Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
I just got my 4s yesterday and finding that it is getting quite warm under normal use. For instance, typing several messages in a warm makes the phone warm enough that my hands start to clam up. I don't have a problem with my hands sweating.

I've also had the phone in my pocket and feel the phone heating up, especially the side right under the SIM slot.

Playing a game can also make it warm enough that is noticeable.

Is this normal?

Note: I had a 3GS before and never felt heat like this.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
From what you describe it could be normal enough. My iPhone 4 can get noticeably warm when I'm using it for an extended period, and games would certainly heat up the CPU. "Hot" would be a problem, i.e. if it feels like it could burn you, but "Warm" is normal enough.

rgs3

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
I just got my 4s yesterday and finding that it is getting quite warm under normal use. For instance, typing several messages in a warm makes the phone warm enough that my hands start to clam up. I don't have a problem with my hands sweating.

I've also had the phone in my pocket and feel the phone heating up, especially the side right under the SIM slot.

Playing a game can also make it warm enough that is noticeable.

Is this normal?

Note: I had a 3GS before and never felt heat like this.

Under normal use the phone should be COOL to the touch. If it is hot (like mine was) you have something wrong keeping your CPU at max. In my case it was a reoccuring meeting that was glitching up my phone. Under notifications it was flashing and glitchy looking, my phone was always hot and the battery was horrendous just like everyone was complaining about. I deleted the meeting appt and all my issues went away-cool phone and excellent battery (lasts over 24 hours). I've heard several other people having this issue with a similar fix.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Under normal use the phone should be COOL to the touch. If it is hot (like mine was) you have something wrong keeping your CPU at max. In my case it was a reoccuring meeting that was glitching up my phone. Under notifications it was flashing and glitchy looking, my phone was always hot and the battery was horrendous just like everyone was complaining about. I deleted the meeting appt and all my issues went away-cool phone and excellent battery (lasts over 24 hours). I've heard several other people having this issue with a similar fix.

if i watch video like live news on tv shaw its get hot

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

This is incorrect. When you use your phone to talk it will get hot. Every single cell phone ever made does this. I used to sell cell phones.

Depending on what apps you use, and what processing those apps do, your phone could get hotter or cooler.

duffer6

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Getting Hot is a feature for us here in the North East, we just had our first snow yesterday and I was able to keep my hands nice and warm with my new iPhone 4s. LOL. The 4s does run warmer than the 4 just like the 2011 MBP run hotter than the 2010. More processing power in the same form factor will run hotter. No way around it. FYI the fact that it runs hotter should not be a concern, your phone can handle it and it is functioning within specs. Relax and enjoy your technology.

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Hmm... even in my pocket it is warm. But perhaps because it's glass it is absorbing my body's heat more than the plastic on the 3GS was?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
same here my 4S gets warm when I use it a lot, also if I am in the car chargiung it, I notice it gets warmer then at home with my wall charger.

I am using the Belkin Mini charger I bought at Best Buy because that was what Apple sells on their site, so I figured it had been tested and approved by Apple.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Yes this is normal.

Does your PC or laptop get warm/hot under normal use? Yes, it does.

Does your TV get warm/hot under normal use? Yes, it does.

So will a phone with a powerful processor and the antenna constantly receiving/sending data in a tight, limited ventilated area get warm/hot? Yes, it will.

What's not normal is people asking/saying stupid questions/comments...

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Yeah, on what planet do phones stay cool to the touch? Sure, if I'm just briefly using it, but any smartphone I've ever had gets a little warm with prolonged use. If you're burning yourself like my old BB Storm liked to try to do to me, then that's a problem.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
same here my 4S gets warm when I use it a lot, also if I am in the car chargiung it, I notice it gets warmer then at home with my wall charger.

I am using the Belkin Mini charger I bought at Best Buy because that was what Apple sells on their site, so I figured it had been tested and approved by Apple.

Ok...

That's normal, you just said it yourself, it gets warm when you use it a lot

:confused:

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
Since none of you can actually feel my phone, this is all subjective. But it gets uncomfortably warm on the antenna just under the sim card slot just going through various settings menu on the phone.

Yes, I'll be taking it to the Genius bar to get it checked, but also wanted to gauge the experience of everyone else.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
My iPhone gets warm when playing games etc and i expected that but not uncomfortable. My iphone 3G gets warm too. Could be heat is transferring better through metal/glass than plastic.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The processor IS faster so it would generate more heat, unless they've added some sort of extra cooling to it as well.

Now I'd worry if it was hot to the touch (like close to burn worthy) but warm is perfectly normal. It is, after all, essentially a computer.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
The processor IS faster so it would generate more heat, unless they've added some sort of extra cooling to it as well.

Now I'd worry if it was hot to the touch (like close to burn worthy) but warm is perfectly normal. It is, after all, essentially a computer.

Almost a computer lol

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The iPhone 4 got just as hot.

Jon Boy

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2011
Doncaster, UK
Since none of you can actually feel my phone, this is all subjective. But it gets uncomfortably warm on the antenna just under the sim card slot just going through various settings menu on the phone.

Yes, I'll be taking it to the Genius bar to get it checked, but also wanted to gauge the experience of everyone else.

I had the same problem when the 4 came out, i took it to apple genius and they said there was a fault, they replaced it and the second one did run cooler.

Also i know things get hot when charging but the first 4 i had got red hot and you could not touch the glass back at all, i honestly don't know how the glass did not break!

jot366

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
Hi I had the same problem cause of playing mine craft so I closed it and it came down to normal temperature
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.