Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Most of the features in Lion are good, except Launchpad.

Launchpad is fantastic. I use it all the time to launch applications not in the dock. Beats opening up the finder and scrolling through a tiny list.

Also, those who say they hope Apple will reverse the 'iPadification' in their next OS are really disconnected with reality, and havent been paying attention. If anything, it will clearly increase. The endgame is the merging of both iOS and OSX. Anyone who can't see why that would be Apple's goal in the big picture.. wwll, there's nothing to say. I'm not even sure what people here WANT in a desktop OS, and neither do they. Innovation on the desktop will now stem from innovations in the mobile space, which will spred to both. People say they're disappointed with Lion, yet don't offer a single feature they would have liked to see. Lion is the best desktop OS Apple has ever made. I could never go back to SL. What the hell are 'SL roots anyway'? Some of you are utterly clueless.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I wholeheartedly agree, I hope that they go back to their Snow Leopard roots for this next version of OS X.

Snow Leopard roots? You make it seem like SL was the golden standard of yore :D.. I would rather see them do improve memory usage in Lion as a point upgrade instead of leaving it broken as is. I didn't want to think it at first, but Lion may very well be Apple's Vista. Features are okay and what not, but performance has really gone down.

Burstl

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I think they should switch to bird names like Mac OS 10.8 Eagle and so on.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
Launchpad is fantastic. I use it all the time to launch applications not in the dock. Beats opening up the finder and scrolling through a tiny list.

Also, those who say they hope Apple will reverse the 'iPadification' in their next OS are really disconnected with reality, and havent been paying attention. If anything, it will clearly increase. The endgame is the merging of both iOS and OSX. Anyone who can't see why that would be Apple's goal in the big picture.. wwll, there's nothing to say. I'm not even sure what people here WANT in a desktop OS, and neither do they. Innovation on the desktop will now stem from innovations in the mobile space, which will spred to both. People say they're disappointed with Lion, yet don't offer a single feature they would have liked to see. Lion is the best desktop OS Apple has ever made. I could never go back to SL. What the hell are 'SL roots anyway'? Some of you are utterly clueless.

I agree that Lion is very good, certainly thebest so far. I don't like launchpad because it's infinitessimaly less complicated to press cmd+space and type the three letters of your app (even 1 or 2 sometimes). Also, i don't like that it has a fixed number of rows and columns, it looks rediculous on a 30'' i use.

Another thing missing is the ability to use two monitors, and switch between desktops on them independently. So no extend, clone and so on, but just being able to chose desktop 1 on first, and desktop 7 on the other. And then switch to 3 and 5 respectively.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010

Why don't you use Spotlight to launch apps not in the dock? Is it actually easier to use launchpad for this?

That said, I can't wait to get my [own] mac so I can be running Lion. Love versions. That is worth $130 any day. (yeah, I know it is only $30 in the Mac Store to upgrade.)

Doh!

Last edited:

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Lion is superior to Snow Leopard in almost every regard, but performance. SL did perform better, but I´m confident Apple will fix this. For example, Safari is still slowing the system down.

Last edited:

WVUAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2006
OS X 10.8 Falcon

With the introduction of iCloud, and the way the OS is moving towards the cloud it would be no surprise if the OS started using birds of prey, i.e. Falcon, Hawk, Eagle, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, etc etc.

I could also see them just losing the animal thing all together. It was probably a nice run through with the cats that started in 2000 and they wanted to close the door with it.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Agreed. They'll be working on the next version before the new one hits the (virtual) shelves.

two things...

1. no one has been using 10.8 for general MacRumors browsing before August, and even then it was minimally. So there has been increased distribution of 10.8 over the past few weeks to more Apple employees.

2. I don't believe Apple quite works like you are saying. While I'm sure there are research teams that are working on concepts all the time. The core development teams seem small and seem to work on various projects. I remember hearing OS X progress delayed specifically because of work done on iOS due to the sharing of teams.

From my understanding, Apple doesn't have massively parallel teams doing all this. There likely isn't a 10.8 team and a 10.9 team and a 10.7 team. There's the Mac OS X team that shifts gears as they go.

arn

Esuark

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Dang, this has been a busy weekend for macrumors!

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
The problem witha 3D desktop, on a 2D display, and presumabley a 3D display as well, is that if two clickable surfaces are in front of one another, the other is inaccessible.

which could be solved if you could do a gesture to make it swing in and out like i just imagined while writing that. :)

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
Oh dear God. :eek:
if apple went with iOS for their desktops / laptops. That would be the day I switch to PC lol

EDIT:

Apple did go backwards on one thing and that was boot times. I classed their incredible boot time in SL as a feature but now that feature is lost. At least on HDDs

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
That's really cool how Apple employees are browsing MR. I guess they want to stay updated on all the latest rumors too! :)

DesertDrummer

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Why don't you use Spotlight to launch apps not in the dock? Is it actually easier to use launchpad for this?

I will confess, I originally thought the same thing. But it for me, I only run a handful of things again and again, and putting them in LaunchPad makes it even more painless to start what I want. I have my applications now grouped into logical "pages" based on frequency and type of use, and it really has made the experience better.

Also, and for me this is a big one, my kids (down to age 5) have NO problem using LaunchPad to launch games or anything else, whereas there's no way they would have been using Spotlight to do it.

I promise, I was as skeptical of this feature as they come, but I am now sold.

:apple: wins again!

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

10.8 OMG Cat

Dragonforce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2008
Germany
They should use Dinosaur names :p

10.8 Triceratops (with enhanced security)
10.9 Velociraptor (with enhanced speed)
11.0 Tyrannosaurus Rex (will dominate everything)

CRT

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Hope it'll bring with it an option to reverse the whole Mission Control thing, personally I much preferred the combination of Spaces and Exposé, having an option really shouldn't be too much to ask for IMO. But then again :rolleyes:

I do like launchpad but agree there should be an option to disable it, change icon size and etc. Wouldn't mind Blu ray support either but I guess that's a whole other bag of hurt right there :rolleyes:

I do like having multiple wallpapers though, and spotlight is a lot better now as well a few other things. I would like an option to enable "save as" again though. Basically what I'm hoping for in 10.8 is pros and options as apposed to pros and cons, I think it's safe to assume we have the hard drive space, but then again :rolleyes:

Last edited:

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just like microsoft windows 8, apple can (and probably will) merge osx with iOS. Launchpad= tablet mode, finder= computer mode. Can't wait. But hopefully the computer experience won't change (unlike windows 8...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.