Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlbonano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2011
Am trying to upgrade my MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) memory from 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) to A 4gb memory.

What memory will work for me?
Will the Apple Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs work?

Is the above memory the same with this Apple Macbook Pro Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs.
Am using a macbook unibody aluminium and am wondering if i should buy the Apple Macbook Pro Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs i saw on ebay. Will it work or is there a specific one for macbooks and macbook pro?

pieterv

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
Belgium (Antwerp)
I've got the same MacBook, you need to make sure the memory sticks fit your motherboard, yours needs 204 pin memory modules. Make sure not to buy 200 pin modules by accident because the number wasn't mentioned on ebay like I did before ;).
Don't just blindly buy MacBook compatible RAM because you've got the one, single MacBook model with 204 pin memory, all the other MacBooks I've seen have 200pin memory and most other MacBook Pro's I've seen need 204pin memory. So it might even be safer to buy MBP compatible memory.

By the way, this week I put in 2x4GB sticks that run at 1333MHz while officially it only supports max 4GB at 1066MHz. The 8GB is a pretty well known fact, but also the faster RAM has not given me any issues yet in about a week of heavy use. I picked faster RAM so I could probably put it in a new MacBook Pro if I buy one in the near future. I bought these from ebay, they're not a bran Apple usually uses but they're compatible anyway, just make sure you buy something with compatible specs and you should be ok.

(I've got my laptop's firmware completely updated by Software Update, I'm running Lion. For the 8GB compatibility especially I've heard it's important to install a certain software update, so make sure you either know what you're doing or ust install every available update first.)

Last edited:

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Am trying to upgrade my MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) memory from 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) to A 4gb memory.

What memory will work for me?
Will the Apple Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs work?

Is the above memory the same with this Apple Macbook Pro Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs.
Am using a macbook unibody aluminium and am wondering if i should buy the Apple Macbook Pro Memory Module 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs i saw on ebay. Will it work or is there a specific one for macbooks and macbook pro?

here try this,

http://www.crucial.com/

use the scanning tool, it will direct you to what ram is suitable for your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.