Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
Hi,

I am having a problem with my DLink DIR-685 router which has an internal hard drive. It works flawlessly with my windows machine, however I am having no such luck with my Macbook Air running Lion.

So this hard drive inside the router is in EXT3 format which is probably causing the problem. However I can access it through a little app called muCommander, which is like an alternative to finder. But since I want to access the hard drive through finder so I can refer to the folders on the hard drive through applications, it has to be done through finder.

I have tried two apparent work arounds which have both failed. These are MacFUSE and Paragon ExFS.

So to help explain what I am doing I have attached some images:

Firstly I click on the hard drive in finder, under shared:
ScreenShot2011-11-03at193228.png

Then I proceed to the first folder:
ScreenShot2011-11-03at193218.png

The 'no entry' icons in the corner of the folders signify that I cannot access them and the following message pops up if I try to do so:
ScreenShot2011-11-03at193244.png

Is it even possible to access these files on my Mac. There are no permission restrictions assigned to the folders since I can access them no problem on my windows machine and I have set the storage access setting on the router to open which means anyone can access the files.

NoHomeDirectory

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Select the folder you do not have sufficient permissions for and hit command i

after that you will see a window pop up and towards the bottom you will see a sharing and permissions-click on that arrow and make sure your user account is set to read and write privileges. LMK if that doesn't resolve the issue and we can try some other things, best o luck:)

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK

after that you will see a window pop up and towards the bottom you will see a sharing and permissions-click on that arrow and make sure your user account is set to read and write privileges. LMK if that doesn't resolve the issue and we can try some other things, best o luck:)

Didn't work, here is what it says under get info:
ScreenShot2011-11-04at115301.png

1. update firmware on the device: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir685/Firmware/dir685_fw_200NA.zip

2. create a user inside the administration panel for your Mac and ensure you have r/w permissions (page61+ of your manual)

3. You may also need to use Mac Share Port: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/shareport/mac_shareport_utility_300.zip

This didn't work either. My firmware is up to date, I have read and write permissions and MacShare port is for USB devices connected through the router, not the hard drive itself.

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
The filesystem doesn't matter when you're accessing network storage (Windows doesn't have native support for EXT3 either). Because you're having the problem only with Finder and not mucommander from the same computer, I think you're running into this Finder bug:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100405023255445

If that's the case, the only way to fix it is to SSH into the router and edit the smb.conf file (I don't know if that's possible, incidentally). You can try to find and write to the file from Windows or through mucommander, but I doubt it's accessible that way.

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
The filesystem doesn't matter when you're accessing network storage (Windows doesn't have native support for EXT3 either). Because you're having the problem only with Finder and not mucommander from the same computer, I think you're running into this Finder bug:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20100405023255445

If that's the case, the only way to fix it is to SSH into the router and edit the smb.conf file (I don't know if that's possible, incidentally). You can try to find and write to the file from Windows or through mucommander, but I doubt it's accessible that way.

I can't see any files named smb.conf. I have no idea if it exists or if it is accessible if it does exist.

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I can't see any files named smb.conf. I have no idea if it exists or if it is accessible if it does exist.

I don't know either, sorry. Google searches aren't very fruitful. If you can't SSH into the router from the terminal (ssh admin-name@dir-685), I'm not sure what to do.

A workaround: This router apparently has ftp. So you can maybe try using Fuse to mount the storage device via FTP. (Previously I think you could do go-> connect to server-> ftp://path/to/storage in Finder, but that was dropped in Lion. Not positive, I have no FTP to test with here.)

Clodey

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Wales, UK
I don't know either, sorry. Google searches aren't very fruitful. If you can't SSH into the router from the terminal (ssh admin-name@dir-685), I'm not sure what to do.

A workaround: This router apparently has ftp. So you can maybe try using Fuse to mount the storage device via FTP. (Previously I think you could do go-> connect to server-> ftp://path/to/storage in Finder, but that was dropped in Lion. Not positive, I have no FTP to test with here.)

SOLUTION FOR THOSE WITH THE SAME ROUTER/PROBLEM!

Finally. I solved this by using the FTP feature. For anyone else reading this in the future, here is what I did:
Allow this user permission to the root of the storage device under FTP settings and enable FTP
Then go to https://www.dlinkddns.com/ and register.
Sign in and create a host. Copy the IP Address which shows into the 'new' IP address box and save.
Now to connect to this server go into finder and go to Go -> Connect to server..
Type in ftp://<host name here>.dlinkddns.com and log in with the user details you created on the router earlier.
Now this should allow you to view all folders and copy from.
To write to the hard drive you will need 3rd party software as explained here

I can finally allow a program to refer to a folder on the routers hard drive through FTP :D

gregmax

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
One more step to take .....

==============
Now in the bottom-right corner of that Information box, you will see a lock that is, um, locked. Click on it. It will ask for your administrative password. (I assume you're the administrator of your computer.) At that point the lock will un-lock, and you may change the privileges to "Read & Write".
Done!
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.