Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will69

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software? :confused:

Serious question.

Can you not conceive of how a general problem may only affect small numbers of people? Serious question.

Say for example that a software bug resident on all units is affected by being exactly on a GPS latitude of 30° north. Would that not affect only a small percentage of users?

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I can't help but wonder if we would have just gotten the silent treatment from Steve in the same situation...
We did get the silent treatment. As far as I can tell, this followed the Apple MO. Say nothing about the issue—do not acknowledge the issue—until you can come forward and speak definitively about the issue. Since this is a pretty big deal (battery life is important and word associated with such a thing impacts sales) we probably heard about it sooner. I'm not sure I'd attribute this to differences between Tim and Steve.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
Unusual for Apple to acknowledge a problem (remember the initial iPhone 4 "death grip" denials?) but it sounds like they may already have the solution on the way as part of the iOS5 update.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How about a fix for the bizarre Smart Playlist time bug? None of my families iOS5 devices are displaying Smart Playlists that use dates (date added, modified etc).

RaggieSoft

macrumors member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm one of those affected by batterygate and sure enough, changing the time setting fixed it

iPhone 4S

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple issued a statement to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple about customer complaints of poor battery life with the new iPhone 4S and iOS 5:
There have been a litany of complaints about iPhone 4S and iOS 5 battery life ever since their release last month. A number of solutions have been proposed by the community for this problem, including turning off Time Zone detection, Bluetooth and others.

Apple has already seeded developers with a 5.0.1 beta that is said to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iOS 5, Software Update Coming

As much as I'm looking forward to the improved battery life I'm also insanely pleased with the multitasking gestures coming back to iPad1 - I miss them.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Unfortunately devs are having a chore of a time installing the seed; it refuses to be activated, claiming the device isn't registered as part of the developer program despite the UDID being listed. This is regardless of device (iPad, 4S, etc).

le sigh.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Has to be a software issue. I had very good battery life on my 3GS until iOS 5 update. Oddly enough, my 4S battery life is better than my 3GS's was. I even set my 4S up from my 3GS's backup, so it fixed itself somewhere in the transition if it's a software bug.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software? :confused:

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.

Apple admitted that there was a bug in iOS 5 and that they will have a fix shortly, what more do you want. I see no PR conspiracy here. Not everyone who has a iPhone 4S posts here so we will never know how many users actually have noticed the issue with their battery life. And if you have read some of the posts here there are people posting that they have no issue with battery life on their phone. Users who post at Macrumors, Appleinsider, 9to5Mac, macdailynews, etc. represents a very small portion of the userbase who own iPhones running iOS 5. I suspect that those users who did have the issue, not all of them have contacted Apple to report the issue.

I, for one, am glad Apple is addressing this issue and will have a fix forth coming.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
<sarcasm>I wish HTC would fix the bug on my Diamond that makes my battery die fast all the time.

...I think the bug was called "windows mobile 6.5" or something... hmm..</sarcasm>

Seriously... coming from an OG Droid I've been thinking "battery issues? What battery issues?" :D

Color me impressed at the open admittance by Apple of the problem at hand and the specific steps being taken to fix it. Google --> Motorola --> Verizon would have dinked around for months and eventually released an OS update 6 months after the phone was released (and 5.5 months after the phone was outdated by the next newest Droid).

I tried a few of the tips on battery life and got more than two days of regular use (few calls, email checking, texting, a little gaming, etc). If they can improve on that I'd say 5.0.1 is a winner.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
As much as I'm looking forward to the improved battery life I'm also insanely pleased with the multitasking gestures coming back to iPad1 - I miss them.

I too miss the multi-touch gestures for my iPad 1. This is great.

Cruzer442

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Guess I'm lucky. I haven't noticed any difference between my 4S and 4. Battery life is fine and I use a lot of location services, pandora, real time quotes, push notifications, etc.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
i am glad my iPhone 4 battery only lasts a day and i think i have a bug with the wifi because if i watch youtube videos on my iPad it stops half way thew the video all the time but works fine on the iPhone :mad::mad::mad:

Why don't you want your battery to last more than a day?

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
Seriously... coming from an OG Droid I've been thinking "battery issues? What battery issues?" :D

Color me impressed at the open admittance by Apple of the problem at hand and the specific steps being taken to fix it. Google --> Motorola --> Verizon would have dinked around for months and eventually released an OS update 6 months after the phone was released (and 5.5 months after the phone was outdated by the next newest Droid).

I tried a few of the tips on battery life and got more than two days of regular use (few calls, email checking, texting, a little gaming, etc). If they can improve on that I'd say 5.0.1 is a winner.

I too get amazing battery life, but I haven't done anything to improve it. I have location services enabled for every app on my phone which uses it, and I still can go 2 days with out needing a charge. I mostly talk/text, take a lot of pictures, and send a lot of emails. I just don't keep all the apps I don't need running constantly. That seems to help the most.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I can't help but wonder if we would have just gotten the silent treatment from Steve in the same situation...

After reading Steve Jobs, I'd guess Steve would have split the iPhone team into 2, the "iPhone 4S" and the "iPhone 5" team, he'd be in charge of the iPhone 5 team, and he'd spend his days spoiling his team at restaurants and screaming at the 4S team that "They're ****!!" ;)

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Unusual for Apple to acknowledge a problem (remember the initial iPhone 4 "death grip" denials?) but it sounds like they may already have the solution on the way as part of the iOS5 update.

This is different, the problem is software related which can be fixed via an update. Hardware requires a new design, which no company would be willing to do for a new product.

I would say the only difference about the way Apple handled this was Steve Jobs did not reply to an email saying "Your charging it wrong" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.