Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
So I guess the reality is that both networks changed the name: it is listed on Mentorn's web site simply as How Steve Jobs Changed the World.

Well that would explain why PBS changed the name. Discovery Channel aired a documentary a couple weeks ago entitled iGenius: How Steve Jobs Changed the World, and in order to prevent confusion, changed the name. Did the same iGenius documentary air in the UK?

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
The UK version was very much an amateur show. It felt rushed and cut and edited by school kids. Rather sad if you ask me but that's Channel 4 for you …

"Welcome to Macintosh" is a far far better movie than this was and yes while it does not make any mention to Steve's passing, would have done him a much greater justice. But that's just my opinion.

Yep, completely agree. This was pretty poor. Very badly edited with no real sense of chronology. I think the general public watching this interested in finding out more abut Steve & Apple will have been left quite confused. It was quite tabloidish and they butchered a clip from his last D8 interview to make his pause for thought look like he was answering a question about his own health. It was an answer from a completely different question. Poor.

Oh, and that Eddie Izzard bit about 'has anyone read the iTunes agreement... they can take your kids...' suspiciously like the iHumancentipad episode of South Park. I can't believe he's stealing a joke from what will have been a widely watched episode of that show. Weak.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I caught the last half of it because I forgot that it was on last night. I agree that he did some amazing things in the computer field, and I'm glad that they touched on those points. Like How iTunes changed the music industry, and the iPod as well.

What I found interesting was the fact that they covered topics like who he was as a businessman, and not just the history of Apple computer. You get the feeling that he wasn't well liked by several people in this field because of his personality. That's something that has been well known for a long time and has been the topic of discussion and been portrayed in other films about him as well.

He definitely changed the computer field in his lifetime, and I'm sure he will be missed. It will be interesting to see how Apple does without him from here on out.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
There are those two excerpts out of an interview where Steve had a long beard ("Things around you are build by people as smart as you"), does anyone know anything specific about that interview and where I can watch it in full length?

Edit: Here are the blue box and "On failure" parts, and a pointer to the source (the documentary "Silicon Valley: A 100 year renaissance"). Turns out that siliconvalleyhistorical.org owns the rights to that interview.

Last edited:

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
The cheesy writing, interviews, and editing was painful to watch. The documentaries so far have been embarrassing and Steve would rightfully say "This is ****" to everyone of them. I can't believe they are selling this **** on blu-ray.

They should just replay "Triumph of the Nerds" in it's original uncut edit for now.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I enjoyed it a lot as well. As a one-hour documentary, there had to be some compromises, and there were times when some topics felt skimmed-over or just touched-upon, which is completely understandable. I especially enjoyed what Walt Mossberg had to say (the part where he talked about taking a walk to the park with Steve when he was weak and struggling was touching) as well as the glimpses into Steve's early days.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
I just finished the biography yesterday and watched this documentary today. Whilst I agree that in a 1 hour (47 minutes with commercials zapped and could have saved another 3 or 4 minutes without the stupid i-this and i-that graphics...) documentary needs to be superficial at times I found the parading of celebrities annoying and irrelevant, plus the telling of the story, even at a high-level was quite inaccurate at times.

Still worth watching for the 10 minutes of interesting content.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
PBS also has a 1990 interview with Steve Jobs on their website that can watch right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.