Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Hey all,

Does anyone know anything that I can do with the menu button on my apple remote in 10.7? Currently it does nothing.

I would like something like FrontPage (which doesn't work with Lion as far as I know) to play my iTunes music with the remote. Does anyone know anything that does this?

Thanks,
Greg

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I believe you mean Front Row.

Front Row works in Lion if you do the following.

1) Copy the required files from a Snow Leopard install, or get them from somewhere. This is more than just the Front Row app from the Applications folder.

2) Set up a local share of your iTunes library.

Once Front Row is (re)installed, the remote will work swimmingly and Front Row will launch.

However, you'll notice it won't find your music library. Pictures and videos should work fine. However, in order to get your music, you'll have to "share your library with yourself", go to sources on the main menu and voila, your music is there, albeit with missing album art.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I followed all the instructions, including the ones about making the dupe file to get Front Row to access to, and it still didn't work... maybe I should just give up ><

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
yes and yes, but i also have a password on it because I live in a dorm with many computers all on the same network... does that affect it? also I keep getting an error like this when I try to manually enable it...

Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-10-24%252520at%2525209.47.30%252520PM.png

I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong...

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Try the very first command listed in the article and see if it works for you then.

If that works, it should work "permanently" by using one of the commands in the comments. I suggest the one posted by "richiesmit".

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Try the very first command listed in the article and see if it works for you then.

If that works, it should work "permanently" by using one of the commands in the comments. I suggest the one posted by "richiesmit".

This works, but only when i set my library to public, which isn't ideal because I am running on a Wi-Fi network with about 150 other students...

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Ahh, that may not quite be the solution for you then. I'm afraid there isn't any other way at this point.

well, by public i mean it doesn't seem to work when i set a password, which is kinda necessary...still no solution?

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In theory, it SHOULD work. I'm not sure if Front Row was able to connect to password protected shares pre-Lion/iTunes 10.4.

But assuming Front Row could read protected shares, then perhaps the conflict lies in how the shares are protected in newer versions of iTunes.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
yeah it's weird... when I secure the library, the option to connect to it doesn't even show up. it must be some problem with authentification or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.