Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

coolingnest.jpg

Jeff Robbin and Tony Fadell were the co-leads behind the development of the original iPod. Now, 10 years past the iPod's introduction, Jeff Robbin is reportedly in charge of Apple's effort to remake the television. But what of Tony Fadell? He promised Steve Jobs that he wouldn't make anything that would compete with Apple products and instead started a new company, Nest Labs, to remake the thermostat.

From TechCrunch's post introducing Nest's Learning Thermostat:
Fadell got the idea designing his green home in Tahoe. He was shocked there wasn't a single attractive thermostat on the market so he decided to build his own. The size of the market and the potential impact on the planet convinced him it was a great business. And if he didn't do it, who would? The unit uses the guts of a smart phone and required someone who knows how to build drop-dead-easy user experiences.
<script src="http://player.ooyala.com/player.js?height=315&embedCode=5lYjV4MjojXx6nbMOXNmLAkgX5q4KcwF&deepLinkEmbedCode=5lYjV4MjojXx6nbMOXNmLAkgX5q4KcwF&width=560&video_pcode=11amo6qGw2oucN78pR-BYbDpCESk"></script>​
The Nest Learning Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and can be remotely controlled by a iPhone app or a laptop. The thermostat will retail for $249 when it goes on sale in mid-November.

Article Link: iPod Creator Tony Fadell's Next Quest Is to Revolutionize Thermostats

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Negative Feedback Loops Anyone?

The problem I see is that it will learn from people in the house adjusting the thermostat, which at least in my house will NOT be the optimal settings for energy savings. With an "old fashioned" adjustable thermostat I set it up for energy savings and it stays that way. Even if my kids turn up the heat, it is only for the current time segment. The Nest will learn that it should be warmer during that time slot and adjust its settings, thereby eroding the energy savings. That being said, Honeywell could learn a lot about the thermostat interface from the folks at Nest.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I like the nice design and interface, but I'm fine with my current themostat. My current one has been working for 8 years now, has a like 5 programs per day, backlight, AA battery to store settings in case power failure. And it matches my decor.

This "Learning Thermostat" won't fit my house unless I decide to replace all my furniture and detailing with IKEA stuff.

TeamMojo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2004
The problem I see is that it will learn from people in the house adjusting the thermostat, which at least in my house will NOT be the optimal settings for energy savings. With an "old fashioned" adjustable thermostat I set it up for energy savings and it stays that way. Even if my kids turn up the heat, it is only for the current time segment. The Nest will learn that it should be warmer during that time slot and adjust its settings, thereby eroding the energy savings. That being said, Honeywell could learn a lot about the thermostat interface from the folks at Nest.​

Right, but it also learns via presence when you are not there, and turns the heat down. So the point is to make it comfortable when you want it, and then to save energy when you are not there. All automatically.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it looks cool but I don't need my thermostat to learn.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
This "Learning Thermostat" won't fit my house unless I decide to replace all my furniture and detailing with IKEA stuff.

Maybe there's an aftermarket for themes and skins. I might go for a classic brass and teak "Nautical" theme, but others might want "Steam Punk", "My Little Pony™", or just "Beige".

And for the learning part to be turned off, that would be the "Dropout" theme.

MR-Law

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

The interviewer is so aggrivating. She does the "mmm, hmm" about 500 times. It was so distracting and all I did was focus on it.

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
i'm all for this because i'm all for saving energy, reducing waste, and other green living alternatives we can do each and every day...

but boy do i love living in america, where all these energy hungry fools don't give a crap about reducing their impacts. :rolleyes:

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
The Nest Learning Thermostat is connected to Wi-Fi and can be remotely controlled by a iPhone app or a laptop.

Come on people think a little bigger - how about home-devices combined with the [presently hypothetical] Siri third party API?

"Siri, it's a little warm in here"
"Siri, set the living room to 70 degrees whenever I'm home."
"Siri, when I leave for work set the house to 78 degrees for 6 hours."

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

The interviewer is so aggrivating. She does the "mmm, hmm" about 500 times. It was so distracting and all I did was focus on it.

