Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenjas1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I'm not sure what's happening here but email messages that I am getting on my iPhone via Yahoo (not push) are randomly (1-3 days after receipt) dissapearing. Nothing is in the trash bin and I know I did not delete them myself. Is there a setting I am missing either on my iPhone or in Yahoo Mail settings? I've tried creating a new folder to hold the messages I want to keep but the messages dissapear within a few days as well!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
i knew i wasn't the only one.
happened to me twice with yahoo mail.

I moved two emails into my school folder while on the phone and the next time I checked it was delete.

chenjas1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I wrote Yahoo regarding this issue as well. I'm surprised that you and I are the only two here who are having this issue. Annoying isn't it? Hopefully Yahoo will get back to me sometime soon. I'll post once they do.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Add me to the list!

I go the iPhone opening day, June 29th. This just happened to me today, for the first time. I have custom folders setup for various emails that I'd like to hold on to. One of my folders have about 15-20 emails in there and all but 1 got deleted somehow. I went into the folder on my iPhone saw the list there, but once it updated they all dissapeared!! I immediately went to the nearest pc at work with internet and checked it online, sure enough, they are all gone. Nothing in the spam or trash boxes. Emails didn't get moved into any other folders either.

I went into the help area and sent yahoo an email because I couldn't find any help with this problem.

Decided to come on here and see if I'm the only one this happened to, and it looks like I'm not.

This has never happened before, so my first reaction was that my iPhone deleted my emails without warning somehow! Bug?

TheBurger

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
Same for me, not with Yahoo!

I'm getting the same bug, only I'm not using Yahoo. I'm using a privately hosted email setup, I'm in contact with my admin, and we're fairly sure it's nothing on his setup causing the disappearances. Is it the *eek!* iPhone??

Anyone with insights?

-B

chenjas1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I'm not so convinced that it's the iPhone doing the deleting. I previously had a Cingular 3125 Windows Smartphone and occasionally it would do the same thing with my Yahoo emails. I'm still waiting on a response from Yahoo Support regarding this issue. In the meantime, I've created a new Gmail account and hoping it doesn't happen again.

marklon

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I have a Gmail account setup and on occasion i get "This message has not been downloaded from the server". Now this is what i get after the message has been downloaded and read on my iPhone. if i go back to view the message i get that error. Sometimes the original email is in my Gmail "all mail" folder and sometimes it is not. Once i get the above mentioned error message i cannot forward or reply to that particular email...

DanC

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
This is really frustrating!

I too am having the same problem with my iphone and Yahoo mail. I have a few folders that I have moved many messages into and on several occasions within the last week I go to those folders and all but one message have disappeared. When I log into Yahoo's webmail internet site from my PC I find the messages missing there as well. On two occasions I was watching the email folder refresh on the iphone and the contents of the folder would literally disappear as I watched the screen, each time leaving just one message remaining.

Fortunately I also download to Outlook on my PC, so I do have a permanent copy of all of my email messages there.

I spoke to Yahoo support on the phone today and they were next to useless! First they suggested I deleted the messages, then they logged into my account and spent 20 minutes confirming (as I had already reported) that several of my folders contained only one message. Finally they determined that a ticket would have to be submitted to the engineering department for further investigation. The guy I spoke to claimed I was the first and only person to report this problem!

Next I called Apple's iphone support number (800-694-7466). They were only marginally more helpful. They suggested I delete the mail account from my iphone and then recreate it, the theory being that there may have been a bad setting associated with the account setup on the iphone. Just for kicks they also suggested I reset the iphone inbetween deleting the account and re-establishing it. To reset your phone just hold the home button and the sleep/wake button down together for about 6-10 seconds until the iphone powers off and powers back on. This is equivalent to a cold boot. See page 110 of the online iphone Users Guide. This will not affect any of your settings or data on the iphone.

Now all I can do is wait and see if/when I lose more e-mail.

Please phone Yahoo and Apple about your problems as well. We need a real fix for this serious problem!

