Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
no one deserves that kind of money.....

Uh.... you sound like one of those stupid "Occupy _____" protesters. Basically mad that rich people are rich and you are not. This is America. Anyone can work hard... either by getting highly educated, starting successful business or inventing a unique product that the world cannot live without.

The people in the top seats at Apple were not handed their jobs for the hell of it. They are there because they are the best at what they do. The proof is in Apple's success. Sure they earn their yearly salaries for their work. But they can quit at any time and take their talent elsewhere... something that Apple does not want. So these stock options are given to encourage them to stick with the company.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
After reading Jobs' biography, I don't think he would've allowed this if he were still around.

I believe the point is they wouldn't have felt like they would have had to if Jobs was still around. These are rentention bonuses. People have to stay to get them.

arn

timothy632

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
Uh.... you sound like one of those stupid "Occupy _____" protesters. Basically mad that rich people are rich and you are not. This is America. Anyone can work hard... either by getting highly educated, starting successful business or inventing a unique product that the world cannot live without.

The people in the top seats at Apple were not handed their jobs for the hell of it. They are there because they are the best at what they do. The proof is in Apple's success. Sure they earn their yearly salaries for their work. But they can quit at any time and take their talent elsewhere... something that Apple does not want. So these stock options are given to encourage them to stick with the company.

Well said. You are exactly right.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit

People who think that anyone can work hard and get rich are just as ridiculous as people who think only luck brings success. Don't be an extremist.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007

lol, calm down. America is great..... survival of the fittest.... :rolleyes:

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I believe the point is they wouldn't have felt like they would have had to if Jobs was still around. These are rentention bonuses. People have to stay to get them.

arn

I find it hard to believ that Jobs wasn't well aware that these bonuses were in the pipeline. I doubt they just occurred to Cook in the last few days.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Why didn't Ive get a stock reward? Very concerning to me as an AAPL owner and a huge fan.

Does this mean he could be on his way out?

Either that or he's negotiating (rightfully) for more shares. I'd say they should give him at least 500k if not the same number as Tim Cook.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I find it hard to believ that Jobs wasn't well aware that these bonuses were in the pipeline. I doubt they just occurred to Cook in the last few days.

Why not? Cook got a retention bonus too to stay for the next 10 years. These are very much things that would have happened after Jobs died. Now, did Jobs plan these bonusesfor his death? Maybe. But I'd suggest that these bonuses wouldn't have been given out this year if Jobs was still alive. They are in place to keep Apple stable and their leadership from leaving after such a major transition.

arn

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Yes lets give our rich executives bonuses butmgot forbid we pay a dividend to our shareholders

Tech companies don't pay dividends. This is almost a golden rule.

Buying tech stocks expecting dividends is not a good investment strategy. Some companies have, on occasion, paid out but that's a minority. The few cents per share or so is a nice little surprise but don't hold your breath waiting for one.

Other big movers like GOOG, YHOO, and AMZN publicly say that they won't pay out dividends and will retain all their earnings in the future.

johnbrks

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Go Women!

It's great to see a progressive company like apple with female executives being rewarded like this. Way to go!

Stovepiper

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011

No offense necessarily, but when I read this I pictured you listening to Rush with head phones on while reading Ayn Rand and polishing your shiny bootstraps. Probably waaaayyy off... or am I? ;)

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
It's great to see a progressive company like apple with female executives being rewarded like this. Way to go!

Apple is an equal opportunity employer, If there are no women up there in the high seats, there is a logical reason for it.

ad2435

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
I don't even want one share stock option to be honest.

I want to pay $10 for the $40 iPad cover that costs $1.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'm an AAPL shareholder, where's my bonus for staying with them when their financials were a "miss"? Oh wait, that's right... the miss was because of some boneheaded analysts. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.