Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I'm on my second Speck case for my 13" MBA. Both have cracked at the corners as shown in the pictures. My laptop almost never actually leaves the house and I baby the hell out of it. I'm not cracking it putting it on either. It looks perfect after I install it and then a month or so later it starts to crack. If I'd had known this one was going to crack too I would have taken the first one back to the Apple store and complained. I bought the second one Amazon so I can't very well complain to Apple at this point. Should I email Speck?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attachments

• speck crack.JPG
    speck crack.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 3,052

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Speck cases are junk, totally worthless. All the tabs on my bottom case have cracked and broken off and the thing barely stays on. I just put a big rubber band around it when I close it. Email Speck, they will do a warranty return if bought from authorized dealer and have receipt, but you have to pay shipping. Probably not worth it. I will eventually try Incipio's unit.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
Known issue (Speck knows it, I've even asked their CS), just send it in for replacement if you want to.

My Black Satin has been just fine and I bring it around with me to uni everyday. We'll see how long that lasts.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I just sent them an email after the bottom completely snapped on mine after 3 months. I don't really think that's an acceptable length of time for a case to last. Especially not for £40.

They are of fairly poor quality, in my opinion.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Any other recommendations? I could get an Incipio but I kind of like how the Apple logo shines through even the colored Speck cases. Incipio has a FAQ saying their cases are opaque and the light won't shine through the darker cases.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
I have the incipio feather I've had it for about a week and I've taken it off 3 times. It is not cracked. It is easier to take off than I thought it would be. Maybe they've made some tweaks to the design.

I love it and I think I made the best choice!!!

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Doesn't really make sense that you complained the Apple in the first place...It's not their product...AT ALL. The fault is all on Speck if it's a design defect or poor manufacturing.

If you have anyone to blame it's Speck. Speck stuff generally is good as far as their iPhone cases go, but I hate their shells.

I think most shells in general are garbage to begin with. They just trap dirt and grime between them and your nice shiny product. Over time this can cause scuffing, scratching, and even staining of your macbook casing.

Not worth it.

Poopsie

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Speck are complete garbage, stay away. Mine is 7 months old, of course can't find the receipt so I can't get a replacement. Garbage is all I can say:mad:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
This is such a great looking laptop I have not had any desire to cover it. With just a bit of care, I have never had a problem with scratching or denting. I highly suggest trying it. Nothing in the way to impede air flow either. :)

summitRun

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
dont get it...

^^agreed^^

For the life of me (and I've tried) I cannot understand why anyone would cover up their beautiful MBA with hard plastic sillyness 'protection'...when all you need is some common sense and a good padded sleeve at half or less the price...

Queen6

macrumors G4
Yes most definitely, Speck need customer feedback. Personally I would loose the case, the Air and other Apple notebooks are robust enough, and wear very well unless you are in harsh condition etc. I have never used one of these cases and never will as I believe that they are more trouble than they are worth...

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Is that the clear case? I have a black case, and it has worked fine for the past... 3 months or so.

I think it might just be a problem with the clear one.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Is that the clear case? I have a black case, and it has worked fine for the past... 3 months or so.

I think it might just be a problem with the clear one.
Its both. If you read my first post I've had two cases crack. One was black satin and the other was the clear. They cracked in the same place(s)

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
ive had this problem as well. Contact speck and they'll send a replacement out once they've received yours.if you complain enough, they may just send you one.

Be wary though. The replacement are "supposed" to be brand new sealed, however ive just got a replacement one sent to me (In the UK) and it marks all over it, the box was open as well. Pretty annoyed as it costs me £5 to send. They've asked me to send them pics so I'll see what they say.

I've had 2 x 11" cases replaced and they were both fine.

fotonutz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
I have the same Speck clear case as imahawki for my MBA 11" for the last 10 months and it still haven't cracked on me yet. In fact, I prefer it over the Incipio case.

A month back, I took out the clear case and left it on the cushion on my floor at night. The next morning when I woke up, I accidentally stepped on cushion and the clear case right smack in the centre. I could hear the crackling sound and to my horror, I saw the clear case being bent like a u-shaped...

Thinking that it is a goner, I was pleasantly surprised that it is still in perfect condition. No cracks, breakages....nothing.

It's still protecting my beloved MBA now.

