Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I thought I remember seeing in Apple's demos that videos shot with the iPhone would automatically upload to the Photostream but t hasn't happened with anything I've shot, only photos has uploaded.

Is there something I need change in settings or?

mrk86m

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I thought so too. I've been searching everywhere for more info/ a workaround.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
And videos shot on the iPhone are viewed in the Photos app.

I agree with the OP. I think its ridiculous that there are A**holes out there that need to say crap like PHOTOstream in response to this question about videos. In the interest of keeping this thread alive and in the pursuit of real knowledge ill phrase my question differently. Is there anyway to take have videos automatically sync with iCloud, be it through photostream etc. without having to use the wifi sync feature with iTunes? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Ridiculous. I guess the iPhone is NOT PC-Free since you need to connect to transfer videos to iPhoto.

And it only being over wifi blows my mind too. I really hope something like my3G fixes this. In general, people take pics when they're NOT on wifi. Not at home or work. And then you get home and have a couple hundred megs to upload at once. I'd rather have the choice to do it on the fly.

gavstephenson

macrumors member
May 25, 2006
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but I still (having read all posts) can't work this one out. As the thread starter states, in the Apple demo video, iCloud transfers movies shot using iPhone 4S onto all devices.

iCloud sends photos I took on iPhone to iphoto, but I don't know if my movies are being transferred anywhere??

Thanks.

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
Sorry, maybe I'm missing something but I still (having read all posts) can't work this one out. As the thread starter states, in the Apple demo video, iCloud transfers movies shot using iPhone 4S onto all devices.

iCloud sends photos I took on iPhone to iphoto, but I don't know if my movies are being transferred anywhere??

Thanks.

Which demo video? Can we have a link?

nancy1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I also thought I saw an iCloud Ad with video being loaded to iCloud. Didn't a child run in from a football game or something and go and immediately check out the video on a mac at home? Not sure either how it would be possible since it is supposed to upload only via wifi?!

shinobi1

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
I also thought I saw an iCloud Ad with video being loaded to iCloud. Didn't a child run in from a football game or something and go and immediately check out the video on a mac at home? Not sure either how it would be possible since it is supposed to upload only via wifi?!

Nope. I looked too and it is only a picture being uploaded. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXwb30week&feature=youtube_gdata_player
It is at the 4:20 minute area.

Regards,

Martin

P.s. I found this thread as I too am looking to upload videos:rolleyes:

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
OK, so what is the best way to get your videos off the iPhone?
I guess an Import from Aperture / iPhoto?

Photostream has already taken care of the photos, so how to only import the videos, without re-importing all the photos?

Easiest way I've found is to use Image Capture, sort on file size (biggest usually = movie), aperture (movies have blank aperture) or something like that, find the videos, then drag them into the Finder

But this is a terrible user experience - anyone have a better method?

At the moment I'm not really bothering to take any video, as it's such a drag to get off the phone / I keep forgetting & wiping them!

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
OK, so what is the best way to get your videos off the iPhone?
I guess an Import from Aperture / iPhoto?

Photostream has already taken care of the photos, so how to only import the videos, without re-importing all the photos?

Easiest way I've found is to use Image Capture, sort on file size (biggest usually = movie), aperture (movies have blank aperture) or something like that, find the videos, then drag them into the Finder

But this is a terrible user experience - anyone have a better method?

At the moment I'm not really bothering to take any video, as it's such a drag to get off the phone / I keep forgetting & wiping them!

As long as you have PhotoStream set up in iPhoto and set it to automatically import your PhotoStream pics into your library (all in Preferences), then when you plug in your phone, you should only see videos to import and the pics should be in the "already imported" section.

Sometimes, the pics come up to be imported as well, but while it's importing, it realizes it already has them in the library and asks if it should import a duplicate, say no and you're all good.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
<rant>
And another thing ....

Once my videos are in Aperture, they're not syncing onto my iPhone, even if I've selected the relevant Smart Albums in the Photos tab of iTunes ...

So I still think that video syncing isn't exactly smooth ...

Hey ho

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
These 1080p videos are starting to be a pain to sync to iphoto via usb.

The quicker they incorporate video in wireless syncing the better. Just to even have it as an opt in would be great :p

tbelote

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
try KinKast

I've been developing an app that lets you transfer videos to the KinKast cloud, Facebook, and youtube with resumable block level transfers.

I understand how auto syncing with iCloud would be better, but then you would still have to remember to share the photos and videos with family and friends after they have synced to iPhoto. With KinKast you can share the videos before they are done transferring and the share message will go out after the uploads are complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Apple still needs to clean all of this up...

Why are video's in iTunes? - iTunes should = music
Why are videos in iPhoto? - iPhoto should = photos
Why aren't videos in iMovie... hmmm

Videos will play in iPhoto but not in Photos on iOS devices... But videos will play on Apple TV under the photos heading... On iOS devices videos are in the videos app which isn't found on Mac's or the Apple TV... hmmm

Don't even get me started on photostream...

I wonder how many people it took to make these decisions???

Last edited:

ksvm

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
plug phone into computer
iphoto opens and shows photos and movies on the phone
select what you want and import video into iPhoto

mjb7mjb7

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Videos & Photostream - iPhone 4s/IBM PC

I am on a PC and do not have iPhoto.....so any other suggestions to get a video someone sent me via iMessage onto my PC? I saved the image to my camera roll, but it never gets to my "photo stream" and not sure how to dump it to my pc...any help appreciated...

DaMan05

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2008
I am on a PC and do not have iPhoto.....so any other suggestions to get a video someone sent me via iMessage onto my PC? I saved the image to my camera roll, but it never gets to my "photo stream" and not sure how to dump it to my pc...any help appreciated...

Plug into computer.
Open My Computer.
Open "iPhone" that will be there as a removable device.
Copy out the files you want.

:)

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Plug into computer.
Open My Computer.
Open "iPhone" that will be there as a removable device.
Copy out the files you want.

:)

What's the point of iOS's Photostream and wifi sync capabilities if every day I have to plug it into my computer and manually select and download the video clips? This is retarded.

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.