Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

empire01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
UK
I must be mad or something. I bought a ringtone and its sitting in my 'purchased' folder. But when I try to click and drag into my iPhone or iTunes ringtones folders it simply does nothing.
I would be very grateful for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong!
Thanks

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Does it show up under Ringtones in itunes under the Library section?
Is itunes set to sync ringtones?

empire01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
UK
Does it show up under Ringtones in itunes under the Library section?
Is itunes set to sync ringtones?

No it doesn't appear under Ringtones. It only appears in Purchased. If I try to drag and drop from purchased into iTunes or iPhone nothing happens.
How do you check if iTunes is set to sync ringtones? I can't find any reference to ringtone syncing in any of the menus.
Thanks for responding.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
With your phone connected, select it under Devices on the left, then look for Ringtones in the horizontal list of stuff beginning with "Summary Info Apps Ringtones etc"

Past that I'm out of ideas having never bought a ringtone (the couple I have I created from a music file)

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
i think when i bought one from itunes it was under purchased in the itunes app and then i selected it and it began to download. after it appeared under the sound settings of the phone. There was no sync involved. Other ones i have dragged into itunes myself require the syncing.

empire01

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2010
UK
i think when i bought one from itunes it was under purchased in the itunes app and then i selected it and it began to download. after it appeared under the sound settings of the phone. There was no sync involved. Other ones i have dragged into itunes myself require the syncing.

That's my problem, it appears under purchases but doesn't move to the phone.
Also when I select my phone in iTunes its shows, Summary, apps, music etc but no tab for ringtones.
I think I'll just forget it. I'm spending hours messing around just to put a ringtone on the thing!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
When you show it in the Purchased section, then right-click the ringtone and select "Show in Finder" (or equivalent on Windows) what do you get.

Is the filetype .m4r?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
That's my problem, it appears under purchases but doesn't move to the phone.
Also when I select my phone in iTunes its shows, Summary, apps, music etc but no tab for ringtones.
I think I'll just forget it. I'm spending hours messing around just to put a ringtone on the thing!

I'm talking about the itunes app not the desktop version.

M4R is the format

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.