Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
DePersistWifi - New in Cydia.

Claim:

"Automatically turns WIFI / Push Notifications off when your device goes to sleep, turns them back on when you unlock your device. Reboot or Respring required on install. Options are in the app labeled 'PersistWifi'."

Cost:

Free

...Has anybody tried this yet?

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
this looks good, something id definitely use. would love some feedback as well. hopefully someone here has used it or will be willing to try it out :cool:

WelshBluebird

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
UK
I thought iOS already did turn off WiFi when the phone goes to sleep?
As for push notifications, surely turning them off when the phone goes to sleep partly defeats the point of them?

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
@Welsh:

I think that, when the phone is locked, the wifi radio is technically "on" and searching for available networks. I could be wrong about that. Anyway, whatever it *does*, this tweak turns it completely off.

As for the notifications, I agree. The good thing is this is something you can separately toggle on and off.

I've downloaded this and it seems to do what it claims. Time will tell if helps battery life.

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
After some digging and testing, I think I've figured out that the iOS, at least since 4.1, doesn't have persistent wi-fi. So, this tweak, in effect, does nothing for an iPhone 4 on 4.1 (my setup) or newer firmware as the wi-fi radio turns off when the screen is locked anyway.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
After some digging and testing, I think I've figured out that the iOS, at least since 4.1, doesn't have persistent wi-fi. So, this tweak, in effect, does nothing for an iPhone 4 on 4.1 (my setup) or newer firmware as the wi-fi radio turns off when the screen is locked anyway.

I thought this as well.

jpetticrew

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
Texas
If this is anything like Auto3G, there will be a considerable lag in the time it takes for the WiFi to come back on.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
The way Apple does it is rather smart. If you have an app that uses the Wifi radio, the radio stays on if the app is running or is runnng in the background, otherwise the OS turns it off.

tricky29

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Works for me so I'm happy with it.

My iPod touch 4th gen on iOS 4.1 stays connected when it goes to sleep. My 2nd gen iTouch on iOS 4.2 however does not. So I still need it for my 4th gen iTouch, but hurray for me if they removed persistent wifi, that means I no longer have to update the tweak.

rodmr

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2011
On my iPhone 4 iOS 4.33 wifi works like this:

- If wifi is on and plugged on USB charging it will remain on all the time even when goes to sleep

- If wifi is on and running on the battery it will go off when goes to sleep

- If you are using wifi (like downloading an app from appstore) it will not go off even when on battery and sleeping.

When you finish using wifi and it is locked will then go off .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.