Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I have group texting off, but few times today and yesterday, when I send an iMessage to a few people, it turns into group texting and my friends can see each others responses.

Never had this issues with older iOS.

Anyone else with this issue?

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You have to turn off mms. It's an issue of ios5

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You have to turn off mms. It's an issue of ios5

Thank you.
Will do.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
iphone 4S/iOS 5

Can someone clarify this further for me... I've dug through every manual and user guide apple has for iOS 5 to no avail.

In Settings > Messages.. what does 'MMS Messaging' and 'Group Messaging' on/off do? The user guide has no explanation.

One of my friends sent a mass text to 10 ppl and my phone showed every number he had sent it to. when I replied, it sent my reply to all 10 ppl. After turning 'Group Messaging' off, it still sent my text to all 10 ppl.... wth.

Thanks!

YoYoCome

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
Can someone clarify this further for me... I've dug through every manual and user guide apple has for iOS 5 to no avail.

In Settings > Messages.. what does 'MMS Messaging' and 'Group Messaging' on/off do? The user guide has no explanation.

One of my friends sent a mass text to 10 ppl and my phone showed every number he had sent it to. when I replied, it sent my reply to all 10 ppl. After turning 'Group Messaging' off, it still sent my text to all 10 ppl.... wth.

Thanks!

I don't even have the "Group Messaging" option in my Settings -> Messages.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice

Thanks!

Group Messaging (available in USA only) does what iMessage does but using regular texts: it's a 'chat-like' group messaging, all recipients see the other and replies go to everyone. The option existed also in iOS4. To work it needs MMS. It's limited to max 10 recipients.

The problem with iOS5 (that caused a lot of issues for the users of my group texting app, Group Text!), is that even turning off Group Message, iOS5 still does the same thing, unless you turn off MMS too.
Apple is working on the problem. In the mean time if you want to send regular texts to group of people you have to turn off MMS (and Group Messaging if the option is available).

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Group Messaging (available in USA only) does what iMessage does but using regular texts: it's a 'chat-like' group messaging, all recipients see the other and replies go to everyone. The option existed also in iOS4. To work it needs MMS. It's limited to max 10 recipients.

The problem with iOS5 (that caused a lot of issues for the users of my group texting app, Group Text!), is that even turning off Group Message, iOS5 still does the same thing, unless you turn off MMS too.
Apple is working on the problem. In the mean time if you want to send regular texts to group of people you have to turn off MMS (and Group Messaging if the option is available).

Is there a reference (number or article) to the issue being worked by apple to be able to track the fix. I have been having some very annoying issues with this which has lead me to this forum and thread.

Also does SMS allow picture mailing?

Last edited:

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
I just went to the Iphone 4s. Guessing this wasn't an issue in IOS4?

The problem I have is that I send picture mail to 4-8 people at a time. Half of the people don’t know each other and are getting responses from people they don’t know and its become a mess.

I could send multiple messages where people know each other but that would be a pain.

They need to fix this issue quick or this makes the iphone as good to me as it was when it first came out and didn’t have picture mail.

Last edited:

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Currently on the phone with Apple for the issue and its gettting escalated to a supervisor. Is this happening across all carriers or just ATT?

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas

Okay. well I received a text from a non-iphone user who sent his message to 4 other people. If I turn Group Messaging AND MMS Messaging OFF, and I reply back to him in the same thread, will my message only go to him or will it go to everyone in that group thread?

This is pretty confusing as to why they have an option that doesn't do what it says it will.

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Tried the same thing and SMS only fixes it, but u can't send pics SMS.

Know of 6 other people having the same issue. Surprised this hasn't blown up more than it has.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Is there a reference (number or article) to the issue being worked by apple to be able to track the fix. I have been having some very annoying issues with this which has lead me to this forum and thread.

My report is # 10279249. Not sure if this is something that "regular" users can see or if it's limited to developers.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
in Canada I have never had the option to "group text" I have never seen that option. I am on Rogers network.

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
I'm assuming this is an IOS issue and is not carrier dependant? Reason I asked the apple support person I spoke to yesterday thought this might be carrier related.

nashvegas08

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Just spoke to apple again and they said they don't have any complaints being logged for the issue. Dont see how that can be. Has anyone else logged a ticket for the issue other than me and vettori?

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Just spoke to apple again and they said they don't have any complaints being logged for the issue. Dont see how that can be. Has anyone else logged a ticket for the issue other than me and vettori?

There are a few hundreds users of my group text app that are experiencing the issue and looking at other app reviews it's happening to a lot of people.
I really hope Apple will fix this with the next update.

syberglitch

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Manchester, UK
iOS5 and Group test issue

I have the same problem as users of my Contacts Management application complains that using feature of sending text message to a group of contacts does not work when they upgraded to iOS5. But I haver to say that only people from USA complains about it so it looks to me that this Group Messaging option causes a lot of pain. I myself cannot reproduce this issue at all and sending text to a multiple people works just great and tried options iMessage enabled, Send As SMS enabled, MMS enabled. But as live in UK I do not have Groups Messaging so there has to be something around this option.

But it looks like some solutions were popping up on this thread like
- MMS disabled
- Group Messaging disabled.

So it is worth trying with users of our apps to try to disable those options and use the Group features and see if that helps.

Developer of ContactsTap Contacts Management for iPhone.

desktop22

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
I've got it! Turn off IMessage. This

worked for me. This way it won't group your text together. It only does it if other people are using IMessage anyway. This is a work around until Apple fixes it.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA

What does Group Text! do? I've been looking for an app that lets me send out mass texts messages to people (I used to coach two softball teams, had a dumb phone back then, sent out mass texts to groups of 10 people at a time, had to text about fifty people when things were cancelled) since I just discovered my handy dandy iPhone doesn't have this built in.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
What does Group Text! do? I've been looking for an app that lets me send out mass texts messages to people (I used to coach two softball teams, had a dumb phone back then, sent out mass texts to groups of 10 people at a time, had to text about fifty people when things were cancelled) since I just discovered my handy dandy iPhone doesn't have this built in.

It does exactly what you need. In fact many users are coaches. You can use your groups or create distribution lists, text them, create and use templates if you send the same texts frequently, attach location or contacts information (in text format), schedule alerts that reminds you to send some text specifying the text and list of recipients so when the alert triggers you send the text with just two taps (useful for practice and other recurrent texts).
Take a look at the guide on http://www.redbits.com to see how it works and contact us at the support address if you need help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.