Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Just wanted to inform you that Battlefield 3 is working on ULTRA settings with 30 FPS + on the early 2011 MBP 15" 2,2GHz Model.

What did I do?

- buy 8GB of RAM ;)
- install them
- Install Windows 7 64-Bit on Bootcamp
- De-Install Bootcamp ATI drivers
- Install 11.10 Preview 3 Drivers!
- use ATI Tray Tool to overclock to 750/900 with 0.955V

Then just install the game and enjoy!!! It's ****ING AWESOME!

Settings:
All on ULTRA and 16x AA :)
Resolution 1680*1050

mape2k

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Germany

Giving away sensitive data to EA/Origin is awesome as well?

EULA EA said:
EA Services may include hyperlinks to web sites operated by third parties including advertisers and other content providers. Those sites may collect data or solicit personal information from you. EA does not control such web sites, and is not responsible for their content, privacy policies, or for the collection, use or disclosure of any information those sites may collect.

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
As if Origin is different from pretty much any other service in which you give your personal information to.

well yeah with Origin it got really worse... now EA is not only leader in FPS games but also in using pointless/useless/crappy external programs for starting a game :D

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Still it searches your hard drive for anything. That should be classifies spy ware and is illegal in many countries yet they put it into the EULA and think they can get away with it.

I would at least sandbox the damn program and show those fools that it wouldn't help them catch real warez users anyway. It just pisses of everyone along the way and introduces practices into the software world that should be (and sometimes are) illegal and discouraged.

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Last edited:

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
AFAIK BF3 beta did not run on ultra settings but medium :eek:

BETA wasn't opmtimized NO1
BETA was limited to graphics so even if you put ULTRA on it it wasnt ULTRA it was still MEDIUM
BETA wasnt the time were there was 11.10 Drivers optimized for BF3!

I say it runs on ULTRA without LAG and with more than 30+ FPS with my SETTINGS on bootcamp with 11.10 Drivers, OVERCLOCKED and with 8GB of RAM. If you miss one of those things it wont run smooth!

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
Looks like, that I will be a happy owner when I get the game then :D
but then again while playing multiplayer or singleplayer?

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Looks like, that I will a happy owner when I get the game then :D
but then again while playing multiplayer or singleplayer?

I'm talking about playing Caspian Border with 64 players on the map! who the **** cares about Singleplayer ;)

Well then add me later when u get the game:

Elitefredy

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
My mbp won't get here til the 2nd ><

Could you check how much fps you can get with med and high settings please??

Kinda hoping to get 60fps min with med settings with aa/af off.

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
My mbp won't get here til the 2nd ><

Could you check how much fps you can get with med and high settings please??

Kinda hoping to get 60fps min with med settings with aa/af off.

yeah u get 60 fps already on ULTRA when not in open land like caspian border. but with medium and no AA u will have 60 fps and more where ever u are :D

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
Curse you for making me buy the game earlier than I actually planned to :D
because of my slow internet connection I'll have to wait for ages (5hours) :(
but where did you get the 11.10 preview 3 drivers?

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
yeah u get 60 fps already on ULTRA when not in open land like caspian border. but with medium and no AA u will have 60 fps and more where ever u are :D

Sounds great, i'll take ur word for it.

see you on the battlefield sooooon!! :cool:

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
Just wanted to inform you that Battlefield 3 is working on ULTRA settings with 30 FPS + on the early 2011 MBP 15" 2,2GHz Model.

What did I do?

- buy 8GB of RAM ;)
- install them
- Install Windows 7 64-Bit on Bootcamp
- De-Install Bootcamp ATI drivers
- Install 11.10 Preview 3 Drivers!
- use ATI Tray Tool to overclock to 750/900 with 0.955V

Settings:
All on ULTRA and 16x AA :)
Resolution 1680*1050

PLEASE tell me how to De-Install Bootcamp ATI drivers

Meetster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Done the same exact thing here....yet im looking at ~20-25 fps?

Here is the tutorial how to install 11.10 preview 3!

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobil...9-display-drivers-notebooks-28-09-2011-a.html

just instead download 11.10 preview 3

http://downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Cat-11.10-Preview-3-(8.901.2-October-16)-download-2801.html

Here's another Thread about overclocking the 6750:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1142028/

They even run it on 800/1050 but I would go with 750/900 +/- 20 not more to be sure :)

I forgot to mention i'm using:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1203927/

to stop the CPU Turbo Boosting :) else it will overheat and then it will throttle down :D so with that u gain atleast 5 FPS and you dont have FPS drops that often because of heat

Last edited:

WonkyPanda

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I'd like to note that, even with a gpu floating around 85C, your cpu will still be running around 2.5ghz which is an improvement over locking it at 2.2ghz.

EDIT: After testing myself, i'd like to strike my first comment. It seems, unsurprisingly, BF3 is extremely taxing on the CPU than most games and allowing it to turbo will result in the cpu being throttled to about 2.0 and 1.9ghz. It is best to lock throttle stop at 2.2ghz (no turbo) for BF3

Last edited:

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
what I have found out so far.
775/875 at 0.955v but will try 775/975 at 0.955v later tonight (runs well on Crysis 2)
22x100Mhz = 2.2Ghz
ultra settings as you say fluctuates around 20-25 fps and rarely hits 30+ unless i look down all the time :p
medium settings without MSAA and AA set to 2x fluctuates around 45-60fps (if it wasn't low settings :p ) but it is more stabil with throttlestop and the game seems smoother somehow, I don't know if it's placebo :rolleyes:
but I used FRAPS to measure my framerates since the ATI tray tools thing doesn't work, and I forgot how to show in-game fps, like the one in the beta :)

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
what I have found out so far.
775/875 at 0.955v but will try 775/975 at 0.955v later tonight (runs well on Crysis 2)
22x100Mhz = 2.2Ghz
ultra settings as you say fluctuates around 20-25 fps and rarely hits 30+ unless i look down all the time :p
medium settings without MSAA and AA set to 2x fluctuates around 45-60fps (if it wasn't low settings :p ) but it is more stabil with throttlestop and the game seems smoother somehow, I don't know if it's placebo :rolleyes:
but I used FRAPS to measure my framerates since the ATI tray tools thing doesn't work, and I forgot how to show in-game fps, like the one in the beta :)

Not too bad, med settings without MSAA gets around 45~60fps.. Thanks for testing it out!! I suppose that's how I will run mine when I get my MBP.

btw, "Render.DrawFps 1" is the in-game command

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
will it run decent on my MBP?
AMD Radeon HD 6490M

rest of specs in my signature

edit also does anyone recomment a controller for these type of games i also play a few NES emulator games so i would like a controller that can also work for them

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.