Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
iPhone "My Contact" question

Previously, my wife and I used one MM for iPad and two iPhones and two Macs.

Since she received her 4S, that night I figured most of this article out on my own and setup this way:

That main MM account converted to iCloud. It's my AppStore ID and my iCloud ID for my iPhone. Macs stay with it as well. For her 4S, her newly created iCloud so she can sync her own notes and have her own account for backups, etc. Her new iCloud ID as her main, with Contacts and Calendar turned off. Our shared iCloud ID (my main one, remember) as secondary so we can share Contacts and Calendar.

Works find except for ONE thing. If you choose a My Contact and Siri ID, it doesn't stick. If she changes it on her 4S, then iCloud on all Macs and my iPhone also change to her. If I change it, all the other main MM devices change too.

So how does one share Contacts and Calendar without this issue?

My workaround I guess, will be to make a shared contact. Siri will be annoying though, as it'll address us by our "Husband & Wife" name instead of just saying one of our names.

Any ideas or thoughts?

This wasn't properly thought out at Apple, oh well. Since when does any Apple product work 100% anyhow?

=)

thanks for thoughts

Iwan M

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
The Hague, Holland
Confused/ bemused

Hi,

I have the following setup:

1 IMac shared by wife and myself
1 IPad shared by wife and myself
2 IPhones (one each)

We have one main apple ID which was used to purchase all Apps (it's a gmail account). My wife does have an Apple ID but we don't use it.

Initially I set up iCloud with a new iCloud e-mail address name.lastname@me.com ... I soon realized that if we are to share using ICloud I should have used familyname@me.com but found that I was unable to change the iCloud address after the fact :-( I then went on to create an alias for my wife under my iCloud address, also not a good choice and one that cannot be reverted either. In fact I deleted it and cannot use it all now :-(

We want to share address books, a common me.mail address, apps, reminders, bookmarks, notes and photo stream between all devices listed above. I don't want to share calendar as I use it for work and don't want work stuff on all my devices.

One thought I contemplated is to start a new Apple ID and setup fresh - but that would mean I lose all my purchased Apps - correct?

Who can help me make some sense of this so we can use it as intended?

Thanks - Iwan

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008

Since she received her 4S, that night I figured most of this article out on my own and setup this way:

That main MM account converted to iCloud. It's my AppStore ID and my iCloud ID for my iPhone. Macs stay with it as well. For her 4S, her newly created iCloud so she can sync her own notes and have her own account for backups, etc. Her new iCloud ID as her main, with Contacts and Calendar turned off. Our shared iCloud ID (my main one, remember) as secondary so we can share Contacts and Calendar.

Works find except for ONE thing. If you choose a My Contact and Siri ID, it doesn't stick. If she changes it on her 4S, then iCloud on all Macs and my iPhone also change to her. If I change it, all the other main MM devices change too.

My workaround I guess, will be to make a shared contact. Siri will be annoying though, as it'll address us by our "Husband & Wife" name instead of just saying one of our names.

Any ideas or thoughts?

This wasn't properly thought out at Apple, oh well. Since when does any Apple product work 100% anyhow?

=)

thanks for thoughts

See my post right before yours. No workaround I can find for now. Apple will need to think that one through some more - although when you think about it, it really is all or nothing. Share contacts or just use a primary address book. If you share contacts, no duplicates and you would have to refer to your mother as mom and your wife to her mom as something else. Given that you can also just use proper names, its not the biggest deal in the world.

----------

Hi,

I have the following setup:

1 IMac shared by wife and myself
1 IPad shared by wife and myself
2 IPhones (one each)

We have one main apple ID which was used to purchase all Apps (it's a gmail account). My wife does have an Apple ID but we don't use it.

Initially I set up iCloud with a new iCloud e-mail address name.lastname@me.com ... I soon realized that if we are to share using ICloud I should have used familyname@me.com but found that I was unable to change the iCloud address after the fact :-( I then went on to create an alias for my wife under my iCloud address, also not a good choice and one that cannot be reverted either. In fact I deleted it and cannot use it all now :-(

We want to share address books, a common me.mail address, apps, reminders, bookmarks, notes and photo stream between all devices listed above. I don't want to share calendar as I use it for work and don't want work stuff on all my devices.

