Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Generally no, the lowest version of OSX you can install is the version that was installed when you first purchased your mac.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Generally no, the lowest version of OSX you can install is the version that was installed when you first purchased your mac.

Not necessarily the case here, though, as the base logic board is same as early 2011, sharing the same EFI updates. So it may well work, but you'll need the snowleopard disk specifically meant for the early 2011, as they never merged it's version into the general line.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Not necessarily the case here, though, as the base logic board is same as early 2011, sharing the same EFI updates. So it may well work, but you'll need the snowleopard disk specifically meant for the early 2011, as they never merged it's version into the general line.

One would have to try with a cloned drive with the latest Snow Leopard on it to know for sure, it'd be a quick and painless way to do it.

As a general rule of thumb though, the earliest version of OS X you can stick on a Mac is the one the computer came with.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
One would have to try with a cloned drive with the latest Snow Leopard on it to know for sure, it'd be a quick and painless way to do it.

As a general rule of thumb though, the earliest version of OS X you can stick on a Mac is the one the computer came with.

Yeah, usually applies. And may well not work for the high end 2011 due to having slightly different graphics chip, the lower end one is more likely.

But yes, would have to be snow leopard from an early mbp 2011 though, not any other machine.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
iMacDragon is correct and I can confirm 10.6.8 working on the late 2011, but only the lower end graphics. Not to say it won't work, but you will have to wait til someone tests it.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
iMacDragon is correct and I can confirm 10.6.8 working on the late 2011, but only the lower end graphics. Not to say it won't work, but you will have to wait til someone tests it.

Thought that might be the case.

The higher end one may still work, it depends how fussy the graphics driver is. Both chips are in the same family, and would be driver by the same driver, just depends how fussily they've been setup.

Ramasjang

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
I got a set of early 2011 DVD's which I used to install 10.6.6 on my late 2011 low end 15".
I did not install the EFI 2.3 update before, I think the new EFI update might limit this, since it 10.6.8 and up.

elgargui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
I got a set of early 2011 DVD's which I used to install 10.6.6 on my late 2011 low end 15".
I did not install the EFI 2.3 update before, I think the new EFI update might limit this, since it 10.6.8 and up.

thanks a lot ,I will try on it

elgargui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
I try install from the 10.6.6 from the early macbook pro 2011 install disc , but failed......:mad:

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Ok here is the latest! First some background. A cpl of months ago i bought an early 2011 base 13" mbp. It came from the apple store online as a refurb and had lion on it. I took it to the genius bar and 25 minutes later had sl on it. No problem. I just picked up another base 13 mbp in an open box deal at bestbuy -- a steal at $800. It had lion. I took it to the genius bar, came back an hour later and they couldnt do it. Seems it was a late early 2011 -- shipped by apple in late july 2011 -- and the firmware had been updated ONLY for lion. It really pissed me off cause i have one major pgm that i use that is incompatible with lion. Ms word 2004. I will now have to upgrade On the other hand while i havent spent extensive time with the new lion based mbp yet i do like it. So far lion is VERY fast. Some things are a bit hard to discover or get used to -- mail has some changes and safari does too. But overall i like it. But i will keep my other macs on snow leopard.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
The 10.6.8 drive from my aluminium MacBook worked without a hitch in my late 2011 15" when transplanted in.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1272607/

I don't have the restore discs to test, however installation using a Retail copy and Firewire Target disk mode on the new Mac connected to a compatible older Mac should get a clean copy installed that can be updated to 10.6.8.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I moved my SSD with SL installed from my 1st gen Mac Pro to my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.

I then used the copy of Lion I'd downloaded for my late-2010 MBA and created a bootable USB and upgraded the MBP.

All works perfectly.

So yes I think SL from any source will work fine.

elgargui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Ok here is the latest! First some background. A cpl of months ago i bought an early 2011 base 13" mbp. It came from the apple store online as a refurb and had lion on it. I took it to the genius bar and 25 minutes later had sl on it. No problem. I just picked up another base 13 mbp in an open box deal at bestbuy -- a steal at $800. It had lion. I took it to the genius bar, came back an hour later and they couldnt do it. Seems it was a late early 2011 -- shipped by apple in late july 2011 -- and the firmware had been updated ONLY for lion. It really pissed me off cause i have one major pgm that i use that is incompatible with lion. Ms word 2004. I will now have to upgrade On the other hand while i havent spent extensive time with the new lion based mbp yet i do like it. So far lion is VERY fast. Some things are a bit hard to discover or get used to -- mail has some changes and safari does too. But overall i like it. But i will keep my other macs on snow leopard.

thanks a lot for your post ,and i tried take my mbp to genius bar and didn't worked on 10.6.8, so I think use the SSD installed from early machine maybe can work for

----------

I moved my SSD with SL installed from my 1st gen Mac Pro to my late-2011 17" MBP and it worked perfectly.

I then used the copy of Lion I'd downloaded for my late-2010 MBA and created a bootable USB and upgraded the MBP.

All works perfectly.

So yes I think SL from any source will work fine.

I will try on it ! thanks a lot !

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
For those that got 10.6.8 to work on the 2011 MacBook Pro models, does sleep work OK for you?

I find that occasionally the computer (when closed/sleeping) will enter deep sleep/hibernate (even though the battery has quite a high charge >50%).

The power button will then not wake the laptop: I have to physcially plug in the power cable. Then press power button. The system then resumes from hibernate.

Question: what is causing the system to intermittently enter hibernate of its own accord? And why won't it resume without plugging in the power?

I've tried disabling safesleep (change from mode 3 to mode 0), but then it still happens, but to bring the system back up, I still need to plug in the power, press the power button, but then it boots rather than comes out of hibernation (I guess because no sleep image was saved). What I want to do is PREVENT the dropping into hibernate at all (or if it does, not require the power cable!).

I didn't use the system with Lion for more than an hour, so not sure if this could be hardware or OS issue...or perhaps a persistent Firmware setting remaining form the Lion install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.