Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

Is that interchangeable connector design that apple uses patented? I can imagine it would be and I guess that would stop them from implementing it, unfortunately.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.

Good idea, however the plugs seem a little close... How about this? (excuse my terrible cutting & pasting)

Attachments

• 999.jpg
    999.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 687

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Neat idea, but I can't use it, I always use the long cord that comes with the power brick. It doesn't look like it supports it, bummer.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Good idea, however the plugs seem a little close... How about this? (excuse my terrible cutting & pasting)

Yeah, but who wants to cut a bigger hole in their wall and change the gang box to accommodate this larger design?

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
Nice design but I think they missed a trick here (being from the UK)... Why didn't they have the same interchangeable connector on the end of the PlugBug, so it worked fully internationally? Pull the UK plug off the end, attach the PlugBug and then attach the UK plug from the Apple charger onto the PlugBug... That would've been awesome.

As it is, I can only use the PlugBug if I'm travelling in the US... I love how they make this a 'feature'... :D

What he said.

Also two USB ports would mean I could charge my iPad, iPhone and MacBook air.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Or plug their iPad wall charger into that other socket right there above.

Except that it won't plug in there, because of the shape. If they were side-by-side, maybe, but one above the other won't work.

Which brings me to my pet peeve: manufacturers who make their power adapters too big to fit side-by-side in wall sockets or on a powerboard. Some of them seem to do it with vicious intent, adding "wings" to the sides of their plugs, to cause as much inconvenience as possible.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Look, the bandwagon cometh

I get the 10 watt aspect, which you can't get from a standard usb port. I get that you may not want to eat up a usb port on your laptop. I get the ugly red color. I damn sure won't get a $35 usb charger. I also don't sit in front of a wall outlet with my equipment. Unless I'm at a hippie retreat where they don't have chairs and desks.

Last edited:

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

I havent checked the specs for all laptops but I do know that the most recient MBP will charde the ipad quickly but that is a new development. The core duo and older would be a slow charge.

Even with having the newest MBP I still think this is pretty cool and would consider getting one.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I've always wondered why there aren't more accessories that take advantage of apple's interchangeable plug system.

I don't see much use for this one, but i would love one with surge protection.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
What you're missing are: (1) you lose one USB port, (2) charging your iPad via your notebook's USB is *dead* slow, and (3) this device works as a standalone charger as well, so your $35 is worth it.

But I'm going to plug it in and hit sync. And now my (whatever) item I'm charging is on the desk and not on the floor.

I will agree that it'll probably be faster, but I still think it's odd. And it is a little pricey. USB chargers are cheap but just as small as this.

Plus, this prevents me from using the longer charging cord on my device. And I can't take the charger for one device and leave the other behind.

And how does this fit all MacBook Air and MacBook Pro adaptors?!? It must not fit or hang off the edge or something.

Not really excited about this... Sorry.

Gary

Ooh but this one charges up faster than using USB :D But, yeah, nifty little device but that's about it. I guess if you're impatient or need to buy a new little trinket for your iPad/MacBook, I guess this might fill the void.
I guess some people didn't know that Apple's computers have 2x USB power than normal computers. They usually work at 1x USB power (so as not to fry stuff up), but when a device asks for more power (for example an iPad when charging) it gives up to 3x the normal power.

Normal USB 2.0: 0.5 Amps.
Modern (2007+) Apple USB 2.0: 1.1 Amps.
What an iPad asks for at peak performance while charging: 2.1 Amps.

That's why some motherboard makers are making these things specifically for Apple gadget owners:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2039021

Last edited:

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
neat ........................ now if only they had turned the blades to come out sideways and make the assembly flush with the wall .........

nutts

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
As other people have already mostly mentioned, I'd happily pay $35 (or even slightly more) for one that:

- has two USB ports for charging both my iPad and iPhone simultaneously
- uses the same Apple interchangeable plug at the wall end, so we can also use Apple's UK or EU plug connections for worldwide use
- contains some sort of anti-surge protection like the Belkin etc

Now that would be something!

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
Great idea to piggyback on top of Apple's products. However, if you are not afraid of 120VAC outlet wiring, a USB wall plug is cool space saver.

Cute but not portable.

----------

I'm in for one. It reduces the clutter in my travel bag. Sure, it's not necessary for home, but a nice space saver in my travel bag.

Considering that Apple got HyperMac to cease and desist with modifying the MagSafe charger, anyone who wants a PlugBug should buy while they're available.

----------

- uses the same Apple interchangeable plug at the wall end, so we can also use Apple's UK or EU plug connections for worldwide use

Not so easy - it seems this PlugBug is a replacement for the plug at the end of a MagSafe adaptor. If the PlugBug had interchangeable plugs, then it might not be sturdy enough (a plug on a plug on a charger...). Unfortunately, it seems the only way to use this PlugBug in other countries - for now - is to use a travel adaptor with a US socket and your desired plug.

Last edited:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Thank you for your 'smart advice'...

FYI, charging an iPad over a laptop's USB port is very slow as it only provides up to 500mA.
An iPad needs at least double of that for you to be able to charge it while using it.

Conclusion: You don't have an iPad, don't you? :D

Conclusion: You don't proofread much, DO you?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Or...you can still be portable and 1/3 the price of this "BugPlug" with one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-S...YMVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320172209&sr=8-2

31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg

Just for the record, this is HUGE since it's a surge suppressor too. But I love mine. I take it on trips (lots of brownouts in Costa Rica), but I don't keep it in my normal laptop bag.

And it's only $11.60 and qualifies for free super saver shipping. Get 3 for $34.80 :)

And it gives me 2 additional outlets (the MacBook would take one) plus $25,000 of insurance on your products too. And the outlet swivels 360-ish degrees (270?).

But I just went to find mine (to give you the output amperage) and can't find it, so it's clearly not that huge. Someone's on-line review says "5V / 500mA at each port"...

Gary

Last edited:

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I just forwarded this to others at my company. I'm not a fan of the bright color, but having a USB port right there on the charger would be nice.

My co-worker is taking up two outlets for his MacBook Pro & iPad, and I use multiple outlets at home for my MacBook(s) and tablets. This would immediately help us both.

Am I the only one that uses a surge protector? One strip has what, like 6 outlets on it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Don't the wall outlets provide more power than the regular USB ports on laptops? Not sure if that's true. If it is, your iDevice would charge faster on the wall outlet than the port in your laptop.

Nope. Unless you got an iPad and an old mac, but new Mac charges iPad at wall charger speed.
iPhone + iPod touch charges fine on most computers.

What you're missing are: (1) you lose one USB port, (2) charging your iPad via your notebook's USB is *dead* slow, and (3) this device works as a standalone charger as well, so your $35 is worth it.

2. NOPE. All current Apple computers charge iPad at fast rates.

Nice...
I guess the new MacBook pro's also can provide the full 2,1A for iPad?
Does anyone knows?

YES. It provides full charge speed.

The box behind the plate is smaller than that. Your USB ports are too close to the edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.