Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AirSupply

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for your clarification. I would try to remove the case and observe the signal one more time before I make any decision. I really love the case though

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Hey guys figured I would chime in.

I've posted on this a few time's already.
If you search you should find a lot of info on this.

That being said.
I purchased 3 Cases 2 hybrid and one aluminum and tested with 2 different iPhone 4s's both on ATT

Keep in mind your carrier will effect the signal outcome due to them using different frequency.

Jax - Where did you get that bar graph?

From what I read and could see -80 is a perfect full bar
and -110 is no bar searching

I have also had a thread going asking for people to post there dbs with specific carriers was hopping for more in put but barley got maybe 10 replies

Also let me point out e13cton as awesome customer support much better then any of the other case's around.

Ok back to my testing.
Unfortunately my testing did not result in good findings and thus returned all my cases. This case is really hit or miss with carrier and location.

For my testing I would lay my phone down for 5min and let the signal stabilize.
My normal signal sat at -83
I placed the hybrid case on and placed it back in the same position and waited 5min again for it to stabilize this produced a signal of -107
I then took case off let stabilize for 5min went back to -83
I put the full aluminum case up let sit for 5min and resulted in -110
I then did the exact same thing with my wife phone with exact same results.

Like i said customer support is great returned with out a prob and was always able to get someone over the phone as well. I would suggest if you like it give it a try. This case if very subjective I have no idea why but even there support says the same thing.

I did end up getting a vapor comp was skeptical since the e13cton did poorly for me I was at the point of giving up on aluminum cases but to my surprise I got no signal loss at all. I can't really understand why all I can think of is the type of aluminum used but that just speculation.

I would love to give e13cton another shot I hope they come out with a new product to fix the issue.

imac2much

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
I just received my s4 hybrid and I too am surprisingly getting significant db loss. I don't have great reception in my apartment, so without any case I generally get around -93 db. After a minute or so of putting the hybrid case on, my signal drops to -102 db and sometimes as low as -109 db. I'm surprised that very few others are having this issue, so I'm wondering if I just have a faulty case...

Really stinks since I think this is the best looking bumper case out there, and I don't think I want to shell out $130 for what I think is the 2nd best looking case (element vapor spectra, that's hybrid right?).

I'm on AT&T.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Weird! I've read a lot of reviews online where people said the aluminum case barely decreased the signal and the hybrid case didn't change it at all. My experience was the hybrid case not affecting it at all but I'm in a pretty high signal area to start with and now I'm too lazy to take the screws out and test it again in a lower signal area.

Are you using the little plastic insert that goes between the aluminum part of the case and the side of your phone? That is supposed to be the reason the aluminum does not affect the signal strength.

imac2much

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Yep, I tried disassembling and reassembling the case several times, being careful to note the position of the liner, but the signal decreases by 10+ db each time in my apartment.

I'm going to try to bring it to an area with better reception to see if that affects its signal drop at all. Are others who claim minimal signal loss on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint? I wonder if that makes a difference?

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Yep, I tried disassembling and reassembling the case several times, being careful to note the position of the liner, but the signal decreases by 10+ db each time in my apartment.

I'm going to try to bring it to an area with better reception to see if that affects its signal drop at all. Are others who claim minimal signal loss on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint? I wonder if that makes a difference?

I'm on AT&T in a low signal area.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Some further questions;

1. The hybrid case actually consists of an acetal back and a regular aluminum front(like the regular case)? So the only thing that's different between the hybrid case and the regular case is the acetal back.

2. What is the feel of the acetal back? Is it like plastic feel, or what? Are there any disadvantages to the acetal back? I read that it provides better reception, if that's the case then why doesn't everyone use it?

3. How easy does the aluminum top(or back) scratch? Are there any differences between the polished and the matte in terms of scratchings? Smudges/fingerprints?

imac2much

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
I'm still experiencing signal loss at my work location, where I generally have decent coverage (at least better than my apartment).

Naked, I get around -85db, but sometimes as low as -77db. With case it's consistently at -92db. Not as much of a signal drop, so I can live with this. I just wish I didn't get such low signal in my apartment.

Tanax, I'll try to answer your questions, though I've only had this case for a day now :)

1. Yes, I believe this is correct; the only difference between S4 and S4 Hybrid is the acetal back.
2. I really do like the feel of the acetal back. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic, it's more solid and substantial in my opinion. I think some people just prefer full aluminum instead of having half & half.
3. I can't really answer this since I haven't tried to damage the case yet :) I don't see a single fingerprint on the matte aluminum front though.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
I ordered over a week ago and have gotten no update on shipping or anything else. I emailed them 2 days ago and have still not gotten a response...

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm still experiencing signal loss at my work location, where I generally have decent coverage (at least better than my apartment).

Naked, I get around -85db, but sometimes as low as -77db. With case it's consistently at -92db. Not as much of a signal drop, so I can live with this. I just wish I didn't get such low signal in my apartment.

Tanax, I'll try to answer your questions, though I've only had this case for a day now :)

1. Yes, I believe this is correct; the only difference between S4 and S4 Hybrid is the acetal back.
2. I really do like the feel of the acetal back. It doesn't feel like cheap plastic, it's more solid and substantial in my opinion. I think some people just prefer full aluminum instead of having half & half.
3. I can't really answer this since I haven't tried to damage the case yet :) I don't see a single fingerprint on the matte aluminum front though.

Cool! Thanks for the replies you could provide :)

Does anyone know a nice stylish(but still professional-looking) back-plate for the glass on the back of the iPhone(apart from Trunket wood)?

Last edited:

c1phers

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
The case itself is solid. However they claim a -5 to -7 drop in signal, but its more like -10 to -14. That is very disappointing. Its 1 bar which in more situations isn't the end of the world, but certain places with log signal might post an issue. I think I'll wait a couple days and decide if I'm sending it back. That's IF I can get a hold of them.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
The case itself is solid. However they claim a -5 to -7 drop in signal, but its more like -10 to -14. That is very disappointing. Its 1 bar which in more situations isn't the end of the world, but certain places with log signal might post an issue. I think I'll wait a couple days and decide if I'm sending it back. That's IF I can get a hold of them.

Are you talking about the standard or hybrid version?

imac2much

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
My experience with the signal loss is with the S4 Hybrid, which most people has minimal to no signal loss.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
for those curious, my knock-off version of the case showed up as in New York this morning, so it should be here soon :)

AirSupply

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Due to no response from e13ctron, I am thinking about selling my case to anyone need it :cool:. It is an all red polished aluminum one with both black and silver screws included. PM me if you are interested in

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
I bought my case but I haven't had any answer or shipping information. I tried calling them and their mail box was full. If no answer by tomorrow I'm gonna file a claim on PayPal and get my money back tomorrow.

victri

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
NC
This is my polished red hybrid, with Power Support front and rear screen protectors, and some random cute earphone jack plug.

IMG_2085.jpg

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Hi. Where did you order it from?

aliexpress.. They just released a version that will fit the 4S so only a few sellers have it over there, but the person I was in contact with sold me a version early.

I believe the screws go in on the back side so they're aren't screw heads on the front :)

ga1d3n

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Received my hybrid yesterday, polished chrome and white acetal for my white iphone 4s, with a SGP Ultra crystal.

1.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Got my Chinese version of this case in.. It's a pretty good quality case overall, but I feel like the fit is not right.

I'll make a legit review with pictures and stuff later today

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.