Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abond2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
apple store bathroom
hey guys i have an htc thunderbolt and i am really sick of the phone. I am not much of android fan it comes to show. But i plan to buy a used iPhone 4 off of craigslist but how can i tell if the phone has a clean ESN? if not specified how can i protect myself? make a bill of sale get his/her signature? what can i do? thanks for all the help guys!:apple:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Tell him to meet you at a verizon store.
They will check it and will let you know if its clear and can be activated on your line.
Then you pay him and go on with your life and live happily ever after:)

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
meet the person at the verizon store
they will check it

note if he does not want to do it i would bet that the phone was stolen

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Tell him to meet you at a verizon store.
They will check it and will let you know if its clear and can be activated on your line.
Then you pay him and go on with your life and live happily ever after:)

^this

OR

What i did was i met the guy in a public place (grocery store parking lot) like normal and i had him sit there while i called verizon on my phone and read them the IMEI or MEID number (forget which). The CSR typed it in the computer and said "Yep, that's a working verizon phone" and then i said thanks and hung up.

that's how you can know for sure you won't get screwed. Well, i guess when i left he could have called verizon and reported it stolen before i got a chance to activate it. but that would just be a dick move and very unlikely. Either the phone is stolen and they are trying to get rid of it fast or it's legit and they will understand wanting to meet at a Verizon store or call it in when making a purchase of this size.

abond2014

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2011
apple store bathroom
^this

OR

What i did was i met the guy in a public place (grocery store parking lot) like normal and i had him sit there while i called verizon on my phone and read them the IMEI or MEID number (forget which). The CSR typed it in the computer and said "Yep, that's a working verizon phone" and then i said thanks and hung up.

that's how you can know for sure you won't get screwed. Well, i guess when i left he could have called verizon and reported it stolen before i got a chance to activate it. but that would just be a dick move and very unlikely. Either the phone is stolen and they are trying to get rid of it fast or it's legit and they will understand wanting to meet at a Verizon store or call it in when making a purchase of this size.

thats good too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.