Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummwill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
recently purchased a early 2011 MBP got the AMD Radeon HD 6750M on

also recently purcahsed Battlefield 3
and when i try to run it it says that my graphics driver is out of date
but when i try to install the update from the AMD drivers support site it says that i do not have the right graphics adaptor

any suggestions?

MoonshineSG

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
I believe you should only use drives from Apple. If they don't release new ones (via "Software Update...") you should use the "old" ones....

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Go to Mac OS X
Open Boot Camp Utility
Download latest driver *DO NOT UNINSTALL WINDOWS*
The Boot Camp suite should download
Open in Windows; should be version 4.x
Install drivers, play BF3

Tscherno

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
I'm asking because I tried to install the final drivers on the weekend (just the normal ones from the website) and they did not install. Said it's unsupported. But i did not clean it before, does this really make a difference or do i need some special download link? Background: Want to play Battlefield 3 ^^

rollercoaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
I would also like to know if we can install v11.10 after driver cleaner or any other method..?

While searching I found Mobility Modder.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

It doesnt work anymore but I understand that it modifies some inf/config files to allow the unsupported vendor ID..

any ideas how to install the latest drivers and get cracking at BF3 and COD MW3 :confused:

Pretty please :eek:

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
You don't need to use any driver sweeper or stuff to install ATI preview drivers. The 10.10 preview has an issue with video playback though (videos stay black/wont start playback in different players). 10.8 runs fine, but are not optimized for BF3.

Hopefully there will be some usable .11 or later preview.

You can also try to manually edit the INF file of release/official ATI drivers to include the Apple hardware ID.

rollercoaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for the info on the beta drivers installability.

You can also try to manually edit the INF file of release/official ATI drivers to include the Apple hardware ID.

Do you know where I can find some info about what parts to edit? I can find the Vendor/Hardware ID but dont know what files to edit nor which part of the said files

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Know it by heart for the NVidia drivers, but not ATI. I did it once on an ATI based iMac, but cannot remember. So I would have to search myself first, sorry.

SpazzyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Denmark
just use the link I provided and stop asking questions :p
it just works that way, downloading it from the AMD website the 11.10 drivers are only 87mb and the one from Guru3D is 95mb :D and the one from guru3d worked for me, then I suppose it will work for others with MBP 2011 ;)

rollercoaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
just use the link I provided and stop asking questions :p
it just works that way, downloading it from the AMD website the 11.10 drivers are only 87mb and the one from Guru3D is 95mb :D and the one from guru3d worked for me, then I suppose it will work for others with MBP 2011 ;)

Are you sure though?

I ask because the reference ATI drivers setup runs fine but doesn't update the drivers. it updates the CCC, utilities, SDK etc. The drivers stay the same. It doesn't even make the screen flicker or ask for a restart.

And as you say the drivers from Guru3D are a bit different on the inside, have they been modified to allow install on OEM laptops(our macbooks) too or simply using low strength compression..

btw, Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.