Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
I have received a couple of emails recently that have photos attached. The photos have been in both .jpg and .bmp format.

I am using Gmail.

The email is received, the attachments are "loaded" but the pics won't open. I receive the error message pop up of "Mail cannot open this attachment."

Can anyone help? How do I open and view these attachments?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I have received a couple of emails recently that have photos attached. The photos have been in both .jpg and .bmp format.

I am using Gmail.

The email is received, the attachments are "loaded" but the pics won't open. I receive the error message pop up of "Mail cannot open this attachment."

Can anyone help? How do I open and view these attachments?

If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the message, do you see a note stating that the message was downloaded in plain text? Is there a box that you can tap on to download the rest of the message? They should open no problem once loaded. Not sure why it's not working for you.

EDIT: Can you post a screenshot of the message with the attachments loaded? Just curious to see what you're seeing.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the message, do you see a note stating that the message was downloaded in plain text? Is there a box that you can tap on to download the rest of the message? They should open no problem once loaded. Not sure why it's not working for you.

EDIT: Can you post a screenshot of the message with the attachments loaded? Just curious to see what you're seeing.

The emails I receive only contain the pic attachment, so, the contents of the email is small enough that the full message has been loaded.

When first opening the email, the attachment itself originally appears within a rectangular box, with a downward pointing arrow icon. When I tap this box, the pic loads and the arrow icon disappears. When done loading, the attachment looks like it is available. When I click on the box again, the error message pops up.

I'll have to post a screen shot later today.

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Here is the screen shot of the error message.

ErrorSample.jpg

FrankieDplus3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Never mind. Turns out the picture was in a zip file.

I got it.

But, now, how do I transfer jpg to my phone (without having to email the pic to my inbox)?

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Never mind. Turns out the picture was in a zip file.

I got it.

But, now, how do I transfer jpg to my phone (without having to email the pic to my inbox)?

Use Dropbox service or Sync through iTunes... unfortunately iTunes does not have a "manage manually" functionality for photos like it does for audio and video files to simply drag and drop pictures in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.