One thought I contemplated is to start a new Apple ID and setup fresh - but that would mean I lose all my purchased Apps - correct?

Who can help me make some sense of this so we can use it as intended?

Thanks - Iwan

I suggest you reread my OP as this is hopefully clear. Net net is you can share your store ID which is not connected to your iCloud - even if you used the store ID for you iCloud. To share everything, delete current iCloud account, set up new one under family name, install on both devices. Then set up another iCloud for you, different ID, to have your own calendar (if its MM) - if its another provider like gmail or yahoo, you can just add it and add the calendar. Again, more detail in my OP.

Iwan M

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
The Hague, Holland
I suggest you reread my OP as this is hopefully clear. Net net is you can share your store ID which is not connected to your iCloud - even if you used the store ID for you iCloud. To share everything, delete current iCloud account, set up new one under family name, install on both devices. Then set up another iCloud for you, different ID, to have your own calendar (if its MM) - if its another provider like gmail or yahoo, you can just add it and add the calendar. Again, more detail in my OP.

Thanks - But I cannot delete my iCloud account, it keeps coming back each time I log in with the Apple ID, or am I overlooking something?

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Thanks - But I cannot delete my iCloud account, it keeps coming back each time I log in with the Apple ID, or am I overlooking something?

Yes. Don't log in with your iTAB (store) appleID, that is in your case just for the store. Delete iCloud. Then when you go to log in again, don't, create a new appleID - family@me.com. This is the new appleID you both want to log into with iCloud. Then just change your store ID in settings to your store appleID

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

Any ideas or thoughts?

=)

thanks for thoughts

Seems to me that there are too many negatives when sharing an icloud account. As icloud moves forward, more and more features will be integrated that are just not going to be meant for multiple users. Share an apple id, but get your own icloud (just my opinion of course).

Dont forget you can log on in icloud.com and share a calendar or reminder list with the wife (works great for us) even if you both have different accounts.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Nicknaming in shared contacts isn't a big deal, but the My Contact setting is bothersome.

Also, Siri takes this info as its own in error. Siri has her own setting, but ignores it if you set a My Contact. What's the point of the Siri setting then?

Question however. I saw just above, you can share reminders and calendars. How about sharing a contacts database? Even if the syncing has to be done on the Mac, what would you suggest?

Iwan M

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
The Hague, Holland
Yes. Don't log in with your iTAB (store) appleID, that is in your case just for the store. Delete iCloud. Then when you go to log in again, don't, create a new appleID - family@me.com. This is the new appleID you both want to log into with iCloud. Then just change your store ID in settings to your store appleID

This is something I have tried in multiple ways but just cannot get done :mad:

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Nicknaming in shared contacts isn't a big deal, but the My Contact setting is bothersome.

Also, Siri takes this info as its own in error. Siri has her own setting, but ignores it if you set a My Contact. What's the point of the Siri setting then?

Question however. I saw just above, you can share reminders and calendars. How about sharing a contacts database? Even if the syncing has to be done on the Mac, what would you suggest?

numerous emails give the option to sync contacts. maybe setup a family gmail or yahoo email and set the option under that email settings to sync? never tried it...

nairnet

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Has anyone else noticed, that for non-primary icloud accounts you only get sync "bookmarks" option on iOS but not on Lion?

e.g.

On iPhone 4S
icloud2 account can sync: Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmarks, Notes

On Mac Mini Lion 10.7.2
icloud2 account can sync: Mail & Notes, Calendar, Contacts

Bookmarks option is missing!

Any ideas?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Here's a another FAIL on iCloud.

Last evening I had to update my son and wife to iCloud from MM to get their backups working on iOS5, and get rid of the multi usernames and logins required for Backup to iCloud. Neither one of them is good with this, so I handle the devices.

Either way, they don't use Gallery, keychains/etc; so I said what the hell.

Well, guess what happened to our Shared Calendars I.E. our HIS HIGH SCHOOL CALENDAR, and our TRAVEL calendar on their phones & Mac's- GONE:mad:

As luck would have it, I backed them both up and restored them. Came in, ok, deletes again immediately.

So, I think alright; I have to re-share them from my iCal again (remember, I am on SL, and MM). So I re-share them both (as they are VITAL parts of our scheduling duh and timelines etc.) Well guess what...

