Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andymichniewicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
When I plug my phone in (to the wall, computer, xbox) it will start to charge and then it will say "Charging not supported for this accessory," and will stop charging. I've tried all kinds of cables with my phone, tried my cable on my friend's iPod so it's not that! However, (when it stays on long enough to) it WILL sync to the computer. So i'll plug it in, starts to charge, get the error message but still syncs.

- I've tried cleaning out the connector, but this is obviously not the problem because it syncs with my computer.
- A brave friend trusted me to take the battery out of his iphone and put it in mine, this did not help, still said charging not supported.
- I tried to restore it with iTunes.
- I tried a 'hard reset' (holding the home and sleep button for 10 seconds. it did the whole start up thing, but no help on the problem)

I left it plugged into my computer overnight (from 2:30am-11:30am) and when i woke up it had 50% battery after 9hrs of charging. I used it a little bit (nothing terribly intensive) and it was dead by 2:30pm (battery expenditure seemed accelerated).

"Take it to an apple store" isn't exactly an option as I converted the case (it was black, now it's red) over the summer after smashing the original screen. They will probably tell me that that's why it won't work and they'll try to charge me like crazy to fix it, and it IS very possible that I ****ed something up and it had long term (not short term) effects, so my question is what is it?!

Relevant? I recently had issues with service on my phone. it'd lose service or have like 1-2 bars. I opened it back up and it turned out that the round, black wire that connects the antenna to the 'motherboard' was loose. fixed that and have had full service since then!

HELP! Please please help me! I've been an iPhone user for like 4 years now (had the original, the 3GS, now the 4 and may get the 4S since I have an upgrade waiting for me, but i want to get this fixed so i can sell it), and I have never had a problem and I just need this fixed!

Thank you in advance!:apple:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I get that occasionally when failing to plug a wire in properly, crooked or whatever. Sounds like a damaged connector on your phone to me. There are 30 pins, they don't all do the same thing.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
"Take it to an apple store" isn't exactly an option as I converted the case (it was black, now it's red) over the summer after smashing the original screen.
Sure it is. Convert it back. It's probably a hardware issue anyway which will require that you take it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.