Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
iTunes 10.5.1, I did the option+update method. Worked just fine :)

Yeah see I always do a DFU option+restore, and this choked (a method that has worked since my 3G).

Others on the forums are having mixed results with either method.

I think it's something to do on Apple's side, personally, and some folks are just getting lucky. If the install required 10.5.1 I'm sure Apple would've mentioned it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working out for ya! :D

gschumsky

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Diego (Jamul), Ca
Hope they fix the camera focus issue as well. I've been playing with the idea of shooting some short films with mine, but when the camera is constantly seeking focus (can't do locked focus when on a steadicam smoothee), it's not the optimal situation.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Any feedback from anyone yet?? I really hope this update works and it's just not a few 'fixes' that have been posted on websites with turn bluetooth off, turn X off, turn everything off malarky!

DUDE ITS BEEN LIKE AN HOUR. best results won't be seen until end of day tomorrow. patience people.

----------

Yeah see I always do a DFU option+restore, and this choked (a method that has worked since my 3G).

Others on the forums are having mixed results with either method.

I think it's something to do on Apple's side, personally, and some folks are just getting lucky. If the install required 10.5.1 I'm sure Apple would've mentioned it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working out for ya! :D

i hate restoring, its just a time consuming mo-fo. i hope from now on betas can be done with option+update, so much easier and hassle-free. Oh and np for the feedback! i'll post tomorrow night on how the battery is.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Oh my god my battery is at 20% instead of 25% at the end of the day! What am I going to do!

Really .... It's a non issue for me. I have never ran out of battery power on my iPhone 4 or 4s. I plug it in every night and life is good.

Nothing to see here. Move along, move along, move along.

Wow, really incredible.
It's all about you, nobody else matters.
"Move along, move along, move along."

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I took mine back today and got a new one.. It was a world of difference in battery life, guess some are bad others are ok

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Hope they fix the camera focus issue as well. I've been playing with the idea of shooting some short films with mine, but when the camera is constantly seeking focus (can't do locked focus when on a steadicam smoothee), it's not the optimal situation.

Apparent from your post, you know how to engage AE/AF lock. So let me ask you a question. Steadicam designed the Smoothee, Apple didn't. So how is it a "camera focus issue" of Apple's and not a design issue owned by Tiffen (the makers of Steadicam)?

I can see how Apple could accommodate the device, but they're not in the business of accommodating every conceivable device out there and making every device's shortcomings their own. So I wouldn't characterize this as "a camera focus issue" as if there's some material defect in the way Apple designed the feature.... That would be like me saying it's volvo's fault that my oddly shaped coffee cup won't fit in their cup holders.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
i hate restoring, its just a time consuming mo-fo. i hope from now on betas can be done with option+update, so much easier and hassle-free. Oh and np for the feedback! i'll post tomorrow night on how the battery is.

I agree it's slow; I only do it because I like a clean slate to mess with the beta for a day or two before I restore all of my crap to it.

Keeping along with the dev forums, seems folks are reporting much success with the option+update method. Perhaps this is becoming the "correct" means to install new IPSWs, and Apple just hasn't said so? :eek:

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011

Amen to that... The camera focus is in my experience the most aggravating iOS 5 bug. The camera focusing was great in iOS 4.The new focus/exposure lock feature helps somewhat, but only if you plan your shots well. It does not work well for spontaneous shooting.

Dizzy Slip

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Battery issues with iPhone 4S only?

So does someone know why the battery issues are associated only with iPhone 4S and not others with iOS 5 installed? If it's software only, then shouldn't others notice battery issues too? I haven't noticed any on my iPhone 4.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
i don't think i'm having any battery issues with my 4s, although i'm used to my old 3gs.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yes IOS5

Was your iPhone 4 running iOS5? Because mine is and it loses battery like no other.

On both the 4 and the new 4S, one thing I noticed about the new phone is that although I used my original backup file to install everything, a couple of things that I had disabled on the 4 were enabled by default on the 4S.

Main culprit was Bluetooth, which chews battery power anyway.....It was disabled on my 4 but enabled on the new phone.

I've been through evrerything else, and it's definitely using more battery power than my 4 did.

As I posted above, it's too early to say just how much they differ, it will need a charge tomorrow, so I'll make a note of how long a single charge lasts.

The 4 used to ask to be charged when it reached 20% which always seemed a little early to me, so I used to let it go down to 10% before charging it up.

I guess if Apple are releasing an update then it's a known issue anyway, so we will wait and see. With the faster CPU, Siri etc. I doubt we will get the same amount of battery life anyway.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
This is more pro-active of Apple, in the past they have ignored issues and just updated software and it got fixed, but never confirmed fault... this is an interesting change of tact for them.

r3dsh1ft

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've noticed a little drain in my 4S, but I think it is primarily due to having the screen brightness at max because i was plagued with a yellow tint and am trying to fix it.

My iPad 2 on the other hand... Is horrible.
One time i let it fully charge overnight, didn't use it the next day until night time and was shocked to find my battery at 53%

I'm pretty sure the bug has something to do with notification center.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I took mine back today and got a new one.. It was a world of difference in battery life, guess some are bad others are ok

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So you want the ones that confirm your bias but not the ones that show no real issues at all. Oh the naked monkey and his fatalistic thinking we sure love to talk bad about those on top no matter who they be.

:rolleyes:

Same problem with macbook air wifi issues. So vocal by so few.

nonsense. if he has no battery issues, that's great. But stating "Nothing to see here. Move along, move along, move along." is just plain ridiculous.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
I've actually been pretty happy with my 4S battery life, but then again I didn't have an iPhone 4 to compare it to. For example I've been at work all day (about to leave), and I'm still at 51% battery life. I haven't really talked more than a few mins, but have sent about 20 emails, maybe 30 texts, and the thing buzzes every couple minutes from push Facebook notifications and other various notifications. I also have 2 Exchange accounts and the mobileme. I just care that I can make it a single full day as I charge it every night.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
My iPod Touch's battery life has decreased noticeably since updating to iOS 5. Nobody on this thread has mentioned iPods... are any other Touch owners experiencing this problem too?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software? :confused:

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.
No. it is Apple telling it how it is. The public blow it all out of proportion. Just like they did with the iPhone 4 antenna issue.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
So does someone know why the battery issues are associated only with iPhone 4S and not others with iOS 5 installed? If it's software only, then shouldn't others notice battery issues too? I haven't noticed any on my iPhone 4.

They aren't only on the 4S.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I am not sure how many days I am getting from my 4S. I would say quite a few. Because of server changes, I have yet to add my email addresses to my new iPhone. Do those of you who are having the problem get lots of email?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.