Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason black

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
'both'? The topic is the weather widget. Singular.

Provide a reason for your advice.

If you keep pulling down the notification bar, the weather app will keep using location services and thereby , use your battery...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Why remove it ?

I check mine on a morning and find the weather app ok and as its unobtrusive can see no reason to remove it from notifications.
Notifications windows are viewed numerous times throughout the day so if it pings Stocks/Weather every time you pull down notifications then thats utilizing GPS which leads to more battery drain. And even without GPS then its using bandwidth that slows things down if using 3G.

Obviously anyone can do what they want, but I live on the West Coast and weather is fairly constant so I only check weather once a day. I dumped Weather (and stocks) and just ask Siri.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Notifications windows are viewed numerous times throughout the day so if it pings Stocks/Weather every time you pull down notifications then thats utilizing GPS which leads to more battery drain. And even without GPS then its using bandwidth that slows things down if using 3G.

Obviously anyone can do what they want, but I live on the West Coast and weather is fairly constant so I only check weather once a day. I dumped Weather (and stocks) and just ask Siri.

Living in Dublin means having the 4 seasons in one day isn't uncommon. In which case, the weather app is useless. I do have it but frequently it shows sunny weather when it's not and cloudy when it's raining. And I don't have it use my location so that means it'll only use 3G to check and not GPS

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
it only uses location services when its pulled down. I would think the amount of battey used is very minimal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.