That's Sarah Lacy, she ALWAYS does that.

Anyway, the thermostat looks interesting, I've often thought to myself the same thing, that current thermostats always suck and could be designed a lot better. That said, his pitch was a little weird...incident light reflecting...hmm, yeah. Well, if I ever have enough money for a big house, I'll buy one!

Next big thing for Apple should be a standard automotive interface. Could even be literally an iPad behind the dashboard (which would therefore be easily upgradeable), with a few peripheral electronics. Think about it, they have the software tech, the touch screens, music, video, GPS and mapping, text messaging, phone calls, wireless setup, upgrading and media and contact syncing, hands-free operation (Siri), pretty much everything they need.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
If you watch the promo videos, and the installation support videos on the nest website you'll see that this a pretty amazing product. In fact, I've been waiting for something like this for years. I'll be ordering one as soon as it's available.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
That's Sarah Lacy, she ALWAYS does that.

Anyway, the thermostat looks interesting, I've often thought to myself the same thing, that current thermostats always suck and could be designed a lot better. That said, his pitch was a little weird...incident light reflecting...hmm, yeah. Well, if I ever have enough money for a big house, I'll buy one!

Next big thing for Apple should be a standard automotive interface. Could even be literally an iPad behind the dashboard (which would therefore be easily upgradeable), with a few peripheral electronics. Think about it, they have the software tech, the touch screens, music, video, GPS and mapping, text messaging, phone calls, wireless setup, upgrading and media and contact syncing, hands-free operation (Siri), pretty much everything they need.

...except for a willing car company. No car company would allow a 1024x768 display with GPS/iPhone/handsfree and one that's upgradable when they can charge $3000 for an inferior version as part of a "technology" package.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
This guy just gets no love! Remember when the iPod came out? No one thought it would be successful. You could literally replace the words in some of the above comments with iPod, and we're back in 2001. This guy's going to make a ton a money on this, definitely one of those markets people thought didn't need change.

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

1--his delivery reminds me more of s jobs than anyone else I've heard (ok, it reflects the wAll color…)
2--if you keep striving for the lead, won't you adjust to 72, and next time it'll take 73 to get the leaf, then 74 and 75 and so on? What ends the escalation? Are you like a frog that never jumps from the warming pot til he's boiled?
3--can you monitor the thermostat fro
Your phone? Program it? Seems a waste of smart phone technology if you can't.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
I can see how this would be worthwhile for anyone who still has an old mechanical (non-programmable) thermostat. It will easily pay for itself in energy savings.

But for everyone who already moved to programmable thermostats over the last 10-15 years, it's not such a great deal (especially at $250) as you've already reduced energy consumption and Nest is probably not going to reduce it much further, unless you've just done a poor job of programming your existing one.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Color me intrigued. Home automation still has a long way to go, and Nest appears to be both designed well and priced reasonably (average thermostats range between $150 and $250).

I am a bit perplexed by auto away feature though. It seems you need to purchase multiple Nest thermostats at $250 a piece to cover multiple "active" areas (instead of inexpensive remote sensor add-on units).

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The question I would like answered is does it have a pet mode? I would hate to come home one winter evening and the thermostat is set to 60 and the cat and dog are both sick. I know it has a motion detector. Is it sensitive enough to pick up the 4-legged habitants of the house? I am sure the temp can just be adjusted from the iPhone app, but if this can done automatically sign me up. Any way I can save money and automate a part of my house I am all for it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’ve long wished to see Apple’s simplicity and ease-of-use extended to other markets/devices in my life. Every now and then, I get my wish! And this one could also help the planet.

(More often, companies fumble towards for Apple “style,” as if the superficial is what makes Apple great. They forget that design is how a thing works, to paraphrase Jobs, and they end up with something a little simpler-looking than the rest, but not that efficient to use.)

Rolvag

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Very cool, I ordered 3 for my home, They "talk" to each other!

I watched the video and I agree he TRY'S to have the same delivery of Jobs, He's just not as cool or polished at it.

I'll let you know how they work when I get them. Pre-orderd on Best-buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.