Screen shot 2011-10-21 at 9.53.26 AM.png

I can't F'n move to iCloud. G** Dam**, I can't fricken believe I missed this land mine Apple. FML on this one , ya got me, my wife, and my son.

Time to find another solution for calendars I suppose because I am not and cannot move to SL on my MBA.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Here's a another FAIL on iCloud.

Last evening I had to update my son and wife to iCloud from MM to get their backups working on iOS5, and get rid of the multi usernames and logins required for Backup to iCloud. Neither one of them is good with this, so I handle the devices.

Either way, they don't use Gallery, keychains/etc; so I said what the hell.

Well, guess what happened to our Shared Calendars I.E. our HIS HIGH SCHOOL CALENDAR, and our TRAVEL calendar on their phones & Mac's- GONE:mad:

As luck would have it, I backed them both up and restored them. Came in, ok, deletes again immediately.

So, I think alright; I have to re-share them from my iCal again (remember, I am on SL, and MM). So I re-share them both (as they are VITAL parts of our scheduling duh and timelines etc.) Well guess what...

View attachment 308511

I can't F'n move to iCloud. G** Dam**, I can't fricken believe I missed this land mine Apple. FML on this one , ya got me, my wife, and my son.

Time to find another solution for calendars I suppose because I am not and cannot move to SL on my MBA.

I had a mobile me account and only used it for calender. I simply deleted the mobile me account on my ipad and clicked dont delete from device message (or whatever it said). I then set up a new icloud account and it all just appeared. I didnt try that mobile me porting over stuff.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I read the thread but I'm getting a little confused. I just need clarification if I'm thinking this through correctly.

Lets say I created familyname@whatever.com and bought all my items there (music, apps, etc).

Can I just create an apple ID for each family member for iCloud so each member can backup their stuff and then use familyname@whatever.com for purchases?

I have no intention of sharing calendars or contacts, etc... between each other.

I've set it up and it seems to work but I don't want to run into any complications later.

Example:
mom@me.com
dad@me.com
me@me.com

but we all use family@me.com for purchases.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
This detail burned me...didn't do my due diligence:
[NOTE: If you have or create an @me account, but decide to login to iCloud with a different AppleID, and then try and go and turn on Mail for that account, it will ask you to create an @me account. Why? Because to use Mail under iCloud you need an @me address yet you have signed into iCloud with some other handle (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc). This has consequences, in that Apple will then not let you use the @me account you previously created for use with Mail. You will need to add it as a separate, secondary iCloud account or create a brand new @me. ]
So, I had to create a new @me. id which is now my primary associated with the gmail addy. And my original @me. id is now a loose end. It's still a secondary ApplId, but why bother...it's essential useless. Would it have been so hard for Apple to clue me in to sign in with my existing @me. id, instead of my purchase id, before migrating to iCloud? Forgive me if this has already been covered...the minutia on this is trying and I'm getting glassy eyed with the reading.

So, I'm assuming this means I should have signed in with my existing MobileMe id before migrating to iCloud:
Why? Because to use Mail under iCloud you need an @me address yet you have signed into iCloud with some other handle (Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, etc).

I realize there are many many id scenarios, and sync'ing and dups gets tricky, but the predominate situation, the most common case story, has to be prime @me. id associated with Apple purchase id. Did they want an explosion of @me. id's?

BTW, obvious now why Music Match was set for a later date...ha!

Last edited:

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Conflict of 'My Card' and Siri base-contact

In another short thread in these forums, I found the lead that led to the solution for my wife and I.

So, my main account is everything - same AID for iTunes store and iCloud. We created another account for her.

In order for iCloud sync not to mess with the My Card and Siri contact default, we simply activated her Contacts syncing for her iCloud account and added ONE contact - her own.

So my main contact is in our shared iCloud (which is my main account, and her secondary account just so we can share the Calendars and Contacts). Her My Card and Siri ID points to that one single contact in her iCloud.

All battling over My Card and Siri's default ID is over.

Hope this helps someone..!

