Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I read that whole article and the three pages of the forum thread linked to it. It's neat the guy is so dedicated, but a FW repeater/hub would have been far less trouble and cost. The single FW port limitation of the Mac mini is easily overcome. He's using it as a file server, but the mini's 10/100 networking means there's no advantage to using drives directly connected to the mini's IDE bus compared to using drives connected via FireWire. I figure gigabit networking wouldn't even give the advantage to directly connected drives, or it'd be a small difference.

Maybe FW enclosures cost way more where he lives, but over here you can get a decent one for around $45.

iWantAMac

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
AUS
MacTruck said:
I am waiting patiently for someone to post pics of the mini mounted in their car. I hear its DIN size.
Not my car, but I found these on another forum while using google to search for mini pics.

incars4av.jpg

dashs2ff.jpg

backs4yv.jpg

simie

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Here is the screen details

809GL-80NP-T
8" 4:3 Monitor with VGA in/Video in with Touch Screen

Specifications

Features:
Incredible resolution: 921,600 pixels (1024 x 768 dots)
VGA Input connects to PC and laptops directly
S-video input for high quality pictures
2 RCA video inputs and 1 audio input
Touch screen USB interface
Touch screen pen included
NTSC/PAL/SECAM auto conversion
Full Functional Wireless Remote Control
Built-in Audio speakers(Composite mode only)
No radiation and super slim
Wide viewing angle
English language menu display
Programmable auto on/off
Computer display/DVD/VCD/Security system/Navigation system/Rear view camera connectible

Specification:
Screen Panel: Sharp 8" Active Matrix TFT LCD Panel

Color configuration: RGB stripe

Dimensions: 206x163x39.5 (mm)

Actual screen size: 162x122 (mm)

Resolution: 921,600 pixels (1024 x 768 dots)

Audio Output Signal: 100mVp-p

Impedance: 75?

Contrast: 200:1

Brightness: 400 nits

Video Input Signal: 1.0Vp-p

Video System: NTSC/PAL/SECAM Auto Selection

Viewing Angle: U/60, D/60, R/80, L/80°

Power Consumption: 9W

Power DC Intput: 12V

Operating Condition (Temperature): -20 ~ 70

Operating Condition (Humidity): 10 ~ 90

Storage (Condition Temperature): -30 ~ 80

Storage (Humidity): 10 ~ 90

Description:
This is an 8" high quality touch screen XGA TFT LCD car monitor. It is perfect for viewing DVD movies, playing video games and connecting to computers, laptops and GPS. The monitor is equipped with a fully functional touch screen and one can control computers by simply touching the screen. This monitor also comes with a pen for the touch screen.

It features high resolution, wide viewing angles, touch screen function, multi-size display, S-video input and more.

This monitor is universal and can be installed, used in all cars, ships and anywhere in the world!

Definition of TFT: Abbreviation of thin film transistor, a type of LCD flat-panel display screen, in which each pixel Is controlled by from one to four transistors. The TFT technology provides the best resolution of all the flat-panel techniques. TFT screens are sometimes called "active-matrix LCDs".

Package includes:
8' TFT XGA Monitor
12V Car power cord for cigarette lighter (universal)
240 ~ 100AC Adapter
Universal monitor stand
Wireless Remote Controller
Installation CD (driver and software for touch screen)
RCA wiring harness
VGA connector and USB connector
English Manual

Click here to visit lilliputuk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.