Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
All you need is a SATA II. A SATA III will work since they are backward compatible but you will not see any speed increase using a SATA III over a SATA II plus they usually cost more.

If I were you I would go with the SATA II Intel 320 or Samsung 470. Users here have found those both very compatible and reliable drives.

The fact is that the shop where i buy does not sell SATA II anymore. Plus i thought that if i'd buy SATA III now, it could be used in the future Mac, if i ever buy one more.

And btw, Vertex 2 or Agility 2?

We might see a huge price cut early next year if the stuff I have been hearing lately is correct. Should have a confirmation on Monday, so stay tuned.
You mean price cuts for all the SSDs next year?

Last edited:

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Price cut is probably a wrong term because the SSDs would be a bit different from what we have today. I should know more tomorrow.

Are you talking about the TLC SSD's that are supposed to arrive on the market early next year that are supposed to offer storage at price around $.60/Gb?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Are you talking about the TLC SSD's that are supposed to arrive on the market early next year that are supposed to offer storage at price around $.60/Gb?

Yes. I might have a more specific timeframe for the release tomorrow when OCZ replies. I'll wrap up an article on it with more info on TLC in general (endurance etc).

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Yes. I might have a more specific timeframe for the release tomorrow when OCZ replies. I'll wrap up an article on it with more info on TLC in general (endurance etc).

Nice. I read that the lifespan of the drives is supposed to be dramatically reduced (about 4 years instead of 10), at least in the early versions. Maybe they can get that up a little.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Nice. I read that the lifespan of the drives is supposed to be dramatically reduced (about 4 years instead of 10), at least in the early versions. Maybe they can get that up a little.

That is the main question I need an answer for. Some article claimed 1000 P/E cycles but that is very relative, it's up to the manufacturing process too (smaller = less cycles). Years is also a poor measure because it depends on one's usage - a heavy user can fill 1000 P/E cycles in a year.

Anyway, I should have more info tomorrow.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That is the main question I need an answer for. Some article claimed 1000 P/E cycles but that is very relative, it's up to the manufacturing process too (smaller = less cycles). Years is also a poor measure because it depends on one's usage - a heavy user can fill 1000 P/E cycles in a year.

Info I saw mentioned a release in Q1 2012.

ianpolinar

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Faenza, Italy
SSD Buying Guide

I wonder if I actually made a mistake, when two days ago I ordered,

for my MacBook Pro 17''(model MC725LL/a Feb2011),

the SSD Corsair Force F-120 GB2-BRKT, paid 100 GBP, as it's

refurbished by a manufacturer-approved vendor, sealed in the box and

with 2 years warranty....

I should get it next week at my home, here in Italy.

I thought it was a bargain, but after reading this thread..now

I am not so sure.

I saw that my Corsair F-120 is not considered very good, among the

"first class" competitors during the tests shown in this thread.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I wonder if I actually made a mistake, when two days ago I ordered, for my MacBook Pro 17''(model MC725LL/a Feb2011), the SSD Corsair Force F-120 GB2-BRKT, paid 100 GBP

That is a pretty standard SATA II drive that uses the same SandForce SF-1200 controller as in many other drives and will work just fine for you. It does not have the peak transfer speeds of some of the newer SATA III drives, but unless you are after working with large data files (like a long video) you are not going to notice a difference.

You will be fine. Don't get too hung up on all these benchmark peak speeds.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
I'm probably getting an OCW Mercury Extreme PRO 6G (120 GB) for my MBP soon...

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi

Spastik84

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
A few weeks ago I installed a brand new OCZ Vertex 2 120GB in my Macbook Pro2.2. It ran fine for 2 weeks and then suddenly my mbp didn't boot anymore...

The disk wasn't recognised anymore. The SSD was completely dead.

Try a google search, you'll find many people with this problem...(controller related)

My advise: do not buy a OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

I'm now waiting for my Intel 320 series to arrive... (hopefully more luck with this drive)

jinshin45

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
HI~all,

I recently want to buy SSD. There two brand I will choose Intel 320 300GB(SATA2) and M4 256GB(SATA3).

I also heard many people have freezin and beach ball issues. Some people say

that 13" early 2011 MBP work fine with sata3 SSD. Is this true ? If that so, I may want to choose M4 instead

Intel. But Ireally afraid if the SSD go wrong. Anyone test this two SSD already?

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011

Just curious, did you find out any more info? I've been waiting anxiously for a few days for more news. :)

To me the idea of using TLC NAND in a SSD doesn't sound very good. I really hope that that isn't where the industry is headed. I would much rather pay extra for an MLC SSD and not have to worry so much about the life expectancy of it. $.60/GB doesn't mean much to me if the thing is going to wear out so quickly.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
Samsung 830

Has anyone picked up the new Samsung 830 SSD?
I was going to jump on the 256GB from Newegg when they had it in stock. Then I read the returns policy -- they only accept returns for replacements within 30 days. No refunds.
Not exactly something I want to risk ($400+) with the questions of SATA III stability on my early 2011 15".