Has anyone else received any other guidance from Yahoo or Apple?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Goto
Settings > Mail > [account name] > advanced

see if the remove setting is set,

chenjas1

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
That's it! I'm done with Yahoo mail. Today, 3 messages from my inbox and 3 messages from my sent messages folder were mysteriously erased! I watched them dissapear from my list while my iPhone was checking for new messages. Those were important messages too. I've contacted Yahoo support several times and all they can say is to make sure I log off from my computer after checking my email or to change my password. I wish there was a way that Yahoo could tag a message and see where it went.

I created a new Gmail account about a week ago and sent myself several test messages that I kept in both the inbox and outbox and so far they have not been erased. Google, scratch another notch on your bedpost.

See ya, Yahoo!

DanC

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Yahoo called me back and told me that in order to find my missing mail and figure out what happened to it I would have to provide them a list of the missing messages, subject lines, and senders' e-mail addresses for each missing note.

How the &*%@ am I supposed to do that if the messages are MISSING!!!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Someone else on here was reporting in another thread that they couldn't access Yahoo Mail at all today from their iPhone. They were getting timeots from the server.

Related? The error messages in the other thread suggested that Yahoo has a specific server interface for Apple iPhones... maybe they noticed an issue and shut it down?

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I have had the same issue as well. I just lost all my fantasy football emails in my football folder in yahoo mail. What is the best way to contact yahoo suppor t by email. Does anyone have a link? Thanks

luckygirl7

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Solution, I hope

OK, I think I was having the same issue and found a solution. I use Yahoo mail, iPhone, and Outlook. I just got a new laptop and setup my new Outlook. I didn't want all 6,000+ Yahoo messages to show up in my Outlook so I transferred most of them to a separate folder in Yahoo prior to setting up Outlook. After doing all of this I noticed my emails were disappearing from my iPhone immediately after reading. I checked Yahoo and they were also diappearing from there. After searching Yahoo for a setting I might have missed, I decided perhaps it was a setting in Outlook since the messages weren't being deleted from there. I was right.

In Outlook, go to Tools | Options | Mail Setup | E-mail Accounts, double click on your email account. Click More Settings... | Advanced | check the box Leave a copy of messages on the server. I had this set up on my old laptop and just needed to check the box on my new one.

This cleared up my problem. I hope it works for you. I've tried Yahoo Support for problems in the past with no response other than a ticket number. Good luck to you all.

frost1300

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Straight Solution no BS

On your IPHONE:

Go to settings>
Choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Choose Yahoo!
Choose Account
Choose Advanced
Choose remove
Select Never

Here is the solution

Rgrds Frost

Woocake

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Hi frost1300

I have tried what you detail but their isn't this option on the iphone4 or in any other place as far as I can tell. Do you know how to solve on an iPhone 4?

The problem is driving me mad!

Thanks for any help you can give.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Freaky dates on this thread.

But suddenly I have such an issue, also. I have a Yahoo account for when I don't trust websites with my main address. But I did happen to have a couple receipts in this account I wanted to keep, so earlier this month I set up a folder for them and moved maybe 6 emails at most into the new folder. Went to look one up yesterday, and the whole folder is empty! What the hell are they doing? The email I need to see was from this month, not even old enough for any auto-deletion.

Oh, and that option is certainly there on my iPhone 4. But it shouldn't apply to my issue, it wasn't the Trash folder. Maybe your Yahoo account is set up as a generic?

evarnell

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
Mee Too

This is happening to me too. I am using Ipad2 and yahoo.co.uk. Mail in folders is getting deleted. It is all relatively recent (old stuff is kept!) and it is pretty important stuff too. All holiday bookings for example have gone - disappeared. no idea what they are doing but it means they are no longer a serious service provider. how could anyone use a company that loses your records and doesnt have any way of getting it back?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I've lost a number of archived emails going back to at least August of this year. Pretty much any emails I've moved to folders on my iPad since October simply vanish or become unreadable on the web site (gives read error). This doesn't happen if I use the mail.yahoo.com web site or another IMAP program such as Mozilla Thunderbird.

