Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desileoheart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I've upgraded my 3GS to iOS5 .. It's not being detected by my car bluetooth anymore and my car is not getting displayed on the iPhone either ... anybody having similar issues with bluetooth connectivity?

Javier25

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
iOS 5 BT issue

I've a similar problem
My company allows me to use personal hotspot freely but, after iOS 5, I can't pair my iPhone with my iPad! iPad shows iPhone but iPhone only searches with no result

johnabo

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
me too

me too.

last iOS worked great with my new Kia Forte. Now, nothing! It really sucks.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
Same here. My 2010 Mazda 3 used to connect to my iPhone perfectly prior to iOS 5. Once paired, it would recognize my iPhone instantly - I was even able to use the steering wheel controls for volume and track selection.

Now, after doing a clean (restore as new) upgrade to iOS 5, my car doesn't even pop up as an available device. Actually, it does every now and then (when trying over and over to pair), but when I try to pair it, there is an instant error message saying that it cannot complete pairing.

So, my main source of music and hands free phone are dead in my car until further notice. If Apple doesn't issue a fix soon, I'll have to revert back to 4.3 as these are two functions I cannot do without.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm not having any problem with Bluetooth - connects rapidly and stays connected.

truestorys

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Bluetooth not working with IOS 5

I have a new Iphone 4S. It can not detect ANY Bluetooth devices. I went to the Apple store in Austin Texas for help. In the store my 4S found NO Bluetooth devices when Bluetooth was turned on. My Ipad 2 running IOS4 found over 20 devices. I went to the demo 4S phones in the store and turned on BLuetooth. Those 2 phones found NO bluetooth devices. The sales man's phone was a plain 4 upgraded to IOS 5 it found NO bluetooth devices.
It looks like IOS 5 has a bluetooth problem.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I use the Bluetooth with a Bluetooth headphone adapter and it works fine. In fact I don't know if it's iOS 5 or the new 4.0 Bluetooth profile on the 4S but I now actually get the podcast or song title on the adapter's LED display which I didn't before with the iPhone 4 using 4.x.x.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
I have a 4s. It connects correctly with my Ford Sync system in a 2010 F150. I see no difference from my former 3Gs running iOS 4.3. I have not tried linking to my iPad2 as a hotspot. I think I would use WiFi in that case not BT.

Obviously I did have to connect the new phone with the F150 system and delete the old phone. You must select the new ios5 phone as the primary phone if you want it to auto connect.

truestorys

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Update on no Bluetooth - does work now

I found this problem to be my Head set was not in "Pairing" mode.
Once that was established it connected to my 4s phone just fine.
A tech buddy also explaned that the IPAD that see's all the Bluetooth devices is not a phone and Apple treats both very differnt. What a IPHONE can see with Bluetooth is different that an IPAD.
-----

I have a new Iphone 4S. It can not detect ANY Bluetooth devices. I went to the Apple store in Austin Texas for help. In the store my 4S found NO Bluetooth devices when Bluetooth was turned on. My Ipad 2 running IOS4 found over 20 devices. I went to the demo 4S phones in the store and turned on BLuetooth. Those 2 phones found NO bluetooth devices. The sales man's phone was a plain 4 upgraded to IOS 5 it found NO bluetooth devices.
It looks like IOS 5 has a bluetooth problem.

balfatale

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
I found this problem to be my Head set was not in "Pairing" mode.
Once that was established it connected to my 4s phone just fine.
A tech buddy also explaned that the IPAD that see's all the Bluetooth devices is not a phone and Apple treats both very differnt. What a IPHONE can see with Bluetooth is different that an IPAD.
-----

I have a 3GS iphone and a iphone bluetooth headset. After iOS 5 I could not pair my headset manually.

I went on apple support and it said:

"Pairing with iPhone
Connect the iPhone Dual Dock or iPhone Bluetooth Travel Cable to a USB 2.0 port on your computer (not on the keyboard).
Connect iPhone and the headset to the dock or cable. The headset pairs with iPhone automatically."

