Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Circleof05ths

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Hi,
I got an Iphone 4s last week and this is my first experience with an iPhone. I had something disturbing happen to my contacts. When I first got the phone I transferred all my contacts over using the Verizon Bacup assistant app. It worked fine. Everything has been on the iPhone since last Friday.

Suddenly this afternoon, I went to text someone and all my contacts were gone! Anyone else have this happen? Is there something I could have hit that would have removed them? I was able to just use the Verizon app again, but I'm kind of concerned that this happened to me.
I've never had to use anything other than Backup Assistant on a phone before. So, another question, which is a better way to backup, use iTunes or iCloud?

Thanks for any help!

Circleof05ths

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
You can't delete the app.

I don't want to delete the app, in fact without that app I would have been screwed. I'm not sure if I wasn't clear about that in my post. My problem is that all my contact info magically disappeared from my phone and I have no idea why.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Turning the iCloud sync on messed up my contacts, it deleted all recent contacts I've added since my last backup (itunes) and doubled many others and re-added the many contacts I removed on my phone (since last back-up on iTunes). It did the same to my husbands. I turned off the syncing of contacts to the iCloud.

Circleof05ths

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Turning the iCloud sync on messed up my contacts, it deleted all recent contacts I've added since my last backup (itunes) and doubled many others and re-added the many contacts I removed on my phone (since last back-up on iTunes). It did the same to my husbands. I turned off the syncing of contacts to the iCloud.

Ah, okay, that might have been my problem. I had turned it on. Although I hadn't connected to a computer, I did plug it in to a wall outlet to rechange. Since it was plugged in to a power source, locked, and had wifi access I guess it accessed iCloud and messed everything up.

Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.