However, I just bought another MBA for my little monster and I bought the Incipio feather for her as I love the thin outline. Sadly, it didn't last more than 1 hr. I broke both the top and bottom part while trying to take out the casing.....arrghhhh.....

I guess it all boils down to luck !!!

Imahawki,
The Incipio Feather is really opaque. Even though it is thin, the Apple Logo is not visible even if the MBA is set to the brightest settings. My red colored Feather is also a fingerprint magnet. Saw the review of the black Feather. Looks really cool.

Xultar,
Is there a trick to removing the Incipio Feather ? I'm so scared of breaking another part....

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I have the same Speck clear case as imahawki for my MBA 11" for the last 10 months and it still haven't cracked on me yet. In fact, I prefer it over the Incipio case.

A month back, I took out the clear case and left it on the cushion on my floor at night. The next morning when I woke up, I accidentally stepped on cushion and the clear case right smack in the centre. I could hear the crackling sound and to my horror, I saw the clear case being bent like a u-shaped...

Thinking that it is a goner, I was pleasantly surprised that it is still in perfect condition. No cracks, breakages....nothing.

It's still protecting my beloved MBA now.

However, I just bought another MBA for my little monster and I bought the Incipio feather for her as I love the thin outline. Sadly, it didn't last more than 1 hr. I broke both the top and bottom part while trying to take out the casing.....arrghhhh.....

I guess it all boils down to luck !!!

Imahawki,
The Incipio Feather is really opaque. Even though it is thin, the Apple Logo is not visible even if the MBA is set to the brightest settings. My red colored Feather is also a fingerprint magnet. Saw the review of the black Feather. Looks really cool.

Xultar,
Is there a trick to removing the Incipio Feather ? I'm so scared of breaking another part....

1st and only post?

I smell a Speck(*) rep.

fotonutz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Hahaha....Nope. I'm not a Speck rep.
Just another a casing fanatic :)

While I like the Speck case, I find it too thick and scratches easily.
Actually, I would prefer an Incipio Feather if they had a clear case like the Speck.

Also bought the Hard Candy with Red Faux NuBuck leather.....but find that it doesn't hug the MBA like the Feather.

IMG_9073.jpg

The Feather is really thin and hugs the MBA really well.
IMG_9060.jpg

Only problem is that I broke the top and bottom part within an hour of purchasing it !ARRGHHH
IMG_9083.jpg

As I like to switch from one casing to another depending on my mood, I find some difficulties removing the Incipio casing. Maybe I haven't mastered how to remove it yet.

RobY330i

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2011
My clear corners have broken off or cracked after 4 months of ownership. It's not worth the trouble to get it replaced when it will happen again.
Needless to say, I won't be buying Speck again.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
So, any other options out there? I've thought about a skin but the Speck would protect against dents as well where a skin won't.

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
When I have my Speck on my MBP it works perfect. Remember that I said when because I absolutely prefer the look without any shell on it, and I only put the shell on when I'm working somewhere vaguely dangerous... I keep it in a sleeve the rest of the time.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Why put an ugly cover on a fantastic laptop?! I worry about scratching my laptop (i did with my last one and i did with my current MBA within a month of buying before I got the screen replaced). I use the Zagg invisible shields as a result. If I haven't put one on an Apple product then I've ended up with a scratch! They're really good and invisible, the only downside is they're glossy so make the laptop shine. It's worth it though!

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
When I have my Speck on my MBP it works perfect.

Now that the all the tabs have broken off, the Speck is real easy to get on/off, but it falls off more than it stays on. I keep it only for protection in my backpack, otherwise it's useless.

BigSaintDogs

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Rhode Island, USA
No issues yet

I have the black Speck case for my MBP 17 and was happy with it so it was an easy choise to cover my MBA 13 with the same. I have had no issues as of yet with either. I tend to be hard on my products but try to baby my laptops. I travel allot with one or the other. The MBA is usually in a sleve as well during transit as it tends to move around in my work.

:apple: MacBook Pro 17
:apple: MacBook Air 13
:apple: iPhone 4S 64G
:apple: iPod Classic 160 GB
:apple: Time Capsule 2TB
Canon 7D

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
I was a long time Speck customer...dating back to my White Macbook and my first iPhone.

After my awful experience with the Speck clear shell for my MBA, I will NEVER purchase from Speck again.

Their products have gone downhill steadily in quality.

NEVER EVER AGAIN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.