"Exceptions
Airplane mode: iPhone will not auto-pair while it is in Airplane mode.
Current active Bluetooth connection: iPhone will not auto-pair if currently connected to a Bluetooth device. In order to auto-pair with the iPhone Bluetooth Headset. The connected device must be disconnected from iPhone by turning off the connected device or unpairing with the device using the iPhone Bluetooth application."

So I tried it. At first nothing, it did not pair automatically. And airplane mode was off. However, the iPhone bluetooth was listed under bluetooth as not connected. Once I deleted it (even though it was not paired) then the phone re-searched for it, found it and paired it.

Crazy.

Last edited:

ultimateinmate

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
ios5 on new 3GS & 4 won't discover any devices

Hi I can't get either phone to recognize ANY Bluetooth device at all. My Macbook running Snow Leopard can see the phones but won't browse of course, but neither phone can see the other one or anything for that mater, airplane mode off & both in discoverable moe & both show bluetooth addresses in Settings>About, Apple support told me to download an App for bluetooth exchange but thats useless if the phones won't discover other devices. Any ideas or similar experiences? :confused:

kipper5

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
IOS 5 Bluetooth problem

My 3GS no longer remembers the BT pairing with my E280 Mercedes as it used to prior to upgrading to IOS 5. Whilst I can pair, I have to do it every time I get in the car, rather than it doing it automatically.

Judging by other posts, Apple need to sort out an IOS 5 bug.

4x03656

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Same Problem ... and yet no solution ...

Wow ... it looks like misery loves company. I have the exact same issue ... I have an iPhone 4, updated to ios5 and lost my bluetooth connection to my car. I took my iPhone 4 to the Apple store today and the guy tried it and it paired instantly to another iPhone. They concluded that the problem was with the car.

I'd be curious to see the solution posted to this thread. I'm guessing, after having read through all of the posts, the solution has not been discovered.

4x03656

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Update ... A solution that worked for me

In reading the other posts, I tried this and it worked for me.

I deleted the devices my iPhone used to be connected to and then paired the car to the phone without a problem.

Go to settings, general, Bluetooth. You will see the devices you used to be connected to. Select one the no-longer-connected device and the select forget this device. The try to pair your phone again.

Hope this helps.

acmcculloch

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Bluetooth profiles lost on reboot

Also having problems with bluetooth on my 3GS newly upgraded to iOS5. Every time I turn then phone off and on again it forgets any paired devices - have had to repair it with my car several times now.

Leaving my phone switched on until the bug gets fixed.

GreatOldOne

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2005
Herding Nerfs
I don't think Bluetooth was fully baked on release - I've had issues with the volume dropping to zero when my iPhone 4 connects to my car stereo via A2DP:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1263662/

I've left feedback with apple, but in the meantime, if anyone else is having a problem I found this workround.

Unlocking the phone and using the volume slider doesn't seem to register any change in voulme once the phone has connected.

But if you click the hardware volume buttons - just once will do - and suddenly your music can be heard at normal levels. And this is the sort of thing you can do even if your phone is in your pocket, and you're driving.

Any devs out there know if this issue has been fixed in the forthcoming .01 release?

Cheers

GOO

kaiser75

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Bluetooth connectivity...

I have an iPhone 3Gs and had upgraded to iOS5 and have also lost BT connectivity. I have a Nissan Xterra '09 with factory bluetooth hands free which had been paired to my original iPhone, and my 3Gs for years with no problems. After reading some posts I decided to try to delete my paired phones on my truck and to re-pair the phone from scratch. It seems to have worked so far, I have tried it twice since the re-pairing and it picked up the phone right away. Don't know how long this will last, but I will update if it starts acting up again. Hope this helps some of you out there!!:apple:

blue5ft3

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
No mine is better than it was did you pair it?

I'm sure that's no help but I have better connectivity all around and the phone is faster. I love it.
Then yesterday my family gifted me with the Iphone4S Siri will help me I am disabled since my early 30s on oxygen and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis which hits mostly women from 18 to 50 and it damages your whole system, so when I am in trouble now I can push one button and say test or call 911, or whomever. It's a blessing and my bluetooth and Wifi connections are better than ever. Oh and the Airport Utility seemed to help also, I did love my 3gs but I can't complain about a new gift, and it rocks!

You will see typos from me I am sorry for that the RA makes typing difficult but it bothers me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.