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
so, if you are the ugly step sister what do you do? :)

-PC & heavy Outlook 2007 users.
-dude@yahoo.com is the main Apple ID for purchases.
-I also used this to create my iCloud, which I am not sure was a good idea or not from reading thru the thread. Would you have created an @me email?
-It worked but with the loss of some Outlook functionality.

The wife is getting a 4s. We will use the @yahoo for purchases and get her a seperate iCloud account (I think). We want seperate contacts, but a SHARED calendar. One that can be updated by either of us with those pushed/synced to both our iPhones.

It is looking like this is possible to due via PC & Outlook. Im not sure. Much thanks.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
The philosophy of simplicity of Apple does not apply to iCloud.
First, iTools, then dot mac, then MobileMe, and finally iCloud. Hopefully iCloud is the final one that we need transfer to.
Apple has created so many hypes and hassles during these transitions.

For long time dot mac then MobileMe users, we can keep 5 aliases but the fact is that you can not do anything to it. You HAVE to delete 3 of them if you want to create a new one. Totally ********.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
The philosophy of simplicity of Apple does not apply to iCloud.
First, iTools, then dot mac, then MobileMe, and finally iCloud. Hopefully iCloud is the final one that we need transfer to.
Apple has created so many hypes and hassles during these transitions.

For long time dot mac then MobileMe users, we can keep 5 aliases but the fact is that you can not do anything to it. You HAVE to delete 3 of them if you want to create a new one. Totally ********.

dont' forget eWorld! We have moved from the EARTH to the CLOUDS

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
so, if you are the ugly step sister what do you do? :)

-PC & heavy Outlook 2007 users.
-dude@yahoo.com is the main Apple ID for purchases.
-I also used this to create my iCloud, which I am not sure was a good idea or not from reading thru the thread. Would you have created an @me email?
-It worked but with the loss of some Outlook functionality.

The wife is getting a 4s. We will use the @yahoo for purchases and get her a seperate iCloud account (I think). We want seperate contacts, but a SHARED calendar. One that can be updated by either of us with those pushed/synced to both our iPhones.

It is looking like this is possible to due via PC & Outlook. Im not sure. Much thanks.

For a shared calendar the best thing is to have separate iCloud accounts and then for her to add your yahoo account as another email account on her phone. Then just turn on your calendar and all else off. On her iCloud she can just turn calendar off. She could keep it on if she also wants to maintain a separate calendar but she just needs to make sure to adjust the chosen calendar when she is putting in events.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
what happens if you delete your iCloud account (PC & Outlook 2007)? will the data be dumped back into Outlook from iCloud as it is NOW or will the original .pst data files be restored as there were at cloud set up.

i think i need to start over. :)

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
im scared to do it. :)

i read if you sign out of the PC iCloud application it will prompt you to save your files back to Outlook.

if the iCloud data files in Outlook could be made the default then all would be good. Once solution for us PC users that allows the iPhone to be PC free.

anyway, i think i will sign out and go the Google Sync for Calendar & Outlook/iTunes sync for contacts route...

TimWilliam

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I suggest MobileMe.

----------

Can be done easily actually. Share iTAB account. Each have an iCloud that is distinct. Then on your own iCloud account, turn on mail and contacts and iCal and reminders. Then add your wifes iCloud account. Only turn on iCal and reminders. These now integrate into the one calendar and one reminder app. Your wife would do the same thing only with your iCloud account.

----------

I have the same situation...but I don't follow your instructions. I think I'm hearing you say that I need to set up both icloud accounts on one device, but there is no option for that on my ipad. Can you please break this down into steps? Many thanks.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
interesting. i wanted to start fresh, like i stated above, since i think i have a better understanding of iCloud (on the PC).

i deleted the iCloud account from 4s. this was one the associated with my Apple ID used for iTunes/Store purchases. i just wasnt comfortable using it for iCloud too.

i unchecked and signed out of the iCloud account on my PC using the control panel. i then uninstalled that control panel. i was hoping all this would put things back into Outlook as there were prior. it didnt, but i had backed up my contacts and calendar first.

created new iCloud account with a new @me.com email on the 4s. reinstalled the control panel, logged in, and set it up.

interesting thing is that original iCloud account can NOT be deleted. it can be removed from your phone, like i did, but it is still there at iCloud.com. so in the end, i think i wasted my time, but i sorta feel better about it..... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.