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
HI~all,

I recently want to buy SSD. There two brand I will choose Intel 320 300GB(SATA2) and M4 256GB(SATA3).

I also heard many people have freezin and beach ball issues. Some people say

that 13" early 2011 MBP work fine with sata3 SSD. Is this true ? If that so, I may want to choose M4 instead

Intel. But Ireally afraid if the SSD go wrong. Anyone test this two SSD already?

From what I have been reading, M4 seems to be a solid choice now. The EFI update was supposed to fix SATA issues, and I haven't heard complaints for awhile.

Just curious, did you find out any more info? I've been waiting anxiously for a few days for more news. :)

To me the idea of using TLC NAND in a SSD doesn't sound very good. I really hope that that isn't where the industry is headed. I would much rather pay extra for an MLC SSD and not have to worry so much about the life expectancy of it. $.60/GB doesn't mean much to me if the thing is going to wear out so quickly.

OCZ couldn't tell much as they haven't chosen the NAND supplier yet. I have emailed Intel/Micron asking how does their 25nm TLC perform to get a some kind of an idea, but they haven't replied yet.

It's actually going to be a bit more detailed than I though, hence the waiting too. I'll be talking about why TLC and MLC degrade quicker than SLC, which is actually a quite complex thing.

I hope to have it ready during next week. Mainly waiting for the responses to finish it :)

RedneckBob

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Wanted to report that I installed a OCZ Agility 3 480G in a mid 2010 17" Macbook Pro. Used the opti-bay and kept the 1G 5400 as a datastore.

Did this 3 days ago and I have to say it was worth every single penny.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Nice guide hellhammer! wish I would have found it earlier.

Either way, question here folks.

How would performance and options be on the following setup:

New MBP 13" with the 320 GB drive
replace the drive with ? SSD drive of 128GB capacity
Put the 320 GB in the optical bay drive.

Given the above, and this will be shipped with Lion:
How with the gaming be?
What drive should I buy for trim support, and performance without risking compatibility issues?

Is the above a good move? It's a gift, and I need to buy soon.

Thanks all!

TrevorBaum

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Has anyone picked up the new Samsung 830 SSD?
I was going to jump on the 256GB from Newegg when they had it in stock. Then I read the returns policy -- they only accept returns for replacements within 30 days. No refunds.
Not exactly something I want to risk ($400+) with the questions of SATA III stability on my early 2011 15".

I'm curious about the Samsung 830 too - anyone have any experience? Any comparisons out there with the Crucial M4?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Nice guide hellhammer! wish I would have found it earlier.

Either way, question here folks.

How would performance and options be on the following setup:

New MBP 13" with the 320 GB drive
replace the drive with ? SSD drive of 128GB capacity
Put the 320 GB in the optical bay drive.

Given the above, and this will be shipped with Lion:
How with the gaming be?
What drive should I buy for trim support, and performance without risking compatibility issues?

Is the above a good move? It's a gift, and I need to buy soon.

Thanks all!

Here would be my recommendations:
  • Crucial M4
  • Samsung PM830
  • Samsung 470 Series
  • Intel 320 Series

In that order too. M4 appears to be a good drive now that its issues have been solved. Price is affordable too, and TRIM can be enabled.

I'm curious about the Samsung 830 too - anyone have any experience? Any comparisons out there with the Crucial M4?

Anand said it has been working fine for him under OS X. In general, Samsung SSDs seem to be pretty universal and issue-free. Check out the review here.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Here would be my recommendations:
  • Crucial M4
  • Samsung PM830
  • Samsung 470 Series
  • Intel 320 Series

In that order too. M4 appears to be a good drive now that its issues have been solved. Price is affordable too, and TRIM can be enabled.

Anand said it has been working fine for him under OS X. In general, Samsung SSDs seem to be pretty universal and issue-free. Check out the review here.

Awesome thread, def going to pick up a Crucial M4 for my late 2011 MBP.

MacConnection has a sale on the 128 M4 for $187.
I pulled the trigger, and now need to get the MBP and part to Intall the HD in the optical bay. I am going to put the SSD in the main bay.

Thanks again thread-

SayMilesAway

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
Florida
MacConnection has a sale on the 128 M4 for $187.
I pulled the trigger, and now need to get the MBP and part to Intall the HD in the optical bay. I am going to put the SSD in the main bay.

Thanks again thread-

Oh awesome thanks. I really like the idea of putting the HD where the optical drive is because you have a storage drive but I just can't give up my optical I don't think lol

seanmorr

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
owc mercury?

what are peoples opinions on the owc mercury 6g's?
worth the premium over crucial m4's

I'm looking to upgrade to a 256 ssd in a late 2011 MBP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.