Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Just got the iPhone 4s and hooked it up to my 2010 Prius V. When I call from the car, all is well. When I try to call using Siri on the phone, all is well until it goes to dial, and then it ends the call.

Anyone else seeing this? I can't remember if my old iPhone voice dialer did the same thing.

spyderx

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Siri dial and old iPhone voice dial work fine on 2008 bmw 5 series and 2007 mini cooper via bluetooth.

Must be a quirk with the Toyota system?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Yes. Lexus and Prius should have the same system. Seems like a bug. I'll have to turn Siri off and try the old voice dial. Might help narrow down where the bug is.

cookebraunstein

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Emailed Lexus service. I'll post if I hear anything back.

----------

BTW, it seems to me like when I'm talking to Siri, the car thinks I'm on a call. Then when Siri tries to connect the real call, the car "hangs up" on Siri, thereby disconnecting entirely.

Not tech savvy enough to understand the implication of that or a possible solve, but maybe someone else can.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
For those of you with newer toyotas can you access Siri and hear and interact with it using the buttons/bluetooth on the car without touching the phone? If yes how do you do that?

Thanks.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Same problem here on my Lexus IS 250C. The car thinks the phone is off the hook when you activate Siri. When you tell Siri to dial it disconnects the phone. :mad:

Not much you can do about it. An update from Lexus (toyota) will probably never happen.

TigerStephie

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I will have to check this out. I haven't set my phone up yet on the Bluetooth. But I have a 2010 Camry so I have a feeling I will have the same problem. I know voice control used to work because I used it a few times but I think you had to press the button on the phone.

I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that work great for siri. Used it the other day to make a call.

TigerStephie

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Okay. Definately does not work. The biggest reason I got the 4S was for Siri to use while driving so I could text. Siri gets really confused and does not work once it is connected to the car. I am going to try and contact Toyota but I'm sure I will get a similar response.

cookebraunstein

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Successful Workaround!

OK...I emailed today with a lexus dealer employee, who seemed to spend a lot of time on this and came up with the following workaround. I tried it and it worked for me on my 2010 HS250. It's not ideal, but it'll do for me for long drives/commutes.

"If you plug the phone into the usb port, siri stays on the phone and does not hook into the Bluetooth. From there I was able to hold the home button down, siri talks and listens through the speaker on the phone itself. When she completes the call the car will then pick it up through the Bluetooth."

brn2rnjk1

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Siri and Lexus and voice text

1. How do you use Siri with a Lexus system (new)
2. Can you send and listen to texts through the car speakers.

Thanks in advance.

rich1383

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Boston area
Siri and Prius Bluetooth problem

Same problem for me on my Prius-III 2010. iPhone 4 worked great. 4S using Siri hangs up as soon as it dials. ALSO: incoming calls do not open full nav system incoming Call screen, where you can tap the "pick up" button (answer). Map stays on screen and you just see a banner at the top announcing the call - no way to answer! If I try to slide the unlock switch on the phone to answer, it also disconnects. Very annoying - I have not yet successfully answered a call since I got my 4S, and outbound calls only work from the Speed Dial, or from the iPhone Address book.

mruser1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
I've got the same problem...

iPhone 4S. 2010 Prius V. I hold down the home button which activates Siri, I say, "Call Joe Smith, work" It repeats it, starts to dial, then disconnects witihin 1-2 seconds before the call ever goes through. I've tried it over and over again in different ways, but it always quits. If I turn off the car and disconnect bluetooth and use the phone only, it always works.

Very frustrating. I cannot voice dial in the car.

Hopefully a solution is in the works.

tim.rand

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Same Here

Hate to just chime in with a Me Too... but Me Too.

iPhone 4S. 2010 Prius V. I hold down the home button which activates Siri, I say, "Call Joe Smith, work" It repeats it, starts to dial, then disconnects witihin 1-2 seconds before the call ever goes through. I've tried it over and over again in different ways, but it always quits. If I turn off the car and disconnect bluetooth and use the phone only, it always works.

Very frustrating. I cannot voice dial in the car.

Hopefully a solution is in the works.

jetb2

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Same for me with my 2011 Prius and iPhone 5 (did the same with my 4s). Dialing....and disconnect. Bad handoff.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Really annoying bug!

Happens with my 2010 Toyota Prius, and it also happens from the Phone app's Voicemail screen as well... if you click on the "Call Back" button, the same problem happens.

I created a video of this bug in action, which you can download here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2473414/BluetoothBug.mov?dl=1

Hopefully somebody can alert the engineers at Apple about this... direct them to the video link above... and hopefully they will fix this problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.