Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
This just happened yesterday, but I noticed I have 2.1 GB of other being used on my iPhone 4. Is this due to iCloud? In the past I've never had this much.

Is there a way I can eliminate it without having to restore my iPhone? I googled but couldn't find anything to help me.

Thanks!

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Well, it could be a lot of things.

The most likely is App data. If you have a video App that let's you store videos inside of it, for example. Or a "offline" Wikipedia app that stores a local copy of thousands of Wikipedia articles.

For some reason I also think Podcasts are classified as "other" but I might be wrong about that one.

If you have iCloud backup setup, you can go to Settings > ICloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.

Tap on the device name to view the backups.

It will show you the amount of data each App on your device is taking up. You might have an App that is taking up a lot more data than you expected.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
It's probably because of jailbreak data.

Mine isn't a jailbreak iPhone.

----------

Well, it could be a lot of things.

The most likely is App data. If you have a video App that let's you store videos inside of it, for example. Or a "offline" Wikipedia app that stores a local copy of thousands of Wikipedia articles.

For some reason I also think Podcasts are classified as "other" but I might be wrong about that one.

If you have iCloud backup setup, you can go to Settings > ICloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage.

Tap on the device name to view the backups.

It will show you the amount of data each App on your device is taking up. You might have an App that is taking up a lot more data than you expected.

I just checked and none of them take up that much space. My iBooks takes about 8MB or so, but the majority of them are in the KB range.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I just checked and none of them take up that much space. My iBooks takes about 8MB or so, but the majority of them are in the KB range.

It wouldn't be the app itself, but the data related to the app. For example, if you have a video player app and have transferred videos into it, or if you have an office-type app and have a lot of documents stored.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
It wouldn't be the app itself, but the data related to the app. For example, if you have a video player app and have transferred videos into it, or if you have an office-type app and have a lot of documents stored.

I checked how much data they are storing and none of them come close to 2 gigs much less 20 mb

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
I've noticed this creeps up over time when deleting things on the phone, rather than having iTunes remove them. A restore will fix most of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.