Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can wiggle my home button a tiny bit side to side and up and down on my new 4S. It makes a tiny clicking noise when I do so.

Is this normal?

Aelton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Mine does it too. Been considering whether to take it in to the Genius Bar.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Mine does it too. My girlfriends does. (Both 4S)

My replacement iPhone 4 does.

9/10 displays at Apple do too.

Is this normal? Gotta be.

Loves2spoon

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
California
From my experience with 8 Genius bar replacements I would recommend you keep your original phone and stop wiggling the home button right and left!

Wiggling home buttons, yellow screens, dust under screens...

Remember the home button goes up and down! lol

(my iPhone 4S also has this problem, but does not bother me anymore and I have extreme Apple OCD!)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
My iPhone 4 does it, so does my wifes 4S.

That's normal for an old style mechanical button. Too bad Apple is over-invested in this poor solution. They really should be using a touch sensitive control, after all the _entire_ display is touch sensitive and the best in the industry.

The Apple fanbois, worshipers, and hangers on will offer a million excuses defending Apples choice. Thereby reinforcing the fear of moving forward. The fear of change.

They'll even use it to bash Android phones that use this type of control. After all if Apple didn't invent it, its got to be a failure.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
No home button wiggle on my 4S but my power button does wiggle from side to side.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
My 4 had that wiggle pretty bad but I kept it because my first 4 died randomly 2 days in. Seems like normal variation to me as I still play with iphones at stores with that same wiggle room in the home button.

My current 4s has a tight button but two dust specs under the screen and I am not returning for that. Its too much of a risk when you know what you got works well as is.

Also, i have this weird belief that the more I exchange the more likely something bad will happen down the line. Hahaha (I know, far fetched).

Just love it. Especially if your screen looks good.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
My iPhone 4's home button could wiggle a little bit, but my 4S has a perfectly fitted button that only goes up and down. To be honest, though, it's not something to worry about, is it? Never bothered me on my old phone.

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
I noticed that the home button on my 4S is slightly raised, my 3G, 3GS and 4 all where slightly below the surface of the phone. Just a minor variation in manufacturing. As for wiggling it, mine is solidly in place.

rkeato1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I noticed that the home button on my 4S is slightly raised, my 3G, 3GS and 4 all where slightly below the surface of the phone. Just a minor variation in manufacturing. As for wiggling it, mine is solidly in place.

Mine too, not sure if it's gonna bother me enough yet...

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
My once Black iphone 4 had this issue but genius told me it wasn't a issue.

I now have white iphone 4S and my button does not wiggle and does not making a clicking noise if i wiggle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.