunately, it is GoPhone :(

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
So let me get this straight...i can buy an unlocked iphone4s, [...]

I don't have any direct experience with this particular scenario, but I would venture to guess that if this works, this would also work on a phone that is carrier-locked to AT&T. An AT&T SIM is an AT&T SIM, so the locked-to-AT&T phone should accept it.

-- Nathan

chillhase

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
do you still have to cut the sim card? i have heard that the size of the 4s is different from the iPad?

dannn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Any updates? I wish there was more information about doing this kind of thing, especially with ios5.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
+1.

No need to unlock an AT&T iPhone as it will accept an AT&T Micro-SIM from a GoPhone or the iPad.

Dave

I have an iPhone 4 from AT&T, I thought you said I would have to change the APN with that unlockit website? If I already have an AT&T phone do I not need to?

I said in the first post that, when talking to AT&T people this they said it wouldn't work because AT&T would notice and just cut the service for "SIM swapping." Is this not true. If I don't need to change the APN then I would rather not. Thanks.

Nope both the iPad and the iPhone 4 or 4S use the new Micro-SIM that was introduced with the iPad 1 last year.

Dave

The SIMs are shaped the same but they are actually different. AT&T explained this to me, I can't remember what they said but they said they are different style SIM for iPad than regular iPhone.

Any updates? I wish there was more information about doing this kind of thing, especially with ios5.

I am doing this with iOS 5 right now.

chillhase

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
The SIMs are shaped the same but they are actually different. AT&T explained this to me, I can't remember what they said but they said they are different style SIM for iPad than regular iPhone.

so this means it is working or it is not working. I'm getting all confused

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I have an iPhone 4 from AT&T, I thought you said I would have to change the APN with that unlockit website? If I already have an AT&T phone do I not need to?

I said in the first post that, when talking to AT&T people this they said it wouldn't work because AT&T would notice and just cut the service for "SIM swapping." Is this not true. If I don't need to change the APN then I would rather not. Thanks.

I am doing this with iOS 5 right now.
Yes you still need to chang the APN since you are using the iPad data plan. The other person was talking about a carrier locked phone situation. So any current AT&T phone will accept any current AT&T type of SIM: post paid or GoPhone ( Mini-SIMs would have to be trimmed to fit an iPad 1/2 3G or iPhone 4/4S )

The SIM Swapping issue was raised when people were swapping the Unlimited iPad Data Plan Micro-SIM into iPhones or swapping iPhone Unlimited data plans into the iPad. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, AT&T will see exactly what you are doing and if you were abusing the system by swapping an Unlimited Data Plan SIM you should expect to receive an email or SMS Txt message depending on your AT&T profile settings on your account. ;)

The Micro-SIMs are exactly the same. There is no magic iPad or any other magic type of SIM. For example, they have been claiming that there is a new magic iPhone 4S Micro-SIM for the HPSA+ speeds but again it it not true. I used a new unactivated "iPad" Micro-SIM to activate my iPhone 4 last year with a phone number and data and I just switched it to my new iPhone 4S. last week.

Dave

dannn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
A video of the results of this would be great!
maybe something showing it off with ios5..including facetime.

and how well gv extensions make everything more seamless:cool::apple:

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I guess that AT&T girl got confused and didn't understand exactly what I was saying.

I will try to do a video but don't know if I'll ever get around to it.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I guess that AT&T girl got confused and didn't understand exactly what I was saying.

I will try to do a video but don't know if I'll ever get around to it.
Short answer is she is an AT&T Retail Sales Consultant (RSC) and can't provide you with options that are not supported by AT&T. So she will repeat what her training and the AT&T documentation states.

The Micro-SIM is only the latest example. When the original iPhone came out there was a very long discussion about a new magic Mini-SIM that was specific to the original iPhone. Same thing when the iPhone 3G came out, a claim that you needed to use the included Mini-SIM. When the iPad 3G appeared with the Mico-SIM, same story. You had to use a special iPad Micro-SIM. :eek: Again, this was and is not the true today.

Even this year with the iPhone 4S the AT&T documentation states: To ensure proper iPhone operation, you must use the SIM card pre-installed in your iPhone. :eek:

Dave

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
On the iPad 3G is there no tethering option? On this iPhone there is no tethering settings and no personal hotspot settings.

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
I use a Telstra prepaid iPad data sim in my iPhone 4S, no issues at all. It was activated in my iPad 2 already, so no idea if you need to activate it in an iPad first. No changing or adding of APN required, and no hacks.

It might depend on your provider.

The only thing not working is FaceTime, which refuses to activate using the sim (because a traditional phone service is required to activate).

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I use a Telstra prepaid iPad data sim in my iPhone 4S, no issues at all. It was activated in my iPad 2 already, so no idea if you need to activate it in an iPad first. No changing or adding of APN required, and no hacks.

