Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tim_cook_headshot-150x171.jpg

The Wall Street Journal takes a look at Tim Cook's first two months officially in the role of Apple CEO, noting some of the differences between his management style and that of Steve Jobs.
In recent weeks, Mr. Cook has tended to administrative matters that never interested Mr. Jobs, such as promotions and corporate reporting structures, according to people familiar with the matter. The new chief executive, 50 years old, has also been more communicative with employees than his predecessor, sending a variety of company-wide emails while addressing Apple employees as "Team," people close to the company said.
The report also points to Apple's new charitable matching program for employees as an example of Cook putting his stamp on the company.

Cook has reportedly also undertaken a significant revamp of Apple's education division, bringing it more in line with the operation of the rest of the company. The resulting reorganization, which puts additional responsibilities on executives Phil Schiller and John Brandon, has seen the education division split into marketing and sales divisions and then reintegrated with the company's broader arms focused on those aspects of the business.

The openness Cook has exhibited with employees and even customers may filter down further, as Cook seems to have moved rapidly to recognize existing expertise, such as with the promotion of Eddy Cue, and to encourage other executives to engage with customers. Cook has also suggested that he may be more open to other possibilities such as stock dividends or buybacks that have long been off the table for the company even as its cash and investments have soared.

Cook is widely regarded as a very strong operational leader, but some have questioned whether he has the product vision to guide the company as it moves forward without Jobs. Jobs reportedly worked hard to leave Apple with a pipeline of products for the next four years, but even so it appears that Cook is making sure to rely upon the expertise of other executives such as Jony Ive, Phil Schiller, Scott Forstall, and Eddy Cue to help forge Apple's path forward.

Article Link: Tim Cook Putting His Stamp on Apple

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
"Jony Ive"

All these articles make it seem as if Cook has a lack of confidence. I believe in you, Tim!

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
but even so it appears that Cook is making sure to rely upon the expertise of other executives

Is this what this portion is supposed to say? Lost me a bit while reading through.

Ugh - I can see all the silly comments as people become disgruntled with Apple products in the future calling this guy Tim Crook.

Not looking forward to the future "forum wars." :(

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Cook is affable with his twang. I wouldn't worry about the 'product vision'. Ive is still there.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
As long as Tim can have key people be the visionaries and give them that freedom to expand upon and develop, then Apple will be just fine.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
Sounds good. For all his vision and energy, Steve had a lot of character flaws. Nice to see that Tim is his own man, and is rectifying some issues he sees in Apple's structure.

Highcroft

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Illinois
I have faith in Cook as the CEO and I feel that Jony Ive is more than capable of helping Cook on his supposed lack of product vision.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
Apple is in good hands.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they do better than ever. Perhaps opening up more dialog between their development teams to think outside of the box more.

I also really like the charity contributions mentioned.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
He needs to bring Apple back on schedule.

iCloud music matching anyone?
Where is iOS 5.0.1?
And axe the iPad Music app group.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
In short:
Cook is the CEO who needs people like Ive and Forstall.
Jobs was the visionary who needed people like Cook.

Apple still is in gr8 hands.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
He needs to bring Apple back on schedule.

iCloud music matching anyone?
Where is iOS 5.0.1?
And axe the iPad Music app group.

Relax, just because iTunes match is late doesn't mean Apple is falling apart. 5.0.1 will come in due time.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I really like what Tim Cook brings to the table. I think the one thing I am not sure we are seeing at Apple yet is the borderline maniacal guy who says no until the product is perfect. It seems from a recent Bloomberg Businessweek profile that Forstall is that kind of guy, but he only heads iOS, so Apple needs someone at the top who does this for all products.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
I hope one of them read:

Team,

Cancel all plans to cancel the Mac Pro. In fact let's kick Intel's ass and push them to hurry up with Xeon updates, so we don't completely **** all over the professionals that have been using our products and supported us for decades.

Thanks,

Tim

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
This worries me - it's not so much the changes that are being made, but that they're being made by the guy at the top. Even as Jobs may have gotten involved with choosing the sprinkler alignment or color of the carpeting, his mind was primarily on the essence of Apple, his side projects seemed inline with that vision. And, while it's great that Tim isn't standing in as a Steve Jobs proxy (that'd be even worse) these bureaucratic and business matters might shift Tim's focus from keeping Apple Apple, unless that role now is now being filled by someone like Jony Ive.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Jobs was the visionary.
Ives simply designed the visions (beautifully of course).

I am guessing that Ive and Jobs had many conversations about the direction of Apple and future products for several iterations/years.

Even without Jobs, I am sure Ive can handle it.

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
It's obvious Jony Ive is the new 'product guy', since Jobs gave him the ability to do what ever he wants, i.e., no one can put an end to his work, not even Tim Cook.

Worksafe

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
Apple back on schedule

I'd rather have Apple off schedule than have a product that is full of bugs like Microsoft usually delivers to their clients.

Steve Job's would have done it this way so I can see Tim Cook doing it this way as well as the rest of the teams at Apple.

They sell a superior product. Lets keep it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.