I've complained to Yahoo (as I'm a Mail Plus user) and they claim they're looking into it. They also keep referring me to this "hidden" support document claiming the emails were lost do to a hardware failure. The problem with that document is that it says the problem has been fixed, but the problem is still happening. Not only that, but the date on the document keeps changing. When I first reported the problem that document had a last updated date of October 20, 2011. Now it's December 1, 2011.

If the problem was fixed in October and again in December why is it still happening and only when moving emails on my iPad or iPhone?

In the mean time I've started archiving my mail on my PC by using IMAP to copy the emails locally. I've even managed to restore a few lost emails by copying them back to Yahoo using IMAP, but there's still a number that have been lost for good which really pisses me off considering how Yahoo still won't really even acknowledge the problem.

I've also complained to Apple who ignored me.

timothycbanks

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
I've also lost many archived e-mails when trying to browse folders on my iPhone. Double-check from a non-iPhone device & they're definitely gone - not in a trash or other folder.

It *seems* to happen when I don't wait for the folder to finish getting "synced" and the preview first shows up. I first noticed that I'd click on a mail only to get taken to a different one. Going back to the folder would show that the most recent messages were gone :-(.

I've updated my settings per frost1300's suggestions & will see how that works. But I've gotten burned so many times I may not open up any more folders on my phone. Kinda defeats the purpose of a mail application but I can't afford to lose any more history.

Lawls

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Yahoo deleted emails from 19th and 20th December 2011

Hi, I found this thread and forum via a Google search and thought was time I joined as I'm a Mac user. I'm here because Yahoo have deleted emails I received on 19th and 20th December. I use Mail 5.1 and OS is 10.7.2

It's not the first time Yahoo have deleted emails but in the past, Mail always kept a copy. Now since I upgraded to Lion, and new version of Mail that came with, the two are synched so what Yahoo deletes is also deleted locally.

I've complained to my ISP - which is BT and with which I have no problems. It's Yahoo that's the issue. I've complained to them too but I suspect these emails are gone. I will in future copy all emails locally to my imported folders which aren't duplicated on the server.

My issue is twofold: a) has anyone else experienced this recent problem for which no explanation seems to be apparent? and b) does anyone know how I can stop Mail synching with Yahoo on the server? With previous OS, Mail didn't do this and whatever happened on Yahoo didn't happen locally. Bad enough for Yahoo to just lose stuff. But for it to disappear off my computer while it was switched off over Christmas is creepy and horrible.

Thanks.

jbarnesweb

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Why Would the Factory Settings on Mail in iPhone 4S Delete Mail?

I can't imagine why such a destructive setting would be the default. What were they thinking? I started losing e-mail when I upgraded to 4S. Unfortunately, I didn't notice it in time to get years of e-mail.

Shame on me for not backing up. Shame on Apple for a phone upgrade that behaves this way.

TexasEric

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I am using an iPhone 4S with 5.01 and I am also having these issues. I did notice two things: First, it is an IMAP issue. If you set up the account using the built in Yahoo Mail option, you will be using IMAP and have the problem. If you use the 'other' option it will be pop mail and you will NOT have the problem. The side effect of this is that you will not have access to any sub-folders you made in yahoo mail. Second, I am only having this issue with mail that has attachments (or at least, images).

Hope this helps!!

sandyako

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
I found the solution to my problem.

My yahoo emails were getting deleted randomly from my phone. Or so I thought. Then I was checking emails on my phone and computer within minutes of each other and realized that as soon as they showed up on my computer, they disappeared on my phone. I use Windows mail and I had my settings to delete messages from server after receiving. I changed it to delete messages from server only when I delete them from deleted items and the problem has stopped. I also noticed that if I moved the emails into a folder, they wouldn't delete automatically. Your iphone works directly off of the online yahoo server. It doesn't download emails to your phone. I don't know if you all are having the problem for the same reason as me, but I figure it was worth posting in case it could help someone else.

TexasEric

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
I use Windows mail and I had my settings to delete messages from server after receiving. I changed it to delete messages from server only when I delete them from deleted items and the problem has stopped.

Sorry, but I am a little lost here... Where exactly are these settings? I don't see them on my iPhone mail settings. Did you create the account on your iPhone as an "other" mail account or a "Yahoo!" mail account?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.