It might depend on your provider.

The only thing not working is FaceTime, which refuses to activate using the sim (because a traditional phone service is required to activate).
Yes the APN setting is for specific providers in specific countries. So while it does not matter with Telstra (in Australia) :D it sure does for other carriers in other countries like the USA with AT&T.

Dave

jivemaster

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
While the USA has some of the best rates in the world, the restrictive administrative processes they use are rather sucky. :(

Even tethering in Australia is free on most carriers, although our data plans suck, so it's not all that crash hot.

Last edited:

chillhase

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
hum, so ill get an unlocked iPhone from the apple store (roughly 750$) and a 2gb plan for a newly purchased iPad (which i do not have but i activate it in a best buy or get it from apple and send it back). so i have 2gb data for a month for 25$? just wanted to crosscheck.
if i am right a Skype call of about a minute without video is about 1 or 2 mb of data, why doesn't everybody do this? it sounds to be ****ing cheap.

btw: thanks a lot for all your help. you are amazing :)

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Thank You.

Here is my best step by step.

1. Get an activated SIM, for example from an iPad.
2. On the iPhone go to http://www.unlockit.co.nz
3. On the web app: Continue, Custom APN, Select your country and carrier (I chose AT&T Broadband) and tap "Create Profile." This will install some kind of APN profile on your iPhone, you may have to type in your passcode to finish. It'll also save a bookmark on the home screen for easy access in case you need to do it again.
4. Put the activated SIM in the phone, make sure cellular data is on and try to load something. For me it worked after I turned on cellular data, which I didn't know was turned off.

I have not yet tested out FaceTime since I want to do it with a device not associated with my Apple ID. iMessage does work fine. I believe you can iMessage the phone number that AT&T assigns you but I need to test it out also but it lists it in the iMessage settings.

Thanks so much for doing this.

In step 2: The original sim is still in the 4S when you go to "unlockit", correct?
In Step 4: This is where I then insert the activated some from an iPad or a GoPhone.

So, referring to your original post, you wanted to be able to use your old 4 like an iTouch, but with "Data" access. If I purchase a Go Phone with an activated sim and then decide to purchase an unlocked 4S or locked for that matter, I can then use the 4S to make calls and Data? Because with an iPad activated Sim, I would be restricted to only data. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.

A GoPhone does offer a micro sim card for use, so that there would be no need to cut a regular sim down to micro size.

----------

hum, so ill get an unlocked iPhone from the apple store (roughly 750$) and a 2gb plan for a newly purchased iPad (which i do not have but i activate it in a best buy or get it from apple and send it back). so i have 2gb data for a month for 25$? just wanted to crosscheck.
if i am right a Skype call of about a minute without video is about 1 or 2 mb of data, why doesn't everybody do this? it sounds to be ****ing cheap.

btw: thanks a lot for all your help. you are amazing :)

I'm confused. If you purchase an iPad with a 2GB plan, and then return the iPad, don't you have to return that sim that came originally in the iPad, or is this sim later given to you once you pay for activation?

(edit) I think I got it. You need to purchase an iPad in order to get a sim activated. Once you return the iPad, you keep the sim. The selected carrier thinks you still have the iPad. Right? You then maintain and pay the monthly activation for the returned iPad to maintain data/calls on the 4S/4. All I can say is WOW!

Last edited:

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The only problem see with this is that you will not be able to use the phone to text a lot (google voice won't work because you need an actual phone number - the iPad number won't work because it's only for admin use). You will also need to have Skype ($2.99 per month) for VOIP. So you're looking at roughly $30 for 2gb of internet and calling ($2.99 gets you unlimited calling to US and Canada numbers on Skype).

Limitations
-People HAVE to have Skype to call you (unless you want a Skype number which increases your costs)
-you can't text anyone without iMessage
-you can't call in rural areas or very populated metro areas where ATT signal is known to suck - basically, if you rely on a phone 24/7 you shouldn't get this
-when your 2Gb is up you need to buy more

So while its doable and cheap it's got limitation. This should be o for some people but is a bit too extreme for me. I like to know that I can use my phone for emergency use as well as being able to text, talk normally.

I would suggest an alternative which is to get a family plan with 5 lines. Gather some friends and family and get on a family plan. On sprint you can get a family plan for ($220) - or $180 if you know where to look - unlimited everything on 4 lines. That's roughly $45 a line and you will be carefree.

Oh and don't forget the subsidized phone as well. You have to calculate the cost of a brand new 4s ($700) after tax or $350 for a used 4.

All in all, not really worth it unless you're hurting for money. In that case I would just go on TMOBILE and get their walmart $29.99 plan for unlimited data, text, and 100 minutes. Then you can use android phones for 4G or an iPhone and be on Edge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.