Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chocamine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I just bought a Dual XGPS150 for my iPod touch hoping it would make a decent GPS out of the device but it turns out that without an internet connection you can't search for new destinations or make any adjustments and theres a lot of issues with the maps. I have only tried Waze and MotionXGPS and so far they're both completely useless without an internet connection.

Are there any apps out there that can allow you to search with a GPS connection (but not an internet connection) that are half decent?

BTW, Navigon is currently out of my price range unless someone can convince me to otherwise lol.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I've found MotionX GPS app to be very full featured. You can use it offline if you download the map for your area.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I just bought a Dual XGPS150 for my iPod touch hoping it would make a decent GPS out of the device but it turns out that without an internet connection you can't search for new destinations or make any adjustments and theres a lot of issues with the maps. I have only tried Waze and MotionXGPS and so far they're both completely useless without an internet connection.

Are there any apps out there that can allow you to search with a GPS connection (but not an internet connection) that are half decent?

BTW, Navigon is currently out of my price range unless someone can convince me to otherwise lol.

tomtom does not require internet, the maps are built in

you can usually tell by the size and price of the app, if its only a few bucks than no way does it have built in maps, and if its less than a few hundred MB than again it probably doesnt have built in maps

Chocamine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I'm going to France for a couple of months which is why I need the GPS.. The Navigon for France is 90$. Ouch...
Its also possible to purchase regional maps from Navigon which are less expensive than purchasing national maps.

Seriously - just buy a map! I don't mean to be impertinent, but I've driven in many countries over the world, such as the UK (my home), the USA, Botswana Namibia, Zambia, South Africa and New Zealand (where I currently live) and never, ever, not once needed a GPS/SatNav.

I'm not saying I haven't got lost but to be honest, getting lost is half the fun (and point) of getting there. GPSs discourage you from using your brain to solve the problem of getting from A to B - what are you going to learn if you don't get lost once in a while? Besides, from what I've heard from friends they are dumb machines (sending you down one way streets, dead ends, canals, train tracks, prohibition from operating while in motion etc).

I had to drive through Jo'Burg (one of the most dangerous cities in the world) to pick up a friend from the airport, all I had was a rudimentary map, logic and a general sense of direction and I got there with no problems.

So don't waste your money on a GPS - buy a cheap map and put your brain to work!

Chocamine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Thanks, I appreciate the honest reply. The thing is, I have a *really* bad sense of spatial awareness and I will only need the GPS if I get completely lost and not rely on it for everything. I know it's fun not knowing where you are sometimes but it can also be extremely frustrating especially if you need to get somewhere on time.

Seriously - just buy a map! I don't mean to be impertinent, but I've driven in many countries over the world, such as the UK (my home), the USA, Botswana Namibia, Zambia, South Africa and New Zealand (where I currently live) and never, ever, not once needed a GPS/SatNav.

I'm not saying I haven't got lost but to be honest, getting lost is half the fun (and point) of getting there. GPSs discourage you from using your brain to solve the problem of getting from A to B - what are you going to learn if you don't get lost once in a while? Besides, from what I've heard from friends they are dumb machines (sending you down one way streets, dead ends, canals, train tracks, prohibition from operating while in motion etc).

I had to drive through Jo'Burg (one of the most dangerous cities in the world) to pick up a friend from the airport, all I had was a rudimentary map, logic and a general sense of direction and I got there with no problems.

So don't waste your money on a GPS - buy a cheap map